What is the difference? I can hear a classic heavy metal and a thrash metal influence on both, and to me bands within those genres basically sound the same? I haven't heard much speed metal, so maybe that's the reason?

While discussing feel free to suggest me some new american power metal bands which don't sound like Iced Earth, Helloween and have an unique sound :P
Look for the ones that are lost in Necropolis...
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
The rec thread at the top of the page has everything you need for recommendations.

Power metal and speed metal used to be fairly synonymous back in the 80s, but definitely not now. This thread is going to inevitably end up as a pointless argument as to who are power metal, and who are speed metal, blah blah etc. - so i'll settle it here.

Rhapsody of Fire are what people call power metal these days, and they're fucking shit.

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction is what was called power metal back then, and it's fucking great.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
The rec thread at the top of the page has everything you need for recommendations.

Power metal and speed metal used to be fairly synonymous back in the 80s, but definitely not now. This thread is going to inevitably end up as a pointless argument as to who are power metal, and who are speed metal, blah blah etc. - so i'll settle it here.

Rhapsody of Fire are what people call power metal these days, and they're fucking shit.

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction is what was called power metal back then, and it's fucking great.

I haven't paid Rhapsody of Fire any attention, but Jag Panzer is great! But is it only me that thinks the american Speed/power metal bands sound too much alike? I think Jag Panzer is like a second Iced Earth or something :/ But yeah I'll go to the rec thread! :P