Page 1 of 2
A career where you made good money (65 000 -75 000) and good job security but one that was not exactly something you 'loved doing' and it took considerable time away from leisure activties.

Or a job (such as playing guitar) that you absolutely loved and were very passionate about but where money was difficult to come by and making 30 000 a year was the goal.

Interested in opinions (especially people who work or play guitar for a living)...if you dont mind, share where you work or what you study as well!
I'm going to become a part-time carpenter/Messiah. It's all planned out.

Pay isn't very good, but the benefits are fantastic!

Quote by Trowzaa
£30k a year? That's more than enough...

Also, kind of this.

And to be more OT: I love music. I'm a music major, planning to go into music business later on. I know that I will enjoy it, but the pay varies greatly. Unless you're in some organization, you won't have anything guaranteed (like a salary).
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Jan 29, 2012,
£30k a year? That's more than enough...
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to become a part-time carpenter/Messiah. It's all planned out.

Pay isn't very good, but the benefits are fantastic!

lol erm that doesnt exactly answer the question but I wish you the best on the quest.
I went to college to study history. I did it because I loved it.

Now I have a crappy job and wish I would have done something that would help me make a decent living.

£30k a year is a lot.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
First one.
Earn loads, spend on expensive home studio, music as semi-pro hobby, release own albums on pay-what-you-want sites.
I am talking Canadian/American dollars to be clear and ok maybe more realistically

$ 20 000 - 25 000
Yeah 30000 Bananas a year sounds awesome.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
I know what you're saying, would you rather have a well paid job that you don't like or a shit paid job that you love.

Honestly, the well paid job, they say money can't buy you happiness, it can buy the things that make you happy though.

I would rather have a career wherein I am very, very good at what I do and I make good money doing it.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Or you could have a job that you despise that you earn next to nothing from?

Money can buy you happiness, when has anyone ever won the lottery and gone 'ah for **** sake .. not again!'

I'd say it can buy you happiness, but not fulfillment .. i'd go with the second option anyway.
Blue Jays, Seahawks, Raptors, Habs, Peterborough United FC, Gold Coast Suns.
I've got a job interview at a Co-op tomorrow, I'll be working with my nan. She's adorable. I hope that'll even out the tediousness.

"'Money can't buy happiness.' Yeah, but it can buy a waverunner." - Daniel Tosh

I'd rather have a decent paying career job that wasn't music, and do music on the side. It's said that you shouldn't do what you love for a living because then it becomes a job and you don't love it anymore.
lol @ the brits in here

i made around $50k in 2011 doing something i hated, which is not bad for 22 years old. But i hated it, so im going back to school in september to pursue music and live the dream of playing music and making shit money. i cant wait!
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I made a little over 60K last year, unfortunately that was working in a mine.

I'd take 30K to play guitar for a living, sure.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by daytripper75
I went to college to study history. I did it because I loved it.

Now I have a crappy job and wish I would have done something that would help me make a decent living.

we got scammed, man! we shouldve gone to trade school!
#DTWD
I'd rather do something I love and make enough to get by than do something that doesn't interest me and be loaded.
30k is ten times what I made this past year. I would be thrilled to earn that much doing something I loved.
Quote by Twist of fate
I believe in high paying jobs that you love, I will have one

+1

I would love to work in a music or movie studio at least once in my life time. If that makes me 30K then I will be more than happy.
Quote by Acϵ♠
lol @ the brits in here

i made around $50k in 2011 doing something i hated, which is not bad for 22 years old. But i hated it, so im going back to school in september to pursue music and live the dream of playing music and making shit money. i cant wait!

Can't tell if serious.

And lets say the job isnt a mine or something dangerous or really terrible...just something that was kinda dull...but still a profession.
Quote by Acϵ♠
lol @ the brits in here

lol at your face. Bitch.

depends if I have kids
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by whoomit
Or you could have a job that you despise that you earn next to nothing from?

Personal pipe-dreams aside, that is exactly how working as a legal clerk for a fat, obnoxious judge is.

Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

30k USD is what a lot of people in the US make. Depending on how many dependents live in the household, the poverty line is around 13k a year. Of course, if you have more dependents, that floor is raised.

That being said, though, anything under 270k is considered middle-class, which is astounding to me. 270k is quite a difference from 13k. I wouldn't be surprised if I've ever not middle class

But my mom, sister and I have survived well so far from what she makes alone. If I ever make 100k a year, I'll be a pretty happy guy.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by dvm25
Can't tell if serious.

And lets say the job isnt a mine or something dangerous or really terrible...just something that was kinda dull...but still a profession.

not serious about what? im totally serious lol
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by MakinLattes
30k is ten times what I made this past year. I would be thrilled to earn that much doing something I loved.

I was about to ask where you went, haven't seen you in a while...

or maybe I wasn't going to the right threads
Quote by Acϵ♠
not serious about what? im totally serious lol

I have thoughts of doing the same thing...currently in grad school and it leads to a good job and whatnot but I am literally so bored of life...and I am only 22. Figuring out what you want to do is tough stuff!
The thing is i dont need a big house or all the nicest stuff in the world. I have a nice car, decent gear and im happy with that. $30k a year is plenty for me to live off of.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by VillainousLatin
I was about to ask where you went, haven't seen you in a while...

or maybe I wasn't going to the right threads

School, starting a new job and being sick tend to take up time.
Quote by MakinLattes
School, starting a new job and being sick tend to take up time.

oh ok, I guess I wouldn't know since I lack a job

OT: I am studying engineering, but since I kinda like I'll say both.
Right now I'd go for security.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'd g for what I love over how much money I want. I'd rather make 20K-25K a year playin my saxophone in some small unknown pub than to work in a gray windowless building making 6 figures.

Know what I'm saying?
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
I made 4 grand last year doing shit work that was pretty boring. It's time well spent though, I actually enjoyed the 55 hours a week more than whatever I'm doing with my life right now... which is nothing

╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Page 1 of 2