Im guessing im doing it wrong but I cant get a good amount of sound when I hammer on.
It sounds quiet and or sometimes sounds like overtones.
Do you pretty much just smashing your finger onto a fret right?
Also same goes to pulling off, I can't get any sound from that also.

Please help!
Just press down quickly and firmly on the string. The more gain, the more audible it is, so practice with moderate gain, and eventually use less to build accuracy and clarity.
With pull offs, try pulling a little to the side, but not too much. you shouldn't be pulling straight off the string.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Assuming the guitar set up is fine (as in no dead spots, buzz) you are going to have to develop a strong fretting hand and slam that string for a hammer, and tug the string when you pull off.
And dont actually slam ON the fret, rather just besides it.

(This should be obvious to more experienced players, but seeing as you're asking about this, you're probably a beginner so you can never be sure. )
Quote by Y00p

(This should be obvious to more experienced players, but seeing as you're asking about this, you're probably a beginner so you can never be sure. )

No you actually do hit the fret. It's the fret bar itself that you are thinking of.

TS, your problem is probably just a lack of practice. As you get more used to the instrument, hammer ons become easier. For pull offs, you want to sort of do a tiny bend on the string before you take you finger off. It's not a 'lift off', you have pull the string a bit so it vibrates when you remove your finger. Once you get used to it, you will do it without thinking.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
No you actually do hit the fret. It's the fret bar itself that you are thinking of.

TS, your problem is probably just a lack of practice. As you get more used to the instrument, hammer ons become easier. For pull offs, you want to sort of do a tiny bend on the string before you take you finger off. It's not a 'lift off', you have pull the string a bit so it vibrates when you remove your finger. Once you get used to it, you will do it without thinking.

Quote by Y00p

Thank you, the "bar" is the actual, literal fret. Being next to it stops the strings vibrations at the fret (the little bar), creating the selected note.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.