I was advised to remove some of the scrathes on my guitar using wire wool; and now it has left a noticable lack of gloss in the area.

Is there anything I cana do to rectify this?

Thanks
Who told you that?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Who told you that?

A friend of mine who is an experienced guitarist. He obviously didn't know what he was talking about, and I was a bit stupid to trust him.
well no shit

the scratches were in the gloss, and the wire wool removed the rest of the gloss

the scratches are gone, aren't they?
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Yeah he is a massive penis for telling you that.

Well there isnt much you can do to be fair mate.

Next time, trying using some T Cut and dont listen to your "mate"

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by mike_oxbig
well no shit

the scratches were in the gloss, and the wire wool removed the rest of the gloss

the scratches are gone, aren't they?

Yes, they are; but the missing gloss is almost as bad, as it looks kinda strange compared to the rest of the guitar.
you can probably buff it back to a shine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by cola4369
Yes, they are; but the missing gloss is almost as bad, as it looks kinda strange compared to the rest of the guitar.

hate to be the bearer of bad news but you have 3 shitty choices

1) do the same on the rest of the guitar
2) spray it with a very VERY light coat of clearcoat, but it's still gonna look strange
3) cover the area with a sticker.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I'm not a luthier, but I believe there are guitar places that sell buffing compounds. Check out Stew Mac.
if it's down to the wood, you might have to just refinish it. your friend is an utter idiot.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
your friend is an utter idiot.

quoted for truth, but TS is kinda dumb for not seeing this coming

hopefully he doesn't ask his friend for advice on getting rid of a headache
Quote by stepchildusmc
I just hope your friend is not a doctor. Just saying.

Like... ''He haves a nail in the hand? lets remove the arm!''

Tehe same type of guy that kills a fly with a flamethrower.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Jan 29, 2012,
If your guitar has a thick poly finish (most guitars under a grand), you can probably get the shine back with a little buffing. If it has a thinner poly finish (more expensive guitars) you'll need to be careful not to just rub the finish down even more and you may be better off refinishing it. If it's a nitro finish (pretty much only Gibsons) you've pretty much got to refinish it, though luckily refinishing a patch on a nitro finish is a lot easier than refinishing poly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.