I am working on a masters degree...so I find it very tough to get into the mindset to study and play guitar.

I know basic theory, taught guitar, and have played for about 4 years. I want to get way better but just dont know how to go about balancing everything. How do you guys do it with school and work? Any advice/opinions or experiences?
Quote by dvm25
I am working on a masters degree...so I find it very tough to get into the mindset to study and play guitar.

I know basic theory, taught guitar, and have played for about 4 years. I want to get way better but just dont know how to go about balancing everything. How do you guys do it with school and work? Any advice/opinions or experiences?

I don't do a **** in school.
But that won't help you.
Music helps remembering things.
Write a song (music) and make your lyrics something you need to study.
A very famous song in this type is the element song.
You'll learn the names of elements throughout the whole song.
You can practice songwriting and learning at the same time, and because you'll get your shit down faster you'll have time to play.
If you want to make big jumps you need to get a schedule for training.
As a serial procratinator, i find it extremely easy to find time for guitar playing while the pressures of uni work builds up.

However, here's how i worked out my playing around my study:
-During examtime and other similar deadline heavy spots in the calender, my guitar became an ornament of dust-collection.
-That said, when I needed to relax and take a break from studying, I would play. Not 'practicing' or 'learning' or anything like that, but sling it round my shoulders and play some songs. loud. jump around in my bedroom.
-Then when work pressures subsided a bit, I would go back to focusing on techniques and scales and songs etc.

Life is all about balance. It takes a while to learn, but once you get the hang of balance and self control, you own life.
call me ziggy.
You have to plan your time and plan your practice. If you get time a college to work on your work, dont waste a second of it.

Working your way through lessons on sights like Justin Guitar and guitarlessons365 can be a great way of learning lots when you have limited time.

Odd lessons to check up on things can be good to stop bad techniques, bad habbits or miss understandings.
I like earthisearthis' distinction between "playing" and "learning". I find it difficult to jump right into guitar after a dry spell and begin learning. I like to have a bit of fun first and just let go of whatever tensions I have. Of course, learning new stuff is fun, but a different kind

Now, to be on topic: I'm guilty of the same thing you are. We're actually quite similar--I've been playing for 6 years, have slowly growing knowledge of music theory, and most often I'm busy with school. I usually don't touch my guitar until the weekend. In fact, the first time I played all week was last night, but I did so for a good two hours.

One tip I have is: does your college offer music courses? It may be because I'm a music major, but I'm constantly enrolled in music classes. Last year it was a basic theory class and a guitar class, this year a piano class and more advanced guitar class. Unless your schedule is full of major-related stuff, that's a good way to... convince yourself to play, if it's for a class.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
You have to be honest with yourself, as to what you can maintain. You may have to table any real progress till after your masters. I have one online student that's also an MIT student full time, and he manages to do both, but that may not be what works for your situation...and that's something you'd have to decide.

Best,

Sean