I've had this amp head for over a year and was loving it. But now it seems way too digitalized for me. I want to get a nice heavy crunchy sound like the one you can get from a solid state like Pantera. But it seems impossible with this head. Any suggestions on settings or pedals that i should buy to achieve this sound?
no pedals or or settings are going to make it sound non-digital, as the sound you're going for will most likely be unattainable without a tube amp. id recommend selling that lame head and buying a used tube head.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
no pedals or or settings are going to make it sound non-digital, as the sound you're going for will most likely be unattainable without a tube amp. id recommend selling that lame head and buying a used tube head.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that Dimebag used solid state Randalls for the majority of his time in Pantera. Nice try, tube snob.
Quote by Acϵ♠

Pantera was recorded with randall SS amps. It wasnt until later that Dime paired with Krank to make the Krankinstein amp

TS what is your ch volume at, not the master? I have a SV HD100 and have found that it sounds better with the ch vol turned down and the master turned up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Pantera was recorded with randall SS amps. It wasnt until later that Dime paired with Krank to make the Krankinstein amp

TS what is your ch volume at, not the master? I have a SV HD100 and have found that it sounds better with the ch vol turned down and the master turned up.

I usually set the channel volume fairly low so the the master is about a 5 when im playing.
Quote by Acϵ♠

The Spider Valve IS a tube head. It's just a modelling tube head.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Line 6, making all guitars sound same at high gain since 1996.

Btw, use send-reutrn to add any pedal you like, including EQ, so that you will use amp only for it's speaker.
Last edited by cemges at Jan 29, 2012,
Quote by kaosxrocker
The Spider Valve IS a tube head. It's just a modelling tube head.

actualy it is a hybrid, it has a DSP input that then goes to tubes. the 12ax7s are for powering the DSP and one is the PI for the powe section.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Judging by these responses im probably going to end up selling the head. I'm going to keep the cab though. What do you guys think of marshall?
Quote by bcolville
Judging by these responses im probably going to end up selling the head. I'm going to keep the cab though. What do you guys think of marshall?

I like marshall, but I have yet to find one that I sound good through besides the JMP.

Ever thought about Splawn amps? They do Marshall beter than Marshall can plus much more.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hmm, JCM 800 is pretty nice. But well, were they full valve or full tube? Not sure. Btw lower end ones are hybrid, using transistor, pretty shitty, but can be nice with reverb. Actually their reverb is a 10/10 quality.
Splawn Quick Rod/Nitro>Laney GH 50/100>JCM 800 if you want good marshall tone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by stoic
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that Dimebag used solid state Randalls for the majority of his time in Pantera. Nice try, tube snob.

Im aware of that. They are very expensive amplifiers, which is why i didnt mention them. By the way, dick muncher, im the furthest thing from a tube snob. It makes no difference to me if it's SS or tube as long as it sounds good. Nice try, smart aleck.

One amp i can recommend is the Blackstar HT5 head. Plenty of gain, plenty of power, plenty of volume, and sounds absolutely killer for a lot less than a marshall (which is the single most overrate guitar-related brand of all time).
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
One amp i can recommend is the Blackstar HT5 head. Plenty of gain, plenty of power, plenty of volume, and sounds absolutely killer for a lot less than a marshall (which is the single most overrate guitar-related brand of all time).

I took a look at the ht5 and it seems like really good quality for the price. I'm going to seriously consider this one. Another one i took a look at was the Bugera 6262. Any thoughts on which is better?
Actually, the Spider Valve is a true valve amp in that both the pre amp and power amp are valve and the digital modelling works more like an EQ, whereas a hybrid amp is usually a solid state pre amp and a valve power amp. But that's beside the point.

Anyhoo, a hybrid amp is capable of the sort of tone you're after. The trick with this sort of amp is to pick the amp model wisely and don't try to set the EQ as you would with a wholly valve or solid state amp. You need to dial in more mids and treble than you would with a valve amp but less treble and mids than you would with a solid state.

I'm more familiar with the Spider Valve Mk2, but the first version has many of the same sounds so this should work out for you: try the blue light version of the 'Metal' channel, set the mid control to just past halfway, the treble to taste and don't put the gain control quite as high as you think you need to. That should give you a little more solid state bite without completely losing the ''natural'' overtones of the valve amp.

Quote by bcolville
I want to get a nice heavy crunchy sound like the one you can get from a solid state
Quote by Acϵ♠
the sound you're going for will most likely be unattainable without a tube amp.

Lolwut?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.