I have been thinking about getting Guitar Pro 6. I was just wondering who here has the program and what you think of it?
I have GP5 and it's a really useful piece of technology
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I also prefer GP5. Both really good programmes though. If they have demo versions for them both try them out see which one you prefer.
I recently upgraded to 6 from 5, and I'm enjoying it. I can't find that many differences, except the addition of RSE instruments, and the better lookng interface imho. I'd take 6 over 5, just because it looks cleaner, rather than a old Windows 98 program.
Alot of people use and prefer 5 still, but I really love 6. If you haven't used any of them so far it's worth the investment. A little bit of a learning curve, but solid overall. There is an issue with how you import powertabs, but it's just a matter of using the import feature, instead of opening normally like you would in gp5. I have used both and have had 6 for 2 years now. I find the versatillity of tones to be greater, allowing a better experience in playback. This program has streamlined my production. Allowing you to really map everything, creating a great layout to transfer drums accurately when used in conjunction with superior drummer or any other drum rendering software. Also, I have noticed a huge difference in my accuracy and timing since the playback feature really assists in creating a solid internal timing. The ability to slow the riffs to assist in learning is also AMAZING. I would have never learned some of the between the buried and me solos without it. Deadly surfer has it right. It is much cleaner as well. Ibanezfan is right about the demos as well, that way you can save the headache of possibly wasting money. I hope this helps!
Last edited by xuriah at Jan 29, 2012,
I really enjoy using all the different instruments in 5 because you can writr the music out in tablature format. 6 doesnt allow that but the RSEs are amazing. Theres also a bunch of amps and effects pedals.
Quote by ColdHeartedHero
I really enjoy using all the different instruments in 5 because you can writr the music out in tablature format. 6 doesnt allow that but the RSEs are amazing. Theres also a bunch of amps and effects pedals.

Out of interest, which are missing?
I prefer the 6th one, it's more ... "musical". What I mean is that you can't tab the drums using numbers no more, but you have to use the staff, and you can't write vocal or violin on the tab, so that's a piece of education for you! I learned a lot about various staffs from this. Also, the soundbank is amazing - you can setup almoust everything. 90% songs I written or learned I used guitar pro.
Get one and use it! But don't forget that you have ears...
Both versions are just as brilliant as each other. If you've already been using GP5, the interface change might put you off. If you're going to be a complete new user, get GP6.
404: Sig not found.
I got GP6, and it's great!

Both for learning and composing!
I'd say get it as fast as you can, it really is a great piece of software for any musician.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
As some of you may know, I'm pretty much a complete beginner so I have nothing in terms of technology with my guitar. Would I need any special types of cords? I don't have an MIDI cord or anything like that?
I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do in 5 that you cannot do in 6; anybody care to illustrate?
I like 6 better. It takes a bit to get used to if you used 5 but it works great. I have the iPad app too which is awesome.
Quote by Lord Kamina
I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do in 5 that you cannot do in 6; anybody care to illustrate?

Eight-string guitars. But that's the only reason I use it sparingly; I prefer GP5 or Sibelius.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
Eight-string guitars. But that's the only reason I use it sparingly; I prefer GP5 or Sibelius.

Well, you got me there.

Though IMO, multi-voice support > 8-stringed guitars.

EDIT:

Actually... I'm not following you here,

I have gp5 ... gp6 is so bad.
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Do you have 5 right now or have you never used guitar pro at all? Guitar Pro IMO is the single most useful guitar tool you can have. Other than maybe the guitar itself
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Guitar Pro IMO is the single most useful guitar tool you can have. Other than maybe the guitar itself

Agree with this!

To everyone saying GP6 is terrible, there's been a bunch of updates since it came out that have improved on certain issues with the early versions; eg. you no longer have to use the RSE. I hated when it first came out too, but it is better now. That said, I still use GP5
I seriously cannot understand why anybody would prefer GP5 to GP6; Guitar Pro 6 lets you do anything that GP5 does, and more.
I haven't used a guitar pro at all so I'll probably end up getting it off amazon. I know my guitar teacher talks wonders about it.
I'v got GP 5- I just use it for reading tabs- but for that, it's the best peice of software I'v ever used, it doesn't give picking info, which would be nice- but other than that, I can't fault it!
no experiance with 6.
Quote by Evilllamas
... it doesn't give picking info ...

Do you mean up/down-strokes? Because it does that:

It's on the bottom toolbar:
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Last edited by FishStik at Feb 1, 2012,
I actually bought GP6, mostly because I just wanted a legitimate copy with support and such (not that I'll really ever need support but whatever).
I enjoy it, I don't like the price too much though (10-20 pounds less would have been a perfect price for me).

But yeah, get it, you may as well. Eventually GP5 is going to be obsolete, and actually buying GP6 will get you a discount for GP7.

Just to be clear though, I never really seriously used GP5, at least not for composing. But ever since I started college I have really enjoyed the process of composing on GP6.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Feb 3, 2012,
Quote by MaddMann274
Guitar Pro 5 is much much better for me.

But... why? Nobody has been able to answer that so far.
Lol, asking whether to get GP6 on UG...

Seriously man, GP6 is a phenomenal tool for writing music. It does take a little while getting used to the huge, mainly interface, differences between them. My only con to GP6 in comparison is the percussion writing...but you get used to it eventually.
I really enjoy the program and it's helped my playing out a lot on many levels. It helps with rhythm, reading music, and nailing songs. Additionally you can download unlimited tabs for free. Totally worth getting.
Guitar Pro is such a good investment. Especially for the speed trainer function.