Ok so I love pop-punk from old(the kinks) to new(blink 182) but I cant write anything, well actually tell a lie I can write I just want to be more than just barre and power chords all the time can someone help
Have a listen to some post-hardcore....
A fair few pop-punk bands have had post hardcore roots

e.g. You me at Six, forever the sickest kids

They mix it up, without just sticking with power chords
Quote by Highelf04
Have a listen to some post-hardcore....
A fair few pop-punk bands have had post hardcore roots

e.g. You me at Six, forever the sickest kids

They mix it up, without just sticking with power chords

Thanks that helped although I don't count YM@6 punk
It really comes with time! I attempted to start writing in the same style as you, pop punk. Eventually, after about two years writing several (terrible in my opinion) songs trying to cram myself into a genre, I began just expressing myself and the end result was the album in my sig. I would reccomend just writing lyrics and melodies, learn as many chords as you can and when you're noodling around on your guitar, try to pick out melodies that you like and use them in your songs. Another tip, in my experience, when you have a good solid rythym and melody, good lyrics will follow. When you're writing a song and it feels like lyrics are just popping into your head, you know you're on the right track. Just have fun and express yourself, best of luck and I'd be happy to check out any lyrics you come up with and give you advice! Lemme know!