Guys, I'm trying to get a new guitar. I own a Strat copy guitar. So, I'm not looking for a "strat-ish" one.

I checked out the Epiphones and ESPs. But I cant quite make a decision. I play all genres. Rock & metal (intermediate guitarist). I want the guitar to last really long.

I'm a little bit biased towards the Les Paul shape. But, you guys can go broad with your suggestions.

Thanks in advance
I hate to be this guy but what amp are you using?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Agile al-3000 ( Les paul copy ) 425 $ ( 3010, 3100 are as good , pretty much the same )

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss13.html

the cheaper ltd ec-1000 is 599 $ and doesnt have the EMG 81/60 but alnico v humbucker . so its probably similar to Agile and epiphone .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
You could look around for a used LTD EC4XX or 1000, go used for under $500.
Ibanez please. They make super strats, I know you don't want a strat but, they are best quality for what you pay.
Last edited by cemges at Jan 28, 2012,
Quote by JKHC
I hate to be this guy but what amp are you using?

I use a not-so-well-known knockoff "Stranger" amp (Indian).
Quote by techroach
I use a not-so-well-known knockoff "Stranger" amp (Indian).

Are you planning on upgrading your amp soon?

If not, then I'd say look into a used amp and guitar. An example would be a used Epiphone trad pro for around 300 and a decent modeler (mustang, vypyr, cube etc) for 200.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Are you planning on upgrading your amp soon?

If not, then I'd say look into a used amp and guitar. An example would be a used Epiphone trad pro for around 300 and a decent modeler (mustang, vypyr, cube etc) for 200.

I agree with this, an amp is more important to your tone than your guitar.
Quote by Skysc
Agile al-3000 ( Les paul copy ) 425 $ ( 3010, 3100 are as good , pretty much the same )

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss13.html

the cheaper ltd ec-1000 is 599 $ and doesnt have the EMG 81/60 but alnico v humbucker . so its probably similar to Agile and epiphone .

^This
Agile is very versatile, with the stock pickups it already comes with.
LTD is more on the metal stuff, not exactly the most versatile guitar
Epiphone is classic-rock, pretty versatile
you choose
Quote by dragonkidkoga
^This
Agile is very versatile, with the stock pickups it already comes with.
LTD is more on the metal stuff, not exactly the most versatile guitar
Epiphone is classic-rock, pretty versatile
you choose

My ass say it's not versatile, just because it's ESP/LTD doesn't mean it's always metal.
^what he says. like **** its only for metal. best bloody cheap guitars around, far better than epi/aria/squier/whateverelseyouhaveatyourlocalshop.

all in the settings
ESP is versitile unless it has EMGs then its a straight up metal guitar
What the hell!!!
I tested a Hellraiser C1 with EMG 85/81 and I got a decent clean out of a 30w peavey.
Quote by N1K156
I tested a Hellraiser C1 with EMG 85/81 and I got a decent clean out of a 30w peavey.

IMHO, any clean you can get out of an EMG is going to sound rather sterile and lack the character that passives have. Using the right settings and such to your advantage can get you closer, but it's still not quite the same.

Also, don't knock the metal brands completely. Though most of their offerings will be geared toward the metalhead, you can find surprisingly versatile instruments.
Yeah...yet I will play with gain more (thrash) but the guitar was sold That's why I hate passives...they suck with distortion...
Quote by N1K156
Yeah...yet I will play with gain more (thrash) but the guitar was sold That's why I hate passives...they suck with distortion...

Passive pickups don't suck with distortion. There are alot of passive pickups that sound great with distortion but dont have the compressed lack of character tone that most emgs give you. Yes you get a little more bite with emgs, but passive pickups give you a fatter sound.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Can I have some audible proof please? And what do you mean 'fatter' sound? Is that good for shredding Slayer or Megadeth?
Distortion of an active humbucker sounds so bad to me. At that much gain, you just don't understand what the hell you are playing. They have frikin disgusting treble response as well. And they are creating such indesirable sounds. So go for passive.
Quote by N1K156
Can I have some audible proof please? And what do you mean 'fatter' sound? Is that good for shredding Slayer or Megadeth?

I mean emg's in general sound compressed, there is more high end bite but thinner sound. Passive pickups usually have a more warm sound with better low end.

For example you asked if passive pickups are good for megadeth type stuff. Well Megadeth guitarist chris broderick signature guitar has passive pickups.

http://www.gearhounds.com/jackson-chris-broderick-signature-electric-guitar.aspx
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
I'm an ESP person, but you can't go really wrong with either brand. I do suggest active pickups, with the best being EMG 8x's, but maybe that's just personal preference.

Also, EMG's do not sound sterile at all. I'll tell you what sounds sterile, even when using Gibson USA humbuckers in a Les Paul: a ****ing "digital" Line 6. This is from own experience with my bandmate.
Quote by N1K156

Also I don't know what kind of audible proof I can give you, but since you mentioned shredding I'll make it simple for you. Who are widely considered to be the best shredders in the world?

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, john petrucci, yngwie malmsteen, Michael Angelo Batio, Paul Gilbert, Slash, Eddie Van Halen

All of them use passive pickups
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by danvwman
ESP is versitile unless it has EMGs then its a straight up metal guitar

get off the bandwagon. EMG's arent only for metal.

Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by guitarguychris1
Also I don't know what kind of audible proof I can give you, but since you mentioned shredding I'll make it simple for you. Who are widely considered to be the best shredders in the world?

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, john petrucci, yngwie malmsteen, Michael Angelo Batio, Paul Gilbert, Slash, Eddie Van Halen

All of them use passive pickups

Dude, just no. They are great guitarist and stuff, I like them too, but you just don't come up with anything that's not "based on" 80's rock.
Quote by EspTro

get off the bandwagon. EMG's arent only for metal.

Dude it is my ears opinion. The only sound I can get out of my EMGs is the tone off of Seasons in the abyss. Otherwise they are just too harsh, lack dynamics(they hit a wall) and to get a good tone ((other than Slayer)I need to use both pups and blend them.
Now the guitar they are in has a Kahler and maybe that adds to the lack of something they have?
But the are very sensitive I will give them that. So they arnt junk ....just to me very limited to the tone/sound they can produce.
What the hell!!!
And I will be playing thrashing metal...so the EMGs are a great match, and Broderick is the only guitarist out of the big 4 that uses passive pickups...
Quote by Von II
Dude, just no. They are great guitarist and stuff, I like them too, but you just don't come up with anything that's not "based on" 80's rock.

I named those guys because they are considered the best shredders. Most of them are still playing today, and most are still using passive pickups. There are 1000's of good guitarist out there who play multiple different styles, but I picked those names because they are widely reguarded as the best in the area that he asked about. There is nothing wrong with the info I gave him
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by N1K156
And I will be playing thrashing metal...so the EMGs are a great match, and Broderick is the only guitarist out of the big 4 that uses passive pickups...

who are the big 4 in you opinion? You gotta go with your ear and something you are happy with, if you want emg's get them, but they are generally much less versitile than passive pickups.
GEAR
Vox SDC 33
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Last edited by guitarguychris1 at Feb 2, 2012,
Quote by danvwman
Dude it is my ears opinion. The only sound I can get out of my EMGs is the tone off of Seasons in the abyss. Otherwise they are just too harsh, lack dynamics(they hit a wall) and to get a good tone ((other than Slayer)I need to use both pups and blend them.
Now the guitar they are in has a Kahler and maybe that adds to the lack of something they have?
But the are very sensitive I will give them that. So they arnt junk ....just to me very limited to the tone/sound they can produce.

whats your amp? they can cover a lot of genres.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Emgs are sterile, compressed and completely kill any character a guitar has.
Quote by guitarguychris1
who are the big 4 in you opinion? You gotta go with your ear and something you are happy with, if you want emg's get them, but they are generally much less versitile than passive pickups.

When I played that hellraiser, it sounded quite clear, haven't heard passives through anything other than computer speakers I will though when I play the RG570...Amp will be a 30w vypyr.
Quote by EspTro
whats your amp? they can cover a lot of genres.

Amps 65 Fender bandmaster , Crate g600, AVT150h, lab series L3 and a Marshall 9001 pre amp. My Invader and my Dragonfires and my Rockfields are more versitile. Remember I am not saying they suck. I think EMGX would be better, those are to supposed to have addressed the squashed output I.E. they just cut off(square wave) while passive have a gentle output rolloff.

Kinda like how a piano sounds better on a record anolog vs older digital formats.
What the hell!!!
What i got from the original post was.
Rock/Metal, Intermediate guitarist, Epiphone or ESP.

In your Position i say ESP. Sorry for not explaining but i just like to be to the point.
"Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling." - Anonymous
Quote by ChamsRock
I agree with this, an amp is more important to your tone than your guitar.

People don't buy guitars for only better tone. How many times this has to be told? I bought my Charvel So Cal to replace my old Epiphone Les Paul even though I only had a Micro Cube as my amp. But people are using other amps than only their own amp. And at home your tone doesn't have to be so good. So people (like me) buy the guitar before a new amp because they want a Floyd Rose or better feeling guitar or something and they aren't going to play live with their own amp yet. Guitar is not only about tone, it's about feel, too. Of course I bought the Charvel because of it's tone too but it wasn't the only thing that mattered. And tone can be improved, feel can't.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115