I love playing in drop c# and drop c. The chunky sounds of the power chords and dropped double stops for solos produce my favorite sound. do you prefere alternate or standard tuning?
Any tuning can be used for something, depends what you want to do with it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'd love to try some different tunings but I still have a lot to learn. Just picked up guitar about 2 months ago but I keep finding that more and more of my favorite guitarists and/or songs use different tunings.
Quote by 4ofus
I'd love to try some different tunings but I still have a lot to learn. Just picked up guitar about 2 months ago but I keep finding that more and more of my favorite guitarists and/or songs use different tunings.

It's a lot easier than you think.
I play in standard tuning. When I first started playing guitar, I played a bit with Drop D tuning. The one time I tried to tune to Drop C didn't go well - strings didn't have enough tension to stay in tune.

Drop B? Forget it.
Quote by Mr I
I play in standard tuning. When I first started playing guitar, I played a bit with Drop D tuning. The one time I tried to tune to Drop C didn't go well - strings didn't have enough tension to stay in tune.

Drop B? Forget it.

You're suppose to use higher gauge strings and adjust the annotation, though...
Quote by Buck's Student
You're suppose to use higher gauge strings and adjust the annotation, though...

Yeah, but I can't be bothered having the guitar restrung for the sake of a few songs. That or buy a second guitar.
Quote by Mr I
Yeah, but I can't be bothered having the guitar restrung for the sake of a few songs. That or buy a second guitar.

Me either.
i like standard, because, when jamming, its the shit you know fastest that counts. i learnt all my frets in standard, so untill i learn to instinctively move a fret upwards to play standard while in E, its not something i like to do.

of course i could just stick a capo on first and have the best of both worlds
I've only really worked out music in two tunings. Technically they're 'standard', because the top six strings are still in standard because I only have my eight-string. I have the standard low B plus a low bass E, that's my 'standard' tuning. My alternate tuning drops the B to an A, and the low E to a C# for crushing unison lines with a bass. I'd like another guitar though to fiddle with a high G string above the E. The idea of having a high minor third for chord work and gaining more range really excites me.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
On my 3 main guitars I have 3 different tunings. My Jackson is in standard, my Ibanez is in Open E, and my Washburn 7-string has the low B and low E dropped to A and D.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Well i have 2 electrics, my floyd rose tuned to drop D, and my rg fixed bridge tuned to drop B. I thought 2 would be enough, but now that i have a second as of recently, i wish i had a third ):
I have three guitars. My 7-string is in standard, my other two are in C# standard and drop C. If I had another, it'd be in Eb standard.
I use traditional open tunings (Usually open G) on my slide guitars. Other than that, it's standard "concert" tuning.
I know using lowered tunings is currently all the rage, but for acoustic playing, especially in groups... Seems somewhat odd.
If you want the guitar to sound lower, play in a lower key.
I use a bit of lower tunings, such as D standard and Drop G on by 7 string, but besides those more "normal" alternate tunings, I also like using EEADGBe, DDADGBe, DDGCFAd, or CCGCFAd on my 7 string.

I guess I got the idea from Mastodon's AGCFAd tuning by applying the same concept to a 7 string guitar, and then dropping the low string an additional step to give an octave instead of a minor 7th, and then I also use variations with the two lowest strings dropped an additional step, for playing more reminiscent of typical Drop D playing.

The only problem though is that since I don't use the tuning enough to keep it that low, the 7th string (as you may have guessed) is far too thin, and so if is loose and muddy, and the intonation isn't great, but for messing around with low drones it works fine.

Other than that, I use Open C6 tuning (CEGAce) for pretend steel playing.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I use C# and C standard, Drop B and drop Bb.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I use B std or drop-B mostly, but also A std, and G std for my 7-string. For my 6-string I use anywhere from E std, D std, Drop D, C std, drop C. Haven't done a lot of C#, drop-C# but going to try that next (the Decapitated or Pantera usual tuning).

So yes, I use a lot of tunings, depending on what I'm doing or what songs I'm playing or riffs I'm creating/working on. I really don't care for anything E std anymore, but then I mostly like Metal in it's various forms.
----------------------
ESP LTD MH-417
ESP LTD EC-400
POD X3 Live
Randall RG100SC
Boss HM-2