Hi all,

I'm completely new here, and not a seasoned player. This was the first "community" site I stumbled upon for guitars, so hopefully I'm in a good place! Sorry for the length here, but I'm trying to be descripive....

I have a number of questions I was hoping some folks with more knowledge than I could take a look at for me.

As I meantioned, I am not a seasoned player. Back in early 2000's, I played around on a buddy's guitar enough to get me slightly interested, and I picked up my first guitar a few years later in college--one of the infamous Epiphone Special IIs. For a few years, I taught myself what I could, also purchased a Washburn D11 acoustic, and basically did the "self-teaching" thing with all the bad habits I'm sure that comes with...

My interest faded a few years later when I left college and moved to an apartment, as to not disturb my neighbors. But I just moved into a new home, and I'm ready to go again!

A friend of mine, that is much more seasoned, suggested that I should consider getting a better guitar, especially since it would really make me want to play even more. I may also start taking some lessons.

1) Is 28 too old to start formal lessons?

So I've been scouring the web non-stop for knowledge of materials, brands, and pricing. I've been visiting local "big chain" stores, and local independent shops. I haven't found a lot of in-person help, unfortunately. I know the styles I like of music and guitar, and I'd like to move forward with this.

I really enjoy the Les Paul models, and SG models, and so I've mostly been looking at that style with the trapezoidal inlays to make it really look like a step up.
The Gibsons sound fantastic, with Studios ranging from $800-$1300, and the SG Standard right in the middle around $1100. The Epiphone "Standard", which is a step up in the aethetics department, is considerably cheaper, maybe $500, but to me I can notice a discrete difference in weight, playability, and sound quality.

2) Where should I put my focus? Will I enjoy looking at a beautiful guitar, or, enjoy the slightly improved sound?

3) The SG models have a significantly different feel to them. Being so used to the Les Paul models, would it be wise to make that kind of change? Is one more suitable for the "rock" music I like to play, or not necessarily?

I figure that, with a new instrument to really re-energize me into the guitar world, I'll either really succeed, or it will remain a small hobby with minimal real skill. I want to maximize my investment, but minimize my risk.

My feeling right now, is that if I go with maybe a Gibson Studio "faded" model, which isn't quite as nice looking, but much less expensive, I'll get a nice quality sound. Then maybe at some point, if I'm looking for something visually pleasing as well, maybe I can get a cheaper Epiphone, or even one of these Agile guitars I've been hearing about(?) to go with it. And one day, if I'm really successful with it, treat myself to the best of both worlds with a guitar that has both extremely high quality sound, and appearance.

4) Or who knows? Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong?

5) I don't know much about guitar "parts" or customization at ALL. I really enjoy the look of the "covered" humbuckers... but a lot of models do not have covers, like the Gibson 50's model I believe. Can these be easily added to a guitar? I think the open pickups make the guitar look cheap.

6) I have a Line 6 Spyder II amp, which is plenty loud for sure since I only play in my basement. But quality wise, is this going to do well for me?

That's my story. I realize I'm sort of all over the board here... and I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking. I'm just wanting to share where I am right now, and see if anyone has any feedback for me.

Thanks!
I was going to make a high gain joke when you asked for feedback, but then i didn't.
1)it's never too late.
2)if you can't tell the difference in sound then go for beauty but if you can go for sound.
3)I don't think a change will be bad. i go from a jackson to a les paul so i think les paul to sg will be fine. They both are good for rock.
dunno about the rest.
This sig will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
1. No, but it is slightly harder than if you strayed earlier.
2. You should focus on playability, you might want to check out some Ibanez or Javkson models as well.
3. They are both good rock guitars, with the Les Paul being a bit chunkier sounding and a bit more versatile. But don't limit yourself to those two guitars.
4. I believe you are. To get a 'better' guitar than a Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 does not require a Gibson. Do not limit yourself to Gibson and Epiphone. Try something in the PRS SE series for example. Or a Jackson, Ibanez, even a Fender Mexican Strat would be perfect, though it may not be your thing. Unless you are 100% committed to guitar I would recommend you do not buy something as expensive as you are looking at. Vintage also make some Les Paul and SG copies (of your comityed to that body style) that IMO beat Epiphone every time. Look at the Vintage V100 and VS6.
5. If you don't know what your doing, don't attempt to add pickup covers, they require wax potting to prevent microphonics. You may be able to get them installed by a luthier relatively inexpensively, but I don't really see the point. If a guitar says Gibson nobody will think it was cheap. It is also worth pointing out that if you have a Gibson and you can't play, you will likely be mocked by other guitarists.
6. No, it's utter crap. Look at it like this: a bad guitar through a good amp can sound good, however a great guitar through a crap amp will sound crap. Your guitar is limited by the sounds your amp can produce. I'd recommend not getting a Gibson, or an Epiphone for that matter. Getting a Low/Mid end Jackson/Ibanez and keeping money for a good amp. Most people will recommend Valve and these do sound good, however good ones are a lot of money. For practice I'd get a Peavey Vypyr 30 or 75, these are not valve amps, but they emulate them well, wherease a Line 6 Spider does it badly, very badly. Even better you could consider the Vypyr tube 60. Blackstar HT-5 is also a good option, but I'm personally not a fan of the HT line.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Last edited by Any7423 at Jan 29, 2012,
Holy mother of cr*p that's a long post... but welcome aboard

I kind of just skimmed through it so I'll try answer some stuff, I dunno, we'll see what happens.
1). No, never!
2). People may argue different things but my person view is basically this. When going to buy a guitar you should go on FEEL. That is how the guitar feels to play, how the neck and fretboard feel, etc, etc Pickups can be replaced if needed but the tone will largely come from your amp so if you have a dud amp (Line 6 Spiders are not particularly popular, sorry ) then getting good pickups isn't going to help much. So yeah if you're trying to decide between an LP and an SG then basically play both for a while and see which ones feels more natural/comfortable to you.
It might be a tricky thing to decide if you're not used to playing much but you never know!

... I forget what else. But yeah guitars can be customised a fair amount. I *think* you can buy plastic covers for open coil pickups if you want, that have negligible impact on the sound but I'm not too sure.

As for which Gibsons to look at, I dunno, I'm not the one to ask lol!

Good luck!
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by beetuna
Hi all,

I'm completely new here, and not a seasoned player. This was the first "community" site I stumbled upon for guitars, so hopefully I'm in a good place!

2) Where should I put my focus? Will I enjoy looking at a beautiful guitar, or, enjoy the slightly improved sound?

3) The SG models have a significantly different feel to them. Being so used to the Les Paul models, would it be wise to make that kind of change? Is one more suitable for the "rock" music I like to play, or not necessarily?

5) I don't know much about guitar "parts" or customization at ALL. I really enjoy the look of the "covered" humbuckers... but a lot of models do not have covers, like the Gibson 50's model I believe. Can these be easily added to a guitar? I think the open pickups make the guitar look cheap.

6) I have a Line 6 Spyder II amp, which is plenty loud for sure since I only play in my basement. But quality wise, is this going to do well for me?

That's my story. I realize I'm sort of all over the board here... and I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking. I'm just wanting to share where I am right now, and see if anyone has any feedback for me.

Thanks!

First of all, welcome!

1) Nope, not at all. And you can take lessons off and on forever. Don't worry about it.

2) Probably both. The visual part of instruments is definitely one thing that gets our attention. Playability and tone come after.

3) Don't sweat it. Buy what you like. There's no simple answer for this. What I'd suggest is try to get out of the frame of mind that this is going to be your one and only guitar forever and ever. Buy what you like and that inspires you.

4) Play whatever you've got and have fun with it. As you progress, try other guitars here and there when you get a chance. The more you play your guitar the more you'll notice little differences when playing other ones. At some point maybe you'll realize a different guitar suits you better. Great! Time to sell what you have and buy a different guitar (or keep what you have and add a new one to your stable).

5) Might be possible, but I've never really seen them be added. They're typically glued in place, so it's not a real easy swap. Gibson, PRS & a few others do covered pickups quite a bit.

6) Meh, it's fine for what it is. The real (and only) question is, does it inspire YOU. If not, then it's not good enough. If so, then great! Some might not give the Spiders a lot of love, but who cares? It's loud enough and has a wide variety of sounds. If you like them that's all that really matters. But be aware a different guitar is going to sound differently through it.

Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a great journey with this and have a great time. In the future I'd suggest making a single thread for a particular topic (for instance, you could make a thread asking about brands that have covered pickups or if covers can be added) -- and be sure the threads are in the right category, like you did for this one.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Jan 29, 2012,
Thanks for the info all. I noticed quite a bit of good info here, and picked up some generally consistent points.

First, glad that people do pick this up more seriously when they aren't kids.

Second, in terms of what to buy, a few things stood out to me. I guess I wasn't purposely trying to limit myself to models, but called those out because those are particularly what gets me excited about it. There were a lot of models mentioned, so I will certainly take a look and see. Finding a lot of stuff to actually play individually a lot prior to purchase is a pretty big challenge though.

I guess the real goal is to make sure I get something significantly better than what I had.

One guy mentioned something about being mocked having a Gibson if you couldn't play, and that is a concern for sure. I suppose I want to maximize my investment by getting the highest quality thing I can without looking like an idiot that spent too much money on something he can't use.

I should also mention that I'm not a complete beginner... while it's probably apprent I haven't had any formal instruction, I can play all the basic major/minor chords quickly and well, and a few little diddies here and there. Would it be helpful to record something and share?

Third, I won't attempt adding pickups covers--more "to it" than realized.

Lastly, fantastic response to the amp situation. I will definitely look some more into this, and may be back with questions... although I believe there's a separate forum section for that..

Thanks!
Can i make a suggestion that will get me kicked out of the forum?

Start with an acoustic guitar

You're gonna be spending about 600$ for a guitar and amp if you start electric, and what you'll be getting is an entry level guitar and an entry level amp

spend the same 600$ and you could have a very nice acoustic
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I have an acoustic guitar. Appreciate that suggestion, but it is not what I want to take further at this time.
whatever you do just make sure if you get a really high quality guitar like a gibson, prs, etc. you play it through a decent amp. a 3000 dollar guitar would sound like shit through a bad amp. a shit guitar would sound good through a 3000 dollar amp. i'd focus on the playability for now. the easier your guitar is to play the quicker you will learn. and don't worry about looking stupid with an expensive guitar that you can't play. if you can put in the time to afford it than thats your prerogative, its just annoying when parents buy their 10 year old better equipment than most serious players have lol
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Well maybe what I should do is get one of the less-expensive Gibsons in that case, with a new amp, rather than something too flashy. I just want to be careful to not drop a lot of money on something that is going to make me look like an idiot when I could have gotten another imitating model from another brand for considerably less. :\
You know, I got a Strat then sold it and bought a brand new USA PRS and I couldn't play very much at all. I still kind of feel bad about it when I see guys that can absolutely shred but don't have the dough for better gear. But you know, there are people that buy Ferrari's that never put them on a racetrack or drive them hard. No difference, man. Again, don't sweat it. And honestly, by the time you're ready to start jamming with others you'll then be "good enough".

Once you think you're ready to start looking you'll want to get input on which guitars are better buys than others. For instance, I'd say the higher end Epiphones can be better values than the lower end Gibsons (my opinion based on various pieces of input). There are Strats that are just fantastic values, whereas others might be good players but not give you quite as much bang for your buck. Same with pretty much every make.

And to reiterate, if an LP or an SG gets your motor running, then that's exactly where I'd start looking! You might find that once you start looking you fall in love with single cut ESPs or PRS. Or that an Explorer all of a sudden gets your interest. Well, you can jump off that bridge when you get to it. But until then, I say fugg it. Start looking where your love is.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
richard,
Thanks for the input.

I recently played a mid-high Epiphone model and compared to a lesser-expensive Gibson (one of their studio "faded" models) and seriously thought that the Gibson both sounded and played better.

But with people saying the higher-end Epi's might beat out the lower Gibsons, I wonder if maybe I am not hearing things "correctly", and that with a more trained ear and playing, I might realize I made a mistake.

Thoughts?
It's all opinion. Always.

If you personally found that you preferred the tone and playability of the Gibson then don't let people on the internet convince you that the Epiphone is better.

My 2c...
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by beetuna
richard,
Thanks for the input.

I recently played a mid-high Epiphone model and compared to a lesser-expensive Gibson (one of their studio "faded" models) and seriously thought that the Gibson both sounded and played better.

But with people saying the higher-end Epi's might beat out the lower Gibsons, I wonder if maybe I am not hearing things "correctly", and that with a more trained ear and playing, I might realize I made a mistake.

Thoughts?

It all depends. I have played gibsons good and bad. I have played Epis that are terrible some that are on par with gibson and some higher end EPIs that kill the low end Gibsons. But you need to play a lot and find one that fits. Some say this is a good point to the Gibson/Epi brand, personaly I feel it shows how inconsistant of a product they build. But Gibsons and Epis are decent guitars . Just go to several stores if you can and play every one you can find and see how it feels, write down the serial # and keep track so you can go back and get it later. Dont ever buy one online!
And most important about this site is you need to take everything everybody says and average it out. I see a lot of good info being given. But Some many times I see very wrong info given here it makes me cringe.
The amp you have is fine for starting out.
What the hell!!!
Thanks for the info...

Not sure I agree about the online thing, though. I bought my acoustic guitar online. (Actually, I bought two, with the intent of playing both, and keeping the one I wanted, and shipping the other back). At the time, anyways, back in 2004 I think, they had really good return policies.

On a side note, how about those "knockoff" or "imitation" things like the "Agile" guitars I'm seeing so much about, or the Vintage ones listed in this thread, or the billions of others. Those apparently can really only be found online. How do I know what is worth a darn?
Quote by beetuna
Thanks for the info...

Not sure I agree about the online thing, though. I bought my acoustic guitar online. (Actually, I bought two, with the intent of playing both, and keeping the one I wanted, and shipping the other back). At the time, anyways, back in 2004 I think, they had really good return policies.

On a side note, how about those "knockoff" or "imitation" things like the "Agile" guitars I'm seeing so much about, or the Vintage ones listed in this thread, or the billions of others. Those apparently can really only be found online. How do I know what is worth a darn?

Thats a hard ??? Start up a thread and see what kind of answers you get. Personaly I would never buy a guitar nor ever have without playing it first. Thats just me. I am a freak like that. Buying used is not too big a problem, you just need to inspect it closly and if something isnt right or the price is way out of line dont buy it.
What the hell!!!
didn't read through the whole thread, read the whole OP though.

get something that feels the best to you. if you know a person who knows about guitars, i would look used. you can find the lower end Gibson LP's or SG's under $500, without trouble. make sure you don't get a fake, hence bring a buddy along.

my logic for buying used is if you get rid of it, and it is in similar condition, you won't lose or gain much money, i figure 10% either way, other than buying from a store and looking at 40% by walking out the door.

one of my favorite guitars at the moment is my Faded Gibson 'satin ebony' Gibson Les Paul. finish feels great on your hands (i love nitro), not sticky like poly guitars get. good all around guitar, you will likely want to change pickups down the road, but worry about that then.

go for sound. that is the most important thing, however as long as it looks presentable

i have a student now in the mid 40's and i am turning 22 next month. its never too late to start. it will bring many years of enjoyment.

do take lessons when you start if you can afford, at least a month's worse, so you don't develop poor habits.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by beetuna
richard,
Thanks for the input.

Thoughts?

Lots of valid opinions above.

I personally have no problem buying online, used or otherwise. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal.

But we're getting down to the crux of the matter right here. We've given you probably enough info to get you going. Everything past this point is getting into nit picky opinion. Start up a thread if you have a question about a particular model -- and don't forget to check out the Reveiws link at the top of the page (or the one I just posted). You'll find a ton of info on an awful lot of gear there.

If you felt like you bonded with the Gibby, start there! Remember, it's just a guitar. And while I love the ones I have, if I didn't I could just sell them.

Oh, and one last note. There's nothing wrong with liking something because you think it's cool, has a brand name you think is valuable, etc. People here and there may call that out as vanity, but my opinion is that's just one of the things that helps people make decisions. Just remember -- some people will go out of their way to be different, but in reality it's the same thing; just manifested in a different way.

You know, the ol', "I'm different -- just like everyone else!"
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
that +311
again +311, etc.

Quote by richardlpalmer
Lots of valid opinions above.

I personally have no problem buying online, used or otherwise. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal.

But we're getting down to the crux of the matter right here. We've given you probably enough info to get you going. Everything past this point is getting into nit picky opinion. Start up a thread if you have a question about a particular model -- and don't forget to check out the Reveiws link at the top of the page (or the one I just posted). You'll find a ton of info on an awful lot of gear there.

If you felt like you bonded with the Gibby, start there! Remember, it's just a guitar. And while I love the ones I have, if I didn't I could just sell them.

Oh, and one last note. There's nothing wrong with liking something because you think it's cool, has a brand name you think is valuable, etc. People here and there may call that out as vanity, but my opinion is that's just one of the things that helps people make decisions. Just remember -- some people will go out of their way to be different, but in reality it's the same thing; just manifested in a different way.

You know, the ol', "I'm different -- just like everyone else!"

if you buy from a good company (musicians friend, music 123, etc) their return policies are pretty lax. if it doesn't come right the first time, it will the second. also let them know that you are not happy if something is wrong. they will take money off of it, and often if you are aggressive enough a nice chunk, i got over 20% off one time (those are one of the times that you buy $3000-$5000, like i did at the time), although it was a hassle.

play what is comfortable. play what sounds good for you. make you own choices, however i am many others are more than happy to help you.

try what you like. sometimes an odd piece of gear can be pretty cool.

this is going to be a shitstorm eventually, however the best logic has been given.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
One thing I would like to put bluntly, that other users have said, would be to try and not take price into account. I got my first guitar, my Schecter C-1 for about $800. This was my first mistake, not knowing what I wanted, etc. The guitar played fine, but I didn't quite like the neck. This summer I bought a $500 Made in Mexico Telecaster. It is my number 1 guitar now because it feels better to me. With some guitars you are going to pay for the paint. With other guitars you are going to pay for the sound. With others, the feel.

If you were going to buy shoes, you wouldnt want a pair that hurt your feet, right?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
First...does anyone find the concept of looking for "feedback" in an electric guitar forum amusing besides me?

Rehashing as little as possible:

1) Anyone can take lessons and get something from them if properly motivated.

2) If/when you take lessons, ask your teacher about purchasing an electric. He'll be able to give you some advice based on who YOU are. But in the final analysis, the choice is yours. My first electric had to be special ordered because nobody in the entire Dallas/FW metroplex sold the guitar I wanted.

3) Something I did that initially saved me some $$$ was to buy a Korg Pandora* for about $175 instead of buying an amp. That gave me a tuner, a metronome, a broad array of synthesized drum beats and a whole bunch of digitally modeled effects & amps, all played through my headphones so I could play anytime, anywhere without disturbing anyone. Besides the practice flexibility this gave me, it also let me figure out what kind of amp and effects I really wanted. And it let me spend more on my first guitar than I otherwise might have been able to do.

* Similar devices like the Line6 POD and Tascam GT-R1 are available, some of which have additional tricks like recording your music or serving as an interface with your computer. There are also apps for iPhones, iPads and Android phones & tablets that can do similar things.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
... a Korg Pandora* ... Line6 POD and Tascam GT-R1 are available...

danny,
I'm pretty interested in these devices as well. Where would you suggest I get some more info on these and how they would fit with where I am?

Thanks!
If you look in the catalogs & websites of Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center or the respective manufacturers, you'll find them. Probably in the pedals, recording or accessories sections. Most brick & mortar stores carry them too.

As I recall, the Line6 POD is the current market leader.

As for the phone/tablet apps, check the app stores of course.

One nifty one that popped up in just the past month or so is the Digitech iBP-10, which is actually a large multieffects pedal into which you plug your app-equipped iPad. That one not only models cabs and pedals, it let's you assemble your own virtual rig from a selection of about $50k's worth of modeled gear...and supposedly, you'll be able to download other amp & pedal models in the future. (I'm thinking birthday or Christmas 2012. )
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
If you look in the catalogs & websites of Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center or the respective manufacturers, you'll find them. Probably in the pedals, recording or accessories sections. Most brick & mortar stores carry them too.

As I recall, the Line6 POD is the current market leader.

As for the phone/tablet apps, check the app stores of course.

One nifty one that popped up in just the past month or so is the Digitech iBP-10, which is actually a large multieffects pedal into which you plug your app-equipped iPad. That one not only models cabs and pedals, it let's you assemble your own virtual rig from a selection of about $50k's worth of modeled gear...and supposedly, you'll be able to download other amp & pedal models in the future. (I'm thinking birthday or Christmas 2012. )

Thanks for the heads up. Although, I don't own any tablets.
Stopped at the guitar shop today to check out some amps.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Peavy ValveKing 112?
Quote by beetuna
Stopped at the guitar shop today to check out some amps.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Peavy ValveKing 112?

If you like it -- all good (and I mean that).
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
When i first went amp shopping, I liked Peavey in general...but I preferred the Fender amps. They're pricier, but I thought it was worth it.

That said, I think I have far too much amp for my current usage. I rarely get the thing's volume past 4. More than that and I start having problems...like scaring my doggies. I probably could have been just as happy with a low-wattage but high end tube amp.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 31, 2012,
danny, any specific suggestions? That's really what I think I want. I don't need anything huge.
If it was me, I would play the exact rig you want. Then adjust your finances to make it affordable. And get exactly what you want. Doesnt matter what anyone else says. If thats a daisy guitar and an mg, go for it. If not, even better haha. That being said, enjoy yourself. Alot of people offer guitar advice based on what they like. I think SGs are neck heavy. I think les paul and copies arent as comfortable as say... a strat (i own a MIM classic player 60s strat, sunburst). But some people hate strats. Depends on what your playing and what lights your fire man. Enjoy.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by beetuna
danny, any specific suggestions? That's really what I think I want. I don't need anything huge.

Not really, man, because I don't have your ears.

When I went shopping, I wanted the cleanest cleans I could find...and that happened to be a Fender HRD.

However, I'd also like to get an Orange of some kind, which is anything but clean. And since I know that my HRD is simply too loud, I'll probably get a Tiny Terror, which has a 3rd of the power...and virtually the same price.

So you need to figure out what kind of sound you're aiming for, then you can narrow down what brands to look for.

danny,
this is going to sound like a silly question, but how do I figure out what kind of sound I'm looking for?
Should I focus on specific songs or bands? Or even maybe pick out a particular recording from a live performance? Can one really narrow down specific amps to look at based on something like this?
EDIT: ^^^ I dont think anyone really sets out to find a sound.....it just comes. Get something that sounds good, they're too many sounds out there to specify and too many "ingredients" to achieve a certain sound.

Not sure if this was mentioned cuz I didn't read all the comments *read most though*

but If you're planning on getting say a faded studio now and later getting a mid range epi for the visual appeal, just go get one of the finished studios (that is assuming you're set on a Gibson LP) or the likes.

You'll end up spending the same either way.

And go for the feel, not sound.

You've got to learn to feel the guitar, embrace it. Think of it as an extension of your body and hands. Let the vibrations take you over. And always....always...make weird faces that make you look like you're constipated when you play the blues.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by beetuna
danny,
this is going to sound like a silly question, but how do I figure out what kind of sound I'm looking for?
Should I focus on specific songs or bands? Or even maybe pick out a particular recording from a live performance? Can one really narrow down specific amps to look at based on something like this?

You can narrow things down that way.

However, don't try too hard to settle into one single sound.

I love to listen to metal, new wave & jazz as my favorite genres, but I don't often play in those styles. Sonically, I play more blues, Latin, surf, & Prog...but I don't play them straight up. I might use a Latin sound for a Prog riff, or use surf tones for a blues tune.

As a result, I chose an amp that was fairly neutral. That also means its harder to actually get the right tone for certain kinds of metal.

The thing is, i bet most guys looking for a single, distinctive tone are pros or are trying to emulate those guys. And even THOSE guys may use a variety of tones when playing just for fun. I can pick out a Joe Satriani tune pretty easily...but when he covered "Sleepwalk", his tone was much closer to the original song than his usual tone.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as though the places by me carry those.
Quote by beetuna
Hi all,

I'm an old guy who took up guitar a couple of years ago at the age of 51. So this is all from the perspective of a new guitarist, who started late in life

1) Definitely take lessons. It'll help you progress and avoid bad habits. It's never too late for lessons. And you'll find they help you focus in your practice. Also, try to find some guys to play with, for the same reason.

2) Buy for sound, but get a guitar you can stand to look at. You start getting into pretty good guitars at around the $500 mark, and then it just goes up from there. The Les Paul Studios, the Fender Made In Mexico stratocaster standards are good reasonably priced places to start. Don't be afraid to look at Craigslist for used models. I personally enjoy pretty guitars, and have a couple beauties that I enjoy playing. Other guys don't care what their axes look like. Only you can answer that. A pretty guitar is easier to sell used if you decide that a change is in order.

3) get whatever you like. It's hard to buy a bad guitar these days if you're spending over $500. Get what feels good in your lap - you're going to spend a lot of time with it. SG's are fine guitars, I just think they're ugly. I'm a Stratocaster guy, with a Les Paul for contrast.

4) You're thinking too much. Just get a guitar and an amp, and get started.

5) If you like the looks of covered humbuckers, get a guitar with covered humbuckers to start out. People do swap the pickups in total, but they don't add covers. You should try to get what you want to start - they are available.

6) Get as good an amp as you can afford, it makes a big difference in the quality of the tone you can produce. The amp matters more to the tone than the guitar does. You can start with the one you have, but you should budget and plan for an upgrade if you're going to get serious. My amp cost almost as much as my Les Paul.

My advice to you is to get an inexpensive stratocaster, les paul, or SG, whatever spins your beanie, and start playing. You'll learn through playing what you like, and inevitably you'll make some changes. It may make sense to buy a used guitar through CL to start, and figure out what you like and don't like. I ended up trading away my first guitar, and buying a few more for various reasons before I settled in on my players. If you do buy a used guitar, take it to a shop and have them set it up for you to make sure it plays well - this will avoid frustration for you. That will add 60-75 bucks to the cost. But you can get a fender Made in Mexico Strat for $250-300 bucks used, plus a $75 setup, and have a guitar that is just as good as a $600 new one. The same is true of a studio Les Paul, though they will run you more money.

Congratulations on entering the world of music. It's fun.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Quote by beetuna
danny,

I would do this in two steps. Get a guitar you like now, and start playing through your Line 6. Eventually, you'll start wanting something different, and that is when you should go amp shopping.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Alright I personally think that you should teach yourself just for the fact that you save money you get your own playing style. Hendrix played around wih the guitar and he never got any lessons and one day he said that the clouds opened and it became clear also it is much more satisfiing when you figure out a insane riff instead of someone telling exactly how to do it.

When you buy a guitar you have to take under consideration if you are really going to stick with it... If you a 1000 dollar guitar and you play it 12 times you just screwed yourself because selling guitars suck you get like 400 dollars for it because it's used and hey have to make a profit my suggestion get something used for 25O-350 like a Mexican strat or ep if you stick with it then go a head buy a 2500 dollar guitar
Last edited by Mballantine at Mar 2, 2012,
What's with the month out bump? How'd you even find this thread to post in -- must have been quite a few pages deep...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native