hi,
i'm just wondering, does the neck radius (e.g. 9.5") apply the the width or length of the neck? because of the term "radius" id assume its about the width but i dont understaind how they measure it cos measuring around the whole width of the neck in a circle still wont give 9.5" let alone the whole diameter of 19".

could someone please explain?

thanks
Radius is the lateral curvature of the fretboard. Look down your neck from the headstock or look up at the headstock from the bridge. You will notice that the fretboard is curved. If your guitar has a 9.5" radius, it might be a little harder to see but it's extremely noticeable on my guitar, which has an admittedly very small 7.5" radius.

It has nothing to do with the width or length of the neck.

edit: Ie. If you drew a circle with a radius of 9.5" and the curvature of that circle's circumference will be equal to the curvature of your fretboard.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 29, 2012,
+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by al112987
Radius is the lateral curvature of the fretboard. Look down your neck from the headstock or look up at the headstock from the bridge. You will notice that the fretboard is curved. If your guitar has a 9.5" radius, it might be a little harder to see but it's extremely noticeable on my guitar, which has an admittedly very small 7.5" radius.

It has nothing to do with the width or length of the neck.

edit: Ie. If you drew a circle with a radius of 9.5" and the curvature of that circle's circumference will be equal to the curvature of your fretboard.

thanks! makes lots more sense now.
Quote by al112987

It's actually a good idea to do this in practice as that piece of card can be quite handy when setting your action.