Did a little searching for this, didn't find much.

Yes, that is a large body of text. I'm sorry.

So a student at school passed away in a 4-wheeler accident a couple of years ago, and we have a Duct Tape day in honor of him during spirit week at school. I know he liked music and guitars and stuff, so I saran wrapped my guitar and duct taped it (Bronze Warlock. You can probably tell already I don't worry about looks on it that much, seeing as I put duct tape on it.). This worked great the first year, the saran wrap completely protected the guitar and no residue was left anywhere on the body. However, this year, I used the same duct tape from before (because a lot of people signed it) and put some fresh tape on it to keep it on. Personally, I think it looked pretty cool, and think they should have a silver/gray Warlock anyway, but I went ahead and took it all off. Apparently, where I added new tape (on the edges and corners), that tape stuck to the paint and left a sticky residue behind. I need a way to remove this residue without severely damaging the finish. I have plenty of scratches on this guitar anyway, so it's not too big of a problem, but this residue is sticky and annoying. I've heard I could use lighter fluid, isopropyl alcohol, and maybe even WD-40, but I thought it would be best to ask around here before I did anything. I'd like to avoid using specific things like adhesive removers, simply because they would be difficult to find in the small town I live in, I'm hoping I can fix this with things around the house.

TL;DR: I put duct tape on my guitar, it left a residue and I want it off. Any suggestions?
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
sometimes you can just warm the area with a hair drier, and it'll roll off.
a damp rag will help.

if it's too hard, then try a polish or other home product.
just try not to use anything with silicone on the guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I'd try some nailpolish remover.
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
rubbing alcohol
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Your guitar has a poly finish, so you're in luck. Lighter fluid will clear that up. Depending on how much gunk is on there (and how much it's hardened and stuck on), either put a little lighter fluid on a clean cotton rag and rub the residue off with a light, circular motion, or drop a little fluid on and give it thirty seconds to soften up, then again use a circular motion.

Don't scrub at it. Don't use WD40 (more likely to smear than actually remove) or nail varnish remover (if you're not careful or use a brand that is too strong it can start to damage the finish).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I went ahead with the nail polish remover. It worked great, I had to be very liberal with it, but it worked really good and took it all off. Had I read MrFlibble's post I probably would have went with lighter fluid first, but too late for that. It doesn't seem to be damaged at all, so that's good. Thanks for all the help everybody.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
lighter fluid works best. nail polish remover is acetone and will strip more delicate finishes like nitro. of course it doesn't sound like you have a nitro finished guitar so it looks like it worked fine.
Did the person who died like Duct Tape?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Jabels225
Goo Gone

this. or goof off. if you do it quickly (dont let a cleaner sit on the finish), you can even use it to remove crap from a nitro finish
gasoline works
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Did the person who died like Duct Tape?

Yes, actually. He was actually the one that started it, but it was really only going to be a one year thing. After his accident, it's a permanent deal now. People go all out for it too. It's common to see full outfits of pure duct tape, all kinds of accessories, my guitar, and last year someone made a guitar out of duct tape. It's a lot of fun really, amplified by the fact that we're in the South, where duct tape reigns king.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156