First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I couldn't find a more suitable place to put this post.

I've had numerous guitars in the past, but this one is irritating me. Basically all strings are on but the D string (E-A-D-G-B-e) is resting on the first fret. This causes a rattling sound, though no other strings are resting on the frets.

The only thing I can think of, is raising the bridge - though it's already raised quite a bit. The strings are quite far from the higher frets too.

The strings I use are Super Slinky. I am not sure what strings originally came with the Guitar, but they did feel thicker. I am not sure if the string thickness should play a part on how low the string is to the frets, I would imagine the Nut was designed to support multiple thickness'.

If you have any possible solutions that are easy to achieve (meaning, I don't want to dismantle the whole thing if I don't have to), then feel free to respond to this post.
This belongs in eletric guitar.

Your neck truss rod needs adjusted. Take it to a pro and get it setup, it's worth it big time!
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter
This belongs in eletric guitar.

Your neck truss rod needs adjusted. Take it to a pro and get it setup, it's worth it big time!

Oh, thank you! I just had a quick read about Truss Rods. Although I knew it existed inside the neck, I never knew what it actually did.

I shall take it to a pro, and gather some more information about it from them
I'm also thinking it might be the nut. It's likely that it's a bit of both.

However, I don't think you should take it to a pro to adjust the truss rod - it's something you'd do well to know how to do yourself. People are always scaring inexperienced people off with things like "you can break the neck big time with that shit", and while it's possible, if you're just being careful, it'll be fine.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Well, looking at it - the D is obviously lower on the nut, than what the other strings are. It's unfortunate how this is a relatively new guitar, and this was the first time I've restrung it since I bought it 3 weeks or so ago. The truss rod was not messed with, all I've done with it was restrung it with a possibly different gauge of strings than what was originally used.

I have looked at methods used to remove a nut, and it all seems relatively simple. The part that may cause a problem for me is getting the new nut to fit perfectly.

Do you recommend me taking the guitar to a pro to replace the nut? I am liking the way the Earvana Shelf Nut appears though.
Well, try putting a small piece of paper in the nut for a quick fix. You only need a small tightely folded piece of paper. If that fails have a tech replace the nut. That way it's diffently correctly in postition.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
New guitar?? Only three weeks old??
Take it back to where ya got it. Either have them fix or replace it!

Baring that.... as above posts indicate.
Yeah, I thought of stuffing something in there... I'll try paper for a temporary fix, then later on get it sorted properly.