This may seem a silly question, but is it possible to install humbuckers on a guitar with single coils? I have an imitation Strat that I want to get less noisy pickups for, any good, quiet pickups for Strats? I was thinking EMG's, maybe?
Pull off the pickguard and see how the body is routed. If there's space, you may be able to buy a humbucker-spaced pickguard and install them into that. On the other hand if it's routed the way the pickguard looks, you'll have to re-route the guitar if you want to change them.
i dont know if you will like this but........ maybe look for mini humbuckers??? just a thought
there are mini humbuckers or you can just get a pair of noiseless single coils too. check out "guitarfetish.com" they have some really good stuff for a lot less than name brand pickups. they also have parts to upgrade imitations to make them sound a lot better.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Guitar-Pickups_c_7.html
Last edited by The_Quiet_Man at Jan 29, 2012,
Quote by BigHeadClan
You could also try stacked single coils, most don't require additional routing to my knowledge.

This. Seymour Duncan Hot Rails are humbuckers in a single coil casing.
Quote by itamar100
Seymour Duncan Hot Rails are humbuckers in a single coil casing.

I'm probably a little more comfortable with brand name products, but I appreciate the other suggestions. Would I just buy three of the Hot Rails, or is there a three-pickup set with slightly different specifications or something like that?
Quote by staceap
I'm probably a little more comfortable with brand name products, but I appreciate the other suggestions. Would I just buy three of the Hot Rails, or is there a three-pickup set with slightly different specifications or something like that?

It's a 3 pickup set.
Seymour Duncan are the most famous pickup makers in the world so there's nothing to be uncomfortable about. Im very surprised that you've not heard of them.
I'd recommend a Seymour Duncan Cool Rail in the neck position for a better lower output clean sound. You could also get fender noiseless single coils.
Quote by itamar100
It's a 3 pickup set.
Seymour Duncan are the most famous pickup makers in the world so there's nothing to be uncomfortable about. Im very surprised that you've not heard of them.
I'd recommend a Seymour Duncan Cool Rail in the neck position for a better lower output clean sound. You could also get fender noiseless single coils.

Aye, sorry, just realised how badly worded that was written, haha. Yeah, I've heard of Seymour Duncan, I was tossing up between their 7-string Blackouts or some Dimarzio's for my 7-string.

I'll look into that, cheers, would that then be a Hot Rail in the bridge and middle, with the Cool Rail in the neck?

EDIT: I just looked on the SD website, which advised a Vintage Rail in the middle for versatility, would it be best to have one of each of the rails?
Last edited by staceap at Jan 29, 2012,
Quote by staceap
Aye, sorry, just realised how badly worded that was written, haha. Yeah, I've heard of Seymour Duncan, I was tossing up between their 7-string Blackouts or some Dimarzio's for my 7-string.

I'll look into that, cheers, would that then be a Hot Rail in the bridge and middle, with the Cool Rail in the neck?

EDIT: I just looked on the SD website, which advised a Vintage Rail in the middle for versatility, would it be best to have one of each of the rails?

Yup, why not. Vintage can only be good.
Quote by itamar100
Yup, why not. Vintage can only be good.

Versatility, for the win
Little '59? But if you really want full-sized humbuckers, I would take off the pickguard and check the routing. If there isn't space, you could do some rudimentary routing with a big drill bit or one of those things I can't remember the word for. They wider and make sort of a "w" shape at the point. That's only if you REALLY need fullsize humbuckers, and don't want to pay for a pro to do it. Steer clear of EMGs though.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Quote by y2k11hmmm?
Little '59? But if you really want full-sized humbuckers, I would take off the pickguard and check the routing. If there isn't space, you could do some rudimentary routing with a big drill bit or one of those things I can't remember the word for. They wider and make sort of a "w" shape at the point. That's only if you REALLY need fullsize humbuckers, and don't want to pay for a pro to do it. Steer clear of EMGs though.

you're thinking of hogging out the cavities with a forstner bit

and I wouldn't totally agree with the 'stay away from EMGs' comment.. they're good for what they're designed for, but they're definitely not for everything
I agree with the EMG thing you said. It all depends on the style of music you want to play.
So, what style are these pups gonna be on?
The Forstner isn't what I was thinking of, but would actually work better because of their flat-nosed-ness.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Last edited by y2k11hmmm? at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by y2k11hmmm?
I agree with the EMG thing you said. It all depends on the style of music you want to play.
So, what style are these pups gonna be on?
The Forstner isn't what I was thinking of, but would actually work better because of their flat-nosed-ness.

I'd be using it primarily for various metal, metalcore and hardcore stuff, right now, but I'd probably use that guitar for all sorts of stuff later down the track, so the SD Rails set would be good for the versatility it provides