A rookie question I know, but I have a ESP viper, just got the frets and fretboard fixed, cause they were very uneven when I purchased it. It's all good now but the lower strings buzz on all the frets. I don't kno the cause of this, kinda affects the sound when I play clean, but not a big deal, just annoying. Never buzzed before I got it fixed, did the guy mess it up, strings too close and this is just natural, should I take it back to fix the problem?
I would appreciate help.
Sounds like the strings are too close to the frets so your action should be readjusted. I'm not an expert on this subject but it is my belief that you should be able to scale up and down every fret on every string without getting that buzz. I've had all my guitars setup at my local shop and I've never had a problem with fret buzzing
Exactly what I'm thinking but I'm too afraid too mess with it. But I just took it to a shop to fix that, bridges height, frets, initiation all that jazz. I never got a guitar back from a shop that buzzed this bad
Try adjusting the saddle height on those lower strings. There are tiny screw-like things on the saddle (on the bridge) that adjust the height of the string your on. You adjust them with a very small Allen wrench. This will probably solve your problem
I'll give it a try, never realized you could adjust an individual string like that. I always thought to make the whole bridge lower or higher. Thanks
Is it a Floyd Rose bridge? If not, you won't be able to do that. Try adjusting the action anyways though. If you adjust the saddle on a tune-o-matic bridge you're messing up the intonation and it won't fix the problem.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Last edited by GunsNSnakepits at Jan 28, 2012,
I wouldn't do that, it sounds like he's talking about the intonation. those little blocks on the bridge have little screws going through them that allow you to move them forwards and backwards and that'll mess up your intonation if you don't know what you're doing. The action on your viper is adjusted via the bridge posts. If you screw those biggish thumbscrew things that the bridge rests on up or down that'll make your bridge sit lower or higher.
Ya I don't have a Floyd, and ill try making the bridge higher.
But my problem with this is the strings have always been the same height off the fretboard, could be a lil closer now. But it didn't buzz before, so is it possible it can be from something other than string height?
Fret buzz really isn't the problem it made out to be. My guitar teacher has am Ibanez Prestige with fret buzz, I've played Les Pauls, American Telecasters, all with fret buzz. Really it isn't a problem unless it's so bad the notes are choking when you fret them.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
Fret buzz really isn't the problem it made out to be. My guitar teacher has am Ibanez Prestige with fret buzz, I've played Les Pauls, American Telecasters, all with fret buzz. Really it isn't a problem unless it's so bad the notes are choking when you fret them.

Any amount of fret buzz kills sustain and is totaly unacceptable to me. Some Guitars just can't pull off super low action. And almost every case I have ever seen while doing set-ups Set-neck/Neck-thru tend to have the most problems acheving low action, a bolt-on can be shimmed to what ever angle. Also in almost every case I have yet to work on a USA/Japan that had these issues most tend to be made in China/Indonesia. I have worked on a few set-neck/neck-thru with warped/twisted necks.

I have a Epiphone G-400 that after doing a little mesuring, I came to the conclusion the neck pocket is at a little less of an angle than it should be. So the action is a tad high compared to what I typicaly like, but for that guitar it suits me just fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 29, 2012,
I guess I have this idea that fret buzz is just bad, and affects the way notes sound, like something has to be wrong with the guitar. But overall I guess it doesn't matter, doesn't affect the sound through an amp with distortion. I guess I'm freakin out over nothing
It could also be your strings. Are they old and rusty?
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
If they're BRAND new, they will be a little buzzy at first. That could be the problem.
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul