I have been playing guitar for around 7 months now and I have a choice of two songs to perform for my music exam (i have around 5 months to learn it I think). The two songs i can choose from are Albatross by Fleetwood Mac or Parisienne Walkways by Gary Moore. I prefer Parisienne Walkways in terms of listening, but which will i be able to play better? I really want to get a good grade, but I might mess up on playing Parisienne walkways because it seems harder.
They're both pretty easy. The arpeggio part on Parisienne walkways was difficult for me for like a day but then I very quickly got the hang of it.
The most difficult part of parissiene walkways is the timing. It's in 7/8 so it'll take some. Practice with a metronome.
Last edited by itamar100 at Jan 29, 2012,
I would imagine Parisienne walkways is harder for most people. Lots of bends and vibrato. It also has a super fast blues lick halfway through which will be very very hard for someone who has been playing 7 months. Timing is also harder on parisienne walkways.

If you fancy a challenge choose Parisinne walkways although i would say the safer bet is albatross. You could EASILY learn both in 5 months and then pick on the day. I just reckon you will have trouble nailing that lick in the parisienne walkways as you've been playing for 7 months and you shouldn't be sacrificing clean playing for speed especially at this stage.

You could be awesome though, i dont know. Just make sure learn the song slowly and practice vibrato a lot. Adding vibrato to bends is advanced technique so make sure you can bend in tune before you attempt it.

edit: parisienne walkways is in 12/8
I haven't really understood any of the theory side to anything because my school never gets round to giving me the things I need D: At the moment, I don't know any scales, i think i just know the A major pentatonic... I can play barre chords and know all of the basic chords if that helps anything? The timing of music is pretty easy if I know the song, I just don't get how people use the metronome on those kind of songs. Bending and vibrato is pretty easy for me because i have strong fingers

Edit: Also on youtube, the versions I have listened to all seem to be different and have improvisation, does this mean I will have to improvise in my exam or am i just not finding the right version to listen to?
Last edited by nubs97 at Jan 29, 2012,
If it will determine your grade, and you have a choice, pick the easier song. Albatross, that is.

Anyone can learn that in 5 months so just chill.
Quote by nubs97
I haven't really understood any of the theory side to anything because my school never gets round to giving me the things I need D: At the moment, I don't know any scales, i think i just know the A major pentatonic... I can play barre chords and know all of the basic chords if that helps anything? The timing of music is pretty easy if I know the song, I just don't get how people use the metronome on those kind of songs. Bending and vibrato is pretty easy for me because i have strong fingers

Edit: Also on youtube, the versions I have listened to all seem to be different and have improvisation, does this mean I will have to improvise in my exam or am i just not finding the right version to listen to?

Either learn from tabs or learn the scale/key that its played in (very well) and improvise.
Quote by nubs97

Parisienne walkways is in A minor and at one point it uses a few accidentals over a diminished chord. Learn the notes of A minor

A B C D E F G

Find them over the neck and just mess around with them.
Playing an easy piece well with no mistakes is very often better than playing a hard piece poorly with some mistakes, if I were you I'd play 'Albatross', but really work hard to nail every single detail and try and capture the same feeling the original had, examiners like that
Quote by geo1450
Playing an easy piece well with no mistakes is very often better than playing a hard piece poorly with some mistakes, if I were you I'd play 'Albatross', but really work hard to nail every single detail and try and capture the same feeling the original had, examiners like that

This. Every time. If you can shed an easier song and make it sound awesome, they'll respect that more than going for a song that you weren't ready to play and fumbling through it.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by Jyrgen
If it will determine your grade, and you have a choice, pick the easier song. Albatross, that is.

Anyone can learn that in 5 months so just chill.

I love how you say to chill while your user title is stresshead.