I noticed that I was strumming today and I noticed my thumb gets snagged on or in-between strings especially on upstroke strums. Is my strumming technique wrong?? Is it a problem with my pick grip?
You are turning your wrist to far out on the upstroke. Strum a little less with the motion of your wrist and with more motion from your elbow.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
You are turning your wrist to far out on the upstroke. Strum a little less with the motion of your wrist and with more motion from your elbow.

That doesn't sound right at all. You should always try to use your wrist instead of your elbow if I'm not mistaken
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
That doesn't sound right at all. You should always try to use your wrist instead of your elbow if I'm not mistaken

You're thinking more of eletric guitar with economy of motion.

I would suggest using both your elbow and wrist, use them in conjuction with each other. Stevie Ray Vaughan used his elbow to strum a lot (Yes i'm using an eletric guitar player but check his 12 string version of "Pride and Joy")

If that doesn't help check to see if you are angled inwards towards the guitar with your strumming hand. If so, make you strumming hand perpendicular with the strings. If the problem is still present, then you need to stop choking up so much on your pick.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Almost all picking and strumming motion should be from your wrist! Not your elbow!

TS, try letting a bit more of your pick out. Don't choke up on it so much. If you have a video or some pictures, I'd be able to help more.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.