I've known fingerstyle for quite some time but i only come back and play fingerstyle songs now and then so my callouses tend to go away. I started learning one of my favourite fingerstyle pieces and after only about 20minutes i have a really harsh blister on my third finger from playing the high e.

Is there some sort of way you guitarists recommend playing whilst with blisters or should i just neglect that part of the song until it heals up. I thought about replacing my third finger with the second finger for playing the high e but i thought that would screw up my technique and just confuse me later when my finger heals up.

Halp
You could try replacing your third finger with the pinky but to be honest my first reaction is to say cut down for a while or do something pick style until it's healed; no one wants an infected blister on a finger they like to use.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Let it heal.
Of more interest... What are you doing that would cause blisters?

If this was caused by something not guitar-related, like grabbing something hot, then grit your teeth and let it heal.

However, if your playing is causing blisters... Something's wrong. I've been playing fingerstyle on a variety of instruments for about 40 years and never had any sort of irritation whatever.
You need to examine your technique if this is the case.
Quote by Bikewer
Let it heal.
Of more interest... What are you doing that would cause blisters?

I would wonder about technique, too.

vayne92,
Are you popping the high e? (that's not a drug reference!)

The only time I've had a finger blister was from popping on bass guitar, where the strings are a bit rougher.
Hey vayne,

If you want to develop your playing endurance faster (ie. calluses) you MUST stop playing as SOON as you see any tiny resemblance of a blister.

You CAN play a different song that requires different fingers, but you're right, you shouldn't use two different fingers to play the same piece... your fingers will get confused. haha
It could be my technique but i don't think so. I just haven't fingerpicked in months and months so my fingers on that hand are pretty much brand new to the strings of a guitar. I start my first classical guitar lessons though tomorrow so perhaps my teacher can enlighten me as to if i'm doing anything wrong.
Nothing to add, but I think it's relevant the same thing happened to me when I was taking lessons and the school's guitars fucking sucked. The strings were so rusty even doing slides can sometimes hurt.
Quote by vayne92
I start my first classical guitar lessons though tomorrow so perhaps my teacher can enlighten me as to if i'm doing anything wrong.

Congrats! Let us know how it goes

Here, if you are wondering how to make sure you got a good teacher, check out this video:

www.guitarlessonsinsandiego.com/AvoidBadGuitarTeachers.html

It's not uncommon that a guitar teacher can actually hurt you more than help you :/
My teacher was fantastic. Makes the teacher i had briefly 2 years ago look like a joke. Funnily enough one of my best friends from high school who has been playing around 7 years now got guitar lessons from him too and he happened to be at the guys house so that was great. I'm sure i got lucky with a great teacher here.
that is very cool. does he teach in a variety of formats? ie. private lessons, group training?

about how much would you say he had you practice in front of him? how much of the lesson was 'training' rather than 'new information'?

just curious
Well they're classical guitar lessons. Because i know only the basics of theory, he taught me about all the root 5 and 6 major and minor barre chords and that i'll need to learn them all eventually as it'll make improvising that much easier and everything else etc. He analysed my fingerpicking technique and just taught me a lot about improv. I need someone to drill theory into me so he did his job on that part.

I didn't practise all that much infront of him. He only asked me to play something fingerpicked for about 5 seconds before he could figure out where i was at :p