I have an amp that doesnt have many effects on it and I have another that has plenty of effects. I want wondering if I can hook my guitar up to the amp with effects then hook up that amp via the headphone jack to the other's input. Effect amp is digital and other amp is tube if that matters.

Makes sense in my head.
im a n00b!
See if the Digital has an emulated out or something of that nature, DO NOT USE the headphone out , it may have a different impedance which could be fatal to both amps. The emulated out doesn't have an impedance.

I have done exactly this, although it may be have a bit of a hum.

My amps: Marshall Haze 40 into a SWR LA15 100watt
dont do that, it'll probably sound like ass.

if they have FX loops/preamp out-power amp in, just use the send on the amp with effects and put it in the other amps return.

im pretty sure thats safe, i've done it before.

just make sure you have a load on the amp with effects so you don't blow it.
Pretty much the same thing, only more cables which leads to signal loss

Quote by rickyj
dont do that, it'll probably sound like ass.

if they have FX loops/preamp out-power amp in, just use the send on the amp with effects and put it in the other amps return.

im pretty sure thats safe, i've done it before.

just make sure you have a load on the amp with effects so you don't blow it.
Quote by almudjk
Pretty much the same thing, only more cables which leads to signal loss

how so?

theres only 1 cable going from amp to amp either way...
The tube is a Peavey Valve Kind 2x12 100 watt and the digital is Line 6 Spider III 30 watt. There doesnt seem to have an emulated out port or anything of the sort. I'm guessing this isnt possible then?
im a n00b!
Ideal situation:

Line 6 preamp out / Peavey preamp in

2nd Place:

Line 6 effect loop send / Peavey effect loop return

last place:

Line 6 headphone out / Peavey guitar in

All of these are basically line level so AFAIK there aren't any power problems that could be fatal to both amps..? Not trying to disprove the first reply, but an impedance mismatch isn't fatal when there's not like a power transformer involved. And by saying the "emulated out doesn't have an impedance", well that's just not true/impossible.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Phones/Record Out - Connect a pair of stereo headphones here. When
you do so, the speakers are muted. This jack also doubles as a Record
Output. Use a stereo 1/4” TRS cable to connect to a mixer or recording
device.

This excerpt taken from the Line IV 30 instruction manual is pretty self explanatory.

Just a guess here, but I think you need to patch into the Peavey AFTER the pre-amp if possible. That way you'd only be using the Peavey power amp section, and the sound quality would be that of the Spider. I'm assuming you want to use the digital FX and amp models. Yes?

You just need to be very cautious about the output level (Spider), to input level (Peavey), to avoid coloring the sound, or badly over driving the Peavey power amp, this since the headphone level, by its nature, is variable. (It's not a true "line level" device).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 29, 2012,
I misunderstood what you meant. Loops are confusing to me

Quote by rickyj
how so?

theres only 1 cable going from amp to amp either way...