Hey so I'd really appreciate a bit of help here, this is really simple

Please just listen to this recording of my original song, and pay attention to the vocals, I want you to simply tell me if you think they are good or not and what to improve. I still have a bit of time before I release this so I can actually change stuff! Please post your suggestions!

Also I am mainly referring to editing and mixing the vocals with this thread! Do they sound weird sometimes?

http://soundcloud.com/tmusician/song

(P.S. I can't change the instruments at all even though I know the tempo and everything is all screwed up because I didn't use metronomes back then XD)

Edit: Here's the final result, thanks guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA2Ibsouxik&list=UU87xjsmTG3ZAcoHZtI-OaFw&index=1&feature=plcp
Last edited by Tmusician at Jan 31, 2012,
I don't think u singed bad.. but maybe the vocals are a bit too high.
about mixing. i can't help you. xD..
Quote by Kaozz
I don't think u singed bad.. but maybe the vocals are a bit too high.
about mixing. i can't help you. xD..

Thank you very much I'll turn down the vocals a bit
try it. and if u haven't. try using a compressor. i don't know..some chorus or reverb in some cases.
Quote by Kaozz
try it. and if u haven't. try using a compressor. i don't know..some chorus or reverb in some cases.

Actually I did put compression and reverb but your comment got me to mess around with adding another light compressor and I think that is really working! Thanks a ton
Quote by Tmusician
Okay so now that I've messed around with it a bit, does it actually sound any better?

http://soundcloud.com/tmusician/song-update

I think my main problem is vocal clarity. Do you guys know what to do? Some parts sound different than other parts, even if I put the exact same effects on them...

Put a high pass filter on the vocals, cutting off the frequencies around 150 Hz. Add some presence as well for clarity. Part of the problem is the mix- it's too muddy. Take out some mids in the instruments to leave room for the vocals. The panning is a little weird to me. I would decrease the width, bring them in more toward the center.

I really like the energy, but all of the instruments have some major timing/tempo issues that keep them from meshing together and forming one cohesive work. Sorry if I'm being too harsh, it's just what I'm hearing.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
The second one sounds more coherent. "ofcoursenot" seems right about the instruments being slightly inconsistently timed but it's generally fine. I don't know what to say about your singing because i don't listen to that genre of music but it seems a decent fit for it.
Quote by OfCourseNot
Put a high pass filter on the vocals, cutting off the frequencies around 150 Hz. Add some presence as well for clarity. Part of the problem is the mix- it's too muddy. Take out some mids in the instruments to leave room for the vocals. The panning is a little weird to me. I would decrease the width, bring them in more toward the center.

I really like the energy, but all of the instruments have some major timing/tempo issues that keep them from meshing together and forming one cohesive work. Sorry if I'm being too harsh, it's just what I'm hearing.

Thank you very much. What seemed to make a big effect was taking out some of the mud of the instrumental! Also with panning the vocals I usually just do 20% left or right (which isn't much) except for the "screams" which were 45% but I like them to the side. :P

If they were still weird to you though that is important and I appreciate it; I will try to avoid over-panning in the future.

Also I am totally aware and annoyed by the tempo unstability as well, and even though I would LOVE to re-record it with a metronome, the instrumental track is untouchable because I did it a long time ago with my best friend before I moved away. So I'm living with it XD

You weren't harsh at all, perfect constructive criticism! Thanks a lot! And you seem to know a lot about mixing, do you record you own songs?
I'd say your main problem as mentioned earlier, to get a real powerful mix you should get the timing and tempo more together on each individual instrument, i know this is a punky song but it can all be brought together a little more, if you don't already, record each section individually if possible, drums > bass > guitars is how i like to do it.

also i feel the overheads are too loud in the mix and the kick and snare is too low, but that might be just my personal taste.

I'd bring the vocal down and double up some parts with some harmonies.

Make a new backing track too, get a hold of EZdrummer or something like that and remake the drums, they will be easier to mix and perfectly in time.

Nice song though, plenty of energy, and in this genre i feel you can be forgiven for a slightly sloppy mix so i wouldn't worry so much!
Thanks everybody, feel free to check out the final mix and I am totally open to more thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA2Ibsouxik&list=UU87xjsmTG3ZAcoHZtI-OaFw&index=1&feature=plcp

Let me just say again that I record with metronomes, but I didn't when I made this song and I can't change the instruments because they are "sentimental" (read my previous post). All songs from now on won't have tempo as an issue though
Quote by Tmusician
And you seem to know a lot about mixing, do you record you own songs?

Yeah, I've been recording stuff with a friend the past couple years. My first stuff was absolute garbage, I'm embarrassed to even think about it now. What helped was spending a summer break just doing research on the internet about recording, such as eq'ing, compression, mixing, mastering, all sorts of stuff. And of course, doing a lot of test mixes. It's a fun process.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals