So..... I did my homework over the course of a year and planned my pedal board. My plan was to run my Wah, compressor, overdrive (and phase 90) in a chain through the front of my amp, and run my chorus and delay through the effects loop. It seemed perfect on paper.

When I finally put it all together, I found that the chorus and delay were weak sounding in the loop. I have a couple of amps. In particular, they were weakest in the amp with the parallel effects loop. They did somewhat better in the amp with the serial loop.

I did some more research, and found that certain stomp boxes do not do well in the effects loop. The two I am using are the MXR dynacomp and the MXR Black Label Chorus.

I changed the design and ran everthing through the front of the amp. Much better, however I find now that things work well on the clean channel, but the dirty channel presents more of a problem. The chorus appears to slam hard into the preamp tubes of the dirty channel. Obviously the delay is not quite so nice as well.

What is the best solution? Is there a better type of effect box for the effects loop I should be using? If so, perhaps I could add that box to the loop and tap that when using the dirty channel? Or am I missing something when using the MXR boxes in the loop? Would a mult-effects box in the loop help solve the problem?
That's a dilemma I usually get around by using a dirt pedal in front of the delay pedal instead of using the dirt channel of the amp.
What amps? And I assume you mean Carbon Copy for the delay and not Dyna Comp?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah, that is what I am doing now. Problem is, I love the dirt channel on my amp. Its a tremoverb.
Yeah, my bad. Its carbon copy for delay. Amp is a mesa tremoverb for the parallel loop and express for the serial loop.
There really isn't much you can do for the parallel loop if your pedal doesn't go 100% wet. If there's any dry in the parallel loop, it causes some nasty sounding phase issues. I think the Express's loop is -10dB but I'm not sure so I'm not sure why you'd be having problems with that amp. Lemme go find the manual.

EDIT: Nevermind. The loop in the Express is +4dBV. You're not gonna be able to use most pedals in the loop. Pretty much anything short of a rack processor is gonna have issues with that signal level. It's also non buffered so there will always be some tonal changes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 29, 2012,
So I wonder if its worth running a multi-effects through the loop for use when engaging the dirty channel and just keeping the stomp boxes up front for the clean? I'm using a loop master switcher so I can pull each stomp box out of the chain when I need to. I'm also thinking in that loop I really only need delay, chorus and maybe some flang I suppose. Anybody else do this kind of thing or is it a bit whacked?
Quote by mmolteratx
There really isn't much you can do for the parallel loop if your pedal doesn't go 100% wet. If there's any dry in the parallel loop, it causes some nasty sounding phase issues. I think the Express's loop is -10dB but I'm not sure so I'm not sure why you'd be having problems with that amp. Lemme go find the manual.

EDIT: Nevermind. The loop in the Express is +4dBV. You're not gonna be able to use most pedals in the loop. Pretty much anything short of a rack processor is gonna have issues with that signal level. It's also non buffered so there will always be some tonal changes.

Hi, can you explain wet vs dry for me? (just because that sounds funny, on effects. We are all musicians here, lets not make jokes.)
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
I remember reading that Soldano amps have a problem acepting certain pedals in the FX loop as well.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How much time did you spend tweaking the FX send and return levels in your loop? Some pedals don't like a signal as hot as an FX loop normally pumps out. In those cases you turn down the FX send and turn up the FX return to bring it back to unity. FX loops were originally designed to provide line level signals for studio gear.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification