I find that if you embrace the sound its actually quite dynamic.
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
It can kill sustain, that's a major reason people hate it in my experience.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It can kill sustain, that's a major reason people hate it in my experience.

+1 WIN!
On electric guitar, yeah it's bad. But on acoustic I find it sounds pretty cool as long as it's not extreme. Only a very minor amount.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
A properly set up guitar shouldn't have any buzz. Now, having said that, I do have one guitar that has a little. If your guitar does have a little buzz, as long as it doesn't come through the amp, you're golden. If the buzz is so bad that you hear it through your amp, then it needs to be addressed. FWIW, none of my other guitars buzz at all.
only an improperly set up guitar will buzz.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Make all your strings buzz, hit record and then tell me it doesn't sound like crap...

But seriously, do whatever floats ur boat. I experiment with things all the time and this fret buzz thing is the next thing on my list to try
Quote by AcousticMirror

This man is correct
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
On cheaper guitars sometimes you do have to find a balance between buzz and action. My schecter has very meh fret leveling and I would love my action to be lower but notes on higher strings start to fret out.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by Rich EpiWildkat
Dynamic? Are you just throwing around random words?
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 28, 2012,
Quote by al112987

probably.

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

if you embrace mismatched string/fingerboard radius it can be quite donuts.

in what way is fret buzz "dynamic"? i find it restricts the amount of control you have over the dynamics in a lot of cases such as when the strings will buzz against the frets if you hit them hard enough and they buzz too easily, that's extra "headroom" the guitar could have, but doesn't.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube

+1
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I have learned there are some people who play badly set up guitars and think they are set-up just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Rich EpiWildkat
People talk about fret buzz like its a bad thing.

You know what sounds even way cooler than fret buzz? The buzzing and rattling of a car's contents in tune to a badly distorting 1000 watt subwoofer!

Of course you have to be a developmentally stunted ghetto crack baby to fully embrace it. But what the heck, to each his own, right?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 29, 2012,
Depends how much help you need from perfectly set up instruments. After a while I stopped caring, and I quite enjoy the battle with my instrument. Don't know what genre you guys are into but I play a lot of blues, riffy music and other 'imperfect' and 'unscripted' genres of music. The guitars themselves are not cheap and I set them up with low action, the fret buzz was a bi-product of that. I love the sound of fret buzz and have done pretty well by spending my time playing the instrument rather than having them set up alla time.
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

Quote by Rich EpiWildkat
Depends how much help you need from perfectly set up instruments. After a while I stopped caring, and I quite enjoy the battle with my instrument. Don't know what genre you guys are into but I play a lot of blues, riffy music and other 'imperfect' and 'unscripted' genres of music. The guitars themselves are not cheap and I set them up with low action, the fret buzz was a bi-product of that. I love the sound of fret buzz and have done pretty well by spending my time playing the instrument rather than having them set up alla time.
Dude, could you tell me how to be so cool and laissez faire like you are?

and LOL at "riffy music" being "unscripted". That is basically an oxymoron

Anyway, you sound like you are trying to convince yourself that you are ok with having a poorly set up guitar. It's called escalation of commitment.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 16, 2012,
I don't like fret buzz. But thankfully i try my guitars before buying and learn how to set them up properly. I get my guitar's frets leveled annually because of the number of hours i play every day.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 16, 2012,
Quote by KG6_Steven
A properly set up guitar shouldn't have any buzz. Now, having said that, I do have one guitar that has a little. If your guitar does have a little buzz, as long as it doesn't come through the amp, you're golden. If the buzz is so bad that you hear it through your amp, then it needs to be addressed. FWIW, none of my other guitars buzz at all.

This is very true. My guitars buzz to an extent, but the buzz never comes through the amp, clean or dirty. If it's that bad, you're really not even getting a note, just pure buzz.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
UMM?
Fret Buzz. Is like, bad, its just sounds wrong, especially with distortion.
Like, it's not even clean it makes a good guitar player sound like a 5 year old.
Thats how bad fret buzz is.
Like, fret buzz sounds wrong, because like, if you play the same note elsewhere on the guitar, it sounds different. WTF?
Notes should sound the same allover the guitar, ideally.
I don't care if killswitch engage likes fretbuzz, I hate killswitch and I hate fretbuzz-lightyear to the rescue
METAL!
Quote by AcousticMirror

or a properly set up guitar with a poor player...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I don't really mind a little fretbuzz. As long as it doesn't kill my sustain... too much.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by al112987
Quote by Blompcube
probably.

if you embrace mismatched string/fingerboard radius it can be quite donuts.

in what way is fret buzz "dynamic"? i find it restricts the amount of control you have over the dynamics in a lot of cases such as when the strings will buzz against the frets if you hit them hard enough and they buzz too easily, that's extra "headroom" the guitar could have, but doesn't.
i lol'd twice in the middle of work as i scrolled down and read your guys comments... ha

Quote by jj1565
or a bee.
Last edited by kthxbi at Feb 17, 2012,
Quote by AcousticMirror

Bullshit, that's like saying "only an improperly set up guitar has high action". It's a matter of taste, and it's also a matter of what specific guitar you're setting up, and for which purpose.

Usually, especially for high gain tones, you can have a bit of fret buzz and the sound from the speakers won't change noticeably.

For acoustic guitar, having a discreet amount of buzz, especially on the higher strings, may add some character to your sound.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by kthxbi

or a bee.

or me after a few drinks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Bullshit, that's like saying "only an improperly set up guitar has high action". It's a matter of taste, and it's also a matter of what specific guitar you're setting up, and for which purpose.

Usually, especially for high gain tones, you can have a bit of fret buzz and the sound from the speakers won't change noticeably.

For acoustic guitar, having a discreet amount of buzz, especially on the higher strings, may add some character to your sound.

Do you go to get your guitar set-up and ask them to dial you in some nice fret buzz? I don't, I want rid of it. Fret buzz isn't supposed to happen, it means something isn't right.
I find it kinda funny that people who don't like the buzz might buy a stomp box to get that effect. Of course this is the preferable way, along with they way one attacks the strings.

but if you don't ever want a clean tone, set it up to buzz
........ or punch a whole in your amp's speaker with pencil or pair of scissors
I hate fret buzz.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by mrbreeze317
I find it kinda funny that people who don't like the buzz might buy a stomp box to get that effect. Of course this is the preferable way, along with they way one attacks the strings.

fret buzz and 'buzzsaw' distortion are not even close to being the same thing.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by mrbreeze317

Do you even know what fret buzz is?

It's not amplified. You can't hear it through an amplifier. You hear it in a guitar that is unplugged.

All it "does" is kill your sustain and make you unable to play certain notes.
Quote by mrbreeze317

Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Blompcube
probably.

sigging as we speak
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by jj1565

+1. Well said.
To Mr. Rikard Sundén,

Please come back - Sabaton needs you!
i can never tell if its fret buzz or the fact i play very hard.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by al112987
Dude, could you tell me how to be so cool and laissez faire like you are?

and LOL at "riffy music" being "unscripted". That is basically an oxymoron

Anyway, you sound like you are trying to convince yourself that you are ok with having a poorly set up guitar. It's called escalation of commitment.

Why is everyone so mean? Haha, does NOBODY understand? Maybe its UG. I'm'a go over to the fender forums. I'm happy the guys in this forum have the money to get frets levelled and stuff. Sorry to offend anyone. I'm shocked that nobody gets what I mean.

Just to be clear also, the only guitar that buzzes is the acoustic I got from argos... There you have it. Should've asked them to bring me a few out so I could try them all silly me.

Quote by al112987
Do you even know what fret buzz is?

It's not amplified. You can't hear it through an amplifier. You hear it in a guitar that is unplugged.

All it "does" is kill your sustain and make you unable to play certain notes.

Which notes? Are you saying you have a guitar that can't play Bb's and F's? Regardless of tuning? Send it to NASA they will want to see that its a major breach of physics.

THANK YOU! I was losing my mind but SOMEONE gets what I mean. Wow. Triple posted now, but clearly I'm not on the same wavelength as the rest of UG so I may as well not be here.