so i could play the basic and songs kinda but my techinques really shitty and i bearly know any so would getting a teacher be worth it? i was think about taking lessons for 6 months once a week for 30 mins. how much could you learn during six months? then after six months do you think i would be able to teach myself using online lessons?
Yes.

/thread

A teacher is invaluable in making sure you don't form poor habits early on, especially on your basic techniques. If you've got the money and time, a teacher is never the wrong choice.
Quote by Geldin
Yes.

/thread

A teacher is invaluable in making sure you don't form poor habits early on, especially on your basic techniques. If you've got the money and time, a teacher is never the wrong choice.

qft.

a teacher is going to help a ton, especially if you get "stuck in a rut" as so many guitar players tend to do.
Quote by Geldin
Yes.

/thread

A good teacher is invaluable in making sure you don't form poor habits early on, especially on your basic techniques. If you've got the money and time, a teacher is never the wrong choice.

Fixed

Teachers can be the best learning resource. If they know what they are talking about and can explain things accurately and adequately.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Depends completely on your financial situation in my opinion. if you can afford a teacher i think 110% do it. I've been playing 2.5years now and i'm only now getting my first guitar teacher. Sure it costs me $50 for an hour lesson but it's my money i'm using and i believe it will be worth it.
A good teacher will help massively - go to a few teachers for a test lesson and if you click with one, stick with them. If you come across a good teacher you won't be thinking about quitting after 6 months for sure.
Quote by Junior#1
Fixed

Teachers can be the best learning resource. If they know what they are talking about and can explain things accurately and adequately.

My bad. I made the poor assumption that my post would leave the "good" part understood as opposed to outright saying it.

A good teacher is an invaluable resource. Also, don't go looking for a "metal" or "jazz" teacher. If they play the instrument you want to play and can teach it well, their preferred genres of music mean nothing until you have a very firm grasp of basic technique.
Quote by Geldin

A good teacher is an invaluable resource. Also, don't go looking for a "metal" or "jazz" teacher. If they play the instrument you want to play and can teach it well, their preferred genres of music mean nothing until you have a very firm grasp of basic technique.

This.