Page 1 of 8
I lived in Michigan until I was 12, when I moved to north Texas for the next 5 years. I never realized I had an accent until the past few years, when I could finally hear the difference between my own speech and others'. Turn out I say "crans" instead of "Cray-ons", "cahpy/cahpyright" instead of "copy/copyright" and generally pronounce A's closer to O's.

I forced myself to stop saying "pop" (soda) and "you guys", otherwise I get stupid looks. Every soft drink down here is a "coke", no matter the brand (not kidding, you ask for a coke and someone says "what kind" to clarify), and it's always "y'all" when referring to groups of people. It's weird though, the drawl isn't as common as I thought it would be in this part.

TL;DR: What kind of accent do you have, and what are some words you say that are indicative of that accent?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 28, 2012,
Standard American accent. Midwestern, I think it's called. Not influenced by regional dialect, although I have some more southern expressions. No southern accent though. Automatically makes people think you're slow and less intelligent. Baseless stereotype, but meh. It sounds awful as well.

Yorksher.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I have a Newfie accent and we have our own dictionary, so it's really fun to be able to say stuff to people and them not have a clue what I'm saying. Though it also sucks, because people are like "Oh, you're just a stupid Newfie. Marry your cousin yet? Screeched in blah blah blah."
Quote by treborillusion

What did I just watch... lol "I'm not wanking!"
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
Yeah... I was stressed out when I tore something in my back and was on naproxen and painkillers and got told to monitor all passages for numbness and report to a doctor a.s.a.p if I ever found any, needless to say I could'nt wank or; wanking was harder, it might have been the painkillers or the stress of thinking I could end up being a paraplegic and paralised from the waist down got to me...
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 28, 2012,
Quote by Soccerguy
I have a Newfie accent and we have our own dictionary, so it's really fun to be able to say stuff to people and them not have a clue what I'm saying. Though it also sucks, because people are like "Oh, you're just a stupid Newfie. Marry your cousin yet? Screeched in blah blah blah."

In Texas, Arkansas is viewed as the cousin marrying/sister kissing state. Go anywhere and ask about Arkansas, and you'll get the word "inbred" in the answer somehow.
Quote by WCPhils
Ibanez RG8
whole bunch o' pedals
California. So, no accent.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by kaptkegan
California. So, no accent.

Nah. There's no such thing as no accent, especially with the English language which is spoken throughout multiple countries.

Quote by moscaespañol
this is gonna become the new 'saint's tone' video, isn't it?

i hope so, I actually can stand your tone

What?

and also, love So. Cal accents. I've got a weakness for So. Cal and KY accents, for some reason.
Quote by laid-to-waste
I've got a Minnesotan accent. It's very slight as I'm from the cities and not from up on the Iron Range where they sound like a cross between a character in Fargo and a Canadian(the non french speaking Habs buttfucking kind)
i have that normal american accent, not the new york, not the southern, just the typical normal american accent.

not sure how to describe it other than that...
I went from Pittsburgh to Akron and I get made fun of all the time even though there not too different. I grew up talking like this and I refuse to change just because people don't like it.

Crick, sammich(sandwich)
we also extend our o's and cram word together like "jeet jet" (did you eat yet)
Last edited by jimy931 at Jan 28, 2012,
I hope this girl goes out with me, she said yeah sure and I really like her accent and how she looks and is and stuff, but... IDK, we'll see this week or whatever but, she's American, asked her where she's from, she said but I don't want to say, but, I actually do think she sounds like an actress from a city she said she was from, even though shesaid she grew up in another part of America, she's hot/pretty/cool... I like her. She's got a cute accent too.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Quote by moscaespañol

I'm the one that showed everyone this
DAT TONE.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

The region of the US where I'm from isn't known for having its own accent. That is, southern Indiana. If you go into southern Kentucky/Tennessee, you start to hear alot more of the stereotypical southern accent. Northern Illinois and Michigan also have a fairly noticeable northerner accent. Also pretty noticeable lack of ability to drive well, but I digress.

One time this guy thought I had a New York accent. I told him that was ridiculous as I sized his feet for his new cement shoes.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Australian sir. Which means whenever something bad happens i say "mate; that's ****ed". Got a fairly deep voice but we all kinda have a bit of a nasal pitch to it tho which makes it worse
Quote by Godsmack_IV
I'm canadian. I don't have an accent.

This.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by moscaespañol
I see, muhahahaha, I actually love/dig that tone... and I offer you this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yl2dbpDBCU

Sometimes, I can get 'crickets.'

I digress, back to accents.
Quote by laid-to-waste
I learned english outside of an english speaking country. I have a really weird "transatlantic" accent. I have, on separate occasions, been mistaken for a Canadian, a Scotsman, an Irishman and a resident of Pennsylvania.

I currently live in England and find myself pronouncing certain words "the english way". I feel the need to enunciate more in order to be understood.
Quote by sashki
I learned english outside of an english speaking country. I have a really weird "transatlantic" accent. I have, on separate occasions, been mistaken for a Canadian, a Scotsman, an Irishman and a resident of Pennsylvania.

I currently live in England and find myself pronouncing certain words "the english way". I feel the need to enunciate more in order to be understood.

edit: not poking fun at you, I just love how that's thrown in there among nationalities.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by treborillusion

That shit was cool

and now I know your real name

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
okay...
Quote by laid-to-waste
Quote by treborillusion

Strangely makes me wish my whammy pedal still worked.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Strangely makes me wish my whammy pedal still worked.

I can teach you how to whammy without a whammy pedal or whammy bar.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I speak in the accent and dialect of whoever I'm speaking to, unless I consciously do otherwise, in which case I speak Generic American.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by moscaespañol
I can teach you how to whammy without a whammy pedal or whammy bar.

Heh, no thanks.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.