Hey everyone, I just picked up a Hot Rod Deluxe used off of Craigslist the other day, sounded great when I tested it out. The thing is, is that the volume wasn't that loud when I got to test it out. I took it home, put it on about 2, and played an E, and I heard this sort of electrical shorting noise. That's really the best way that I can describe it. Could it be tubes rattling violently? Or would it definitely be an electrical problem? I really have no clue.

Could anyone help me figure out why it does this?
the pots might be dirty
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
It sounded sort of like a scratchy pot, but it doesn't scratch when I turn them.
Pull the tubes out and plug them back in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Pull the tubes out and plug them back in.

I think this may have fixed the problem, thank you. I didn't get to test it for very long since I had to go do stuff, but I'll report back later when I can play it some more.
Tubes do rattle loose at times.

Cleaning the pins and socket like 311 suggested is worth doing too. I do it every time I change tubes. All sorts of filth can accumulate inside a contact. Often just pulling out the tubes can clear it, sometimes it takes cleaner, sometimes they are just loose in the socket.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just removing the tubes and putting them back didn't work. I'll try the contact cleaner. Where can I get a hold of it?
You do it by spraying the tube pins liberally and then work it in and out a few times. ie you use the tube pins as the applicator.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification