Is it supposed to do this? Last night I just put in some Ernie ball Power Slinkies as opposed to whatever stock strings are. I didn't notice until a little earlier today that whenever I apply even the slightest tug or even an all out bend, I heard a little creaking noise. I freaked out so then I started looking all around my guitar to see if something was rattling, then I of course saw it was the bridge lifting up. Is this something I should be worried about?
Attachments:
photo (1).JPG
Thats..... weird for sure. If it's the literal bridge and not just the saddle, just screw it down more.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by warbeast19
my floyd rose does that, as far as i know its normal for whammy bar equipped guitars.

This^

Didn't even think about the whammy.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
By the way, that's a picture of it without touching anything at all, it just 'floats'. Even when I had the whammy in before, I didn't really notice it. Could it be because of all the new tension from my new strings?
It basically means your tremolo is balanced "just right." Unless it's throwing off your playing or de-tuning your guitar, don't worry about it.

What is happening is that the tension you are adding to the string in the bend is making the overall tension of strings overcome the opposing tension from the tremolo springs in the back of your guitar, which causes the bridge to lift up a bit.

EDIT: ^That's normal, if it just floats there right now. If you use the tremolo, it allows you to pull up a little bit to increase the pitch of a note. Many guitars with Synchronized Tremolo-style bridge/trem units are factory set up to float like that. If you want it to be tight on the body, open up the back plate and tighten down the springs or add an extra spring.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jan 28, 2012,
Sounds like the tension's just too much for the springs to handle, which is easily solved by removing the back plate and screwing the spring claw deeper into the body until your bridge is able to handle the extra tension while you're bending

If you're talking about something else you should perhaps be more specific

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you need to adjust the spring tension on your trem to compensate for the heavier strings used now.

That is not normal for a vintage style trem.

Have you re-slotted the nut for the bigger strings? if not you need to or it will not stay in tune worth a crap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's not throwing off my noob playing or anything, haha, I'm just worried cause this has NEVER happened until today, if it's something that's supposed to occur, then all's well. I just don't want anything to break.
Quote by SickSadWaste
It's not throwing off my noob playing or anything, haha, I'm just worried cause this has NEVER happened until today, if it's something that's supposed to occur, then all's well. I just don't want anything to break.

No that type of bridge is soposed to sit flat on the guitar body, not lift up unless your doing it with the trem bar.

If you do not know how to do this I strongly sugest you take it to a guitar tech that does.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So is it just a matter of screwing it down tighter? It's a cheap starter guitar, so I'm not sure if it's even worth getting money dumped into it for better hardware and adjustments. I don't have a job yet but I'm planning to save up for the Schecter SGR C-1 when I finally do have one.
Quote by Robbgnarly
No that type of bridge is soposed to sit flat on the guitar body, not lift up unless your doing it with the trem bar.

Actually, the Synchronized Tremolo was designed to float, specifically with a 3.2mm gap between the body and the rear of the bridge.

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/stratocaster-setup-guide (see the "Tremolo" section as I can't actually link to it).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I got my strat setup so it floats SLIGHTLY. It can be normal unless it ****s with thy tuning. Depends on your personal preference if it is flat on body or slightly floating.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by kangaxxter
Actually, the Synchronized Tremolo was designed to float, specifically with a 3.2mm gap between the body and the rear of the bridge.

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/stratocaster-setup-guide (see the "Tremolo" section as I can't actually link to it).

Um, so you know, this isn't a fender or anything special, it's just a Spectrum. So I highly doubt it meets any of those specifications. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a defective guitar
Quote by Robbgnarly

If you do not know how to do this I strongly sugest you take it to a guitar tech that does.

Lots of people float the Strat style tremolo bridge (Jeff Beck for instance). You do lose tuning stability but are able to trem a note above and below pitch instead of below only if the bridge rests on the top.
Moving on.....
that's normal

if you prefer it flat to the guitar's body tighten the springs round teh back under the backplate (there are two big screws to do that).

if you want it to float, leave it as is. or adjust it so it floats at your preferred angle.

yeah it was probably caused by changing the string gauge to a heavier gauge.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Before I make any changes, will I notice any difference in the sound if I tighten it down? And thank you, to everyone that answered
Quote by Robbgnarly

Many experienced Strat players agree that you should set up a vintage trem to float. This way you can pull up after a slight dive so that the strings doesn't catch by the nut.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by SickSadWaste
Before I make any changes, will I notice any difference in the sound if I tighten it down? And thank you, to everyone that answered

maybe

you *might* notice a little more "air" to the sound if it's floating (by that i mean like slightly more natural reverb, that type of thing)

of course it might just be psychological

i mean if you really care just try it both ways and see which you prefer. it's completely reversible either way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also, if I leave it as is, is there ANY chance whatsoever that anything could break from either using the whammy or doing bends? Cause so far it really doesn't seem worth it to tighten it down
should be fine as long as the bridge is made ok

i mean they were designed to float originally
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?