hi, this is probably a stupid question but how would you play the riffs of slayer songs like angel of death and war ensemble? the problem is they are so fast my playing gets very sloppy and i just get tired after about a minute and start to slow down. is there any technique or excersice i can do to improve my picking speed?
Quote by rroastbeef
hi, this is probably a stupid question but how would you play the riffs of slayer songs like angel of death and war ensemble? the problem is they are so fast my playing gets very sloppy and i just get tired after about a minute and start to slow down. is there any technique or excersice i can do to improve my picking speed?

just make sure you're using your wrist to move the pick and not your elbow. also try not to over pick, meaning don't make wide movements, pick as narrow as possible. it really just comes down to practice
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Practise economy picking to a metronome. Start off slow, then once you're comfortable move on to a slightly faster speed. Remember that the slower you go, the better. Rushing and trying to pick really fast actually makes you a lot worse. Speed is all about comfort and precision, and those are things that come with time.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If u can play master of puppets at 200bpm downpicking only... i.e, u practised for that level , slayer's alternate picking would be child's play.
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to keep your wrist/hand relaxed while picking fast.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by MrFlibble
Practise economy picking to a metronome. Start off slow, then once you're comfortable move on to a slightly faster speed. Remember that the slower you go, the better. Rushing and trying to pick really fast actually makes you a lot worse. Speed is all about comfort and precision, and those are things that come with time.

It usually takes me a few days of practice to get back up to that pickin style speed, but ya you just need to practice. Its not easy if you dont do it all the time. some of that Slayer stuff is hard to pick right. And now that I am 42 its even harder some days.

Mr Flibble is right on.

o ya what pick are you using? I need to use a green or blue Tortex for that speed. Purple too thick and yellow too thin.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 29, 2012,
Like I keep having to tell myself, slow it down, get it right, speed it up!

every so often I will play something through at full speed just to see how far I have progressed or how much I still suck!
Quote by nitarsh
If u can play master of puppets at 200bpm downpicking only... i.e, u practised for that level , slayer's alternate picking would be child's play.

just did it for the hell of it and i'm gonna say angel of death and war ensemble are way harder
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I have a question to add to this, in regards to what Goodtimes666 said.

What SHOULD I move? The wrist or the elbow? I keep getting confliciting information on this!

Thanks!
Quote by nitarsh
Excactly, Metallica is the solution. It helped me
SLAYERRRRRRRRRRR uses an up/down alternate pick. I don't know how long you've been playing, but something tells me you haven't been playing long and you're trying to push your limits too hard, too fast. Work with something like Behind the Crooked Cross, it's a little slower but it's still groovy as hell, and it'll help you build up to that insane Slayering

Quote by Rainmaker31
I have a question to add to this, in regards to what Goodtimes666 said.

What SHOULD I move? The wrist or the elbow? I keep getting confliciting information on this!

Thanks!

You should use them both to an extent you feel comfortable with. Just your elbow will have to move your entire arm repeatedly and your wrist would be more at risk for devoloping injuries. Use them both together and you'll greatly reduce damage
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
The fundamental concepts to keep in mind when playing a musical instrument is economy of motion and efficiency of movement. The smaller and more precise your movements, the more aesthetically pleasing an aural result you'll achieve, and the less stressful a physical movement you'll achieve.
The wrist comprises of smaller muscles than the forearm, so it stands to reason to use those smaller, more intricate muscles for precise (not to mention repeated) movements like picking. For the sake of comparison, if you're writing on a piece of paper, chances are you'll be holding the pencil near the lead tip rather than the extreme opposite end, which lends itself well to small, concentrated movements. Conversely, holding the pencil near the eraser end will make for exaggerated movements without conscious control, and sloppy hand-writing.

I'd only ever recommend moving the forearm at all for crossing non-adjacent strings, for two reasons. Firstly, string crossing necessitates covering a greater distance, so it would be both impractical and a strain to use the wrist to produce such large movements in a short space of time; if you were to hold your picking hand out in front of you, and flick your wrist at a 30-degree angle left and right repeatedly, you'll find that it not only produces an unnatural sensation, but your entire forearm will tense up, which can lead to repeated strain injuries.

Secondly, using your forearm to re-position your picking hand slightly for new string sets will allow you to maintain the same angle of pick attack, making for a consistent tone and unaltered amount of physical effort. I'm not advocating large motions - smaller, controlled movements are always more efficient and comfortable - but it's about the only situation I'd recommend moving the forearm/elbow, and that's only to move the picking hand and prime the wrist for its new task.

To test this out, try positioning your picking hand in a comfortable spot to pick your low 6th string. Now, without using your forearm to slightly change your hand's position, aim to pick the high 1st string - your pick's angle will have changed drastically, making for an uneven tone and unnatural hand position.
Conversely, position your hand in a comfortable spot to pick your low 6th string, and then move your forearm ever-so-slightly to allow your hand the same (or very similar) picking angle on the high E. Hopefully you'll see that the forearm doesn't need to move much at all when playing guitar, even when alternating between two extremes such as the lowest and highest strings.
Last edited by juckfush at Jan 29, 2012,
foo fighters - monkey wrench.

good way to practice alternative picking. and string skipping. sounds rad too. all the above posts have mentioned everything appropriate.
One of the things that took my the longest to get much better at doing while playing fast music, such as Angel Of Death or other various Death Metal is this:

Relax. Learn to play fast and relaxed at the same time.

My playing has improved a ton just because of this! At first, you want to make a concerted effort while playing. Ask yourself if you are relaxed and think about it. Breathe, relax, re-start. I used to pick with the same aggression, adrenaline, and tension that the music gave me and that caused me to play far below my capability for a long time.
----------------------
ESP LTD MH-417
ESP LTD EC-400
POD X3 Live
Randall RG100SC
Boss HM-2