ive finally decidied to fix one of my guitars, a schecter blackjack fr. what happened was i turned the output jack and it broke. so i ordered a soldering iron kit, and another jack.

my problem is that theirs only 1 wire on the output jack slot. its white, and when i open the back of the guitar, that white wire is covered in black coating, however, the part that shows through the hole is white.

in the videos i've watched on how to solder it, they show two wires, sometimes 3. mine only has 1. can somebody help me on how to solder this one wire to the jack? thank you
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 29, 2012,
There are pickups that appear to have one wire. Under the insulation there is a braided shield, this is the ground, inside that shield is a smaller wire. So solder the braided shield to the ground of the output jack and the other wire to the the hot lug.
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Quote by scott john
There are pickups that appear to have one wire. Under the insulation there is a braided shield, this is the ground, inside that shield is a smaller wire. So solder the braided shield to the ground of the output jack and the other wire to the the hot lug.

This. It's probably a shielded wire, so you'll have a bare wire that's wrapped around a covered wire in the center (your white wire). The bare wire is your ground. To solder it back, twist up the bare wire into a single strand and solder that to your ground, white obviously goes to the tip.

Just as an aside incase you ever go further into audio wiring. The jack in your guitar is a mono jack (you'll also see it as TS jack, TS stands for Tip/Sleeve). Tip is your positive, and the sleeve is the negative, or ground connection. You also have stereo jacks which are TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve).