Heya. I have a problem which I don't know how to fix, at all, and that I probably should have thought of fixing a long time ago..

however..:

When I press my finger/s against the fret board, then slide my hand along the neck towards the pickups and end up at a fret where it >should< be an E for example, the tone is lower than it should be, somewhere between an E and an Eb. If it should be a B, it's somewhere between B and Bb. Almost every time this happen, the string/s also drop a little in tune, so I have to correct it.

This is a huge pain in the a§§ since I love playing my electric guitar. I've played guitar for almost five years, and I'm not bad at playing, or play in a weird way for what I know, plus, my guitar shouldn't be too bad since it's more or less new (model: ESP LTD H-1001FM STBK), so I really have no idea what's causing this to happen.

I have tried looking it up on the web, but I find nothing at all, NO ONE seems to have this kind of problem. I've pretty much always had this problem also, which has made me unable to "slide" my hand along the fret board, I've always just found another way to make it sound right.

Is there anyone that knows what I'm talking about, or at least have any idea what it could be and/or how to fix it? If so, let me know, it's so annoying that it sounds bad when you know that you actually play it right..

Other information that perhaps could be useful..:

My current guitar has locking tuners, and a locking bridge. My strings rust easily and are almost always rusty since I play a lot of guitar, therefore I change strings twice a month or something like that. Some of the current strings are rusty.

Is it my locking tuners that are "bad"? Could it be my locking bridge? Perhaps it's my guitar playing technique, or perhaps it's the rust on my strings that causes it to sound bad?

Thanks in advance for all helpful replies // André.
is the intonation correct on the guitar? By this if you have a tuner play the string open and tune it. Then press down the 12th fret and play that string again, is the note still in tune? If not you need to adjust the saddle for that string.
Move the saddle twards the headstock if it is flat, and twards the bottom of the guitar if it is sharp.

Do this for each individual string. ALSO MAKE SHURE YOU LOSSEN THE STRING BEFORE YOU MOVE THE SADDLE or you can mess some stuff up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
This could be your Intonation, frets, action, or even saddle height. I had to adjust the Intonation on my guitar today because my notes above the 12th fret sounded flat.

Just google how to set a guitars Intonation for a video to explain what I mean. The frets could be worn and could cause the problem as well. The action and saddle height would be the last place I would check. Hope this helps!
Of course I'm doing that procedure every time I change strings, and it helps a little, but not completely. Before I know it, it sounds bad again

Is there really nothing else that could be causing this problem? Does old strings cause this to happen to you?
You could have a bent neck and will need to adjust the truss rod to make it better.

From jj1565's Ultimate Guitar setup thread :
"with a balanced bridge...
fret the Low E on the first fret.
then - at the same time,
fret the Low E on the last fret, where the neck and body meet. ~19th fret.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th

If the string lays on the fret wire there, you probably do not have enough neck bend.
If the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you probably have too much.

ideally, see if a thin-medium pick fits in the middle gap."

Check out that thread too, and be really careful with your truss rod if you do need to adjust it. You'd probably have to redo the intonation after the truss rod.

Also, yes rusty strings will seriously affect the notes, but sounds like you're having to change them way too often! Do you wipe them down after playing every time, string by string? I also recommend wiping with something like lemon oil occasionally enough to get rid of extra grime.
^Good advice Rokeman.

Old strings tend to go out of tune (at least for me) and so do new strings, because they're still a little bit "living". However, maybe you need to buy some sort of string cleaner product so that your strings wouldn't wear down so quickly. I can go well for 1½ months with one string set and I play at least 2 hours a day.

As said above, intonation is one thing, saddle height is another thing and position is another. Also, check if your frets are worn or something like that.

What really confuses me is that you have both locking bridge and tuners... I thought that's supposed to keep the guitar fairly in tune. I don't have locking tuners or bridge and my LP stays in tune really well. Just small adjustments before playing and I'm ready to go. My guitar never goes out of tune during playing until I abuse the guitar and do a lot of mindless bends

To add, if nothing else works, take it to a tech and see if he can find the solution.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Thanks for the replies! Maybe I'm not intonating properly? Perhaps I should go with Elixir strings? At least people say they're really great since they barely rust at all..
Your intonation is also related to your neck though, so definitely make sure that your neck is fine. If you're unsure or don't want to fiddle about with your truss rod (I always cringe when I do) take it to a tech who should make it great again.
The way you described it, it sounds like you're actually pushing the strings flat, like how in a classical vibrato you use your fingers to push the string side to side, raising and lowering the pitch of the string. You seem to be pushing the string flat. If you slide your finger away from the pickups, does the note go sharp?
Quote by zincabopataurio
The way you described it, it sounds like you're actually pushing the strings flat, like how in a classical vibrato you use your fingers to push the string side to side, raising and lowering the pitch of the string. You seem to be pushing the string flat. If you slide your finger away from the pickups, does the note go sharp?

Yes.. it does go sharp! You just described my problem in exact detail. Do you know how to fix this? As I mentioned, I don't play very hard on the fret board since it makes it sound just a little better, but still doesn't make it go away completely.