I recently got the Ibanez XP300FX and its great except for the infs 3&4 pickups, they dont sound good(not a surprize)..so i've been thinking about geting a new set of pups and im really interested in EMG ALX Alexi Laiho HZ Humbucker/ABQ the and a friend suggested that i get a Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader along with it for the neck position.

(i mostly play parkway drive, as i lay dying, children of bodom...etc)

So is this blend possible? if so what do u think of it?? :O

thnx in advance !!
i think that's a terrible blend. passive emgs aren't great (the active ones are the ones you want, generally), and the invader is one of the worst duncans i've tried that only really works in very specific circumstances.

what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Imo when it comes to passive pickups you can't beat Dimarzios. But like DaveMC Im interested in what amp you're playing through.
In addition to my previous post. If you were planning on replacing the pickups, it may have been a good idea to save an extra $150 or so and get the XPT700 which come stock with Dimarzio D activators and is a better guitar overall.
Quote by Megalomaniac46
Imo when it comes to passive pickups you can't beat Dimarzios.

BKP, TDM, Fralin, Kent Armstong, Rock Monkey, Suhr, Lollar, Wolfetone, Sheptone, and just about a bajillion others would like a word with you.
Just use an Invader set, you will be better off with them than passive EMG:s.
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Quote by Ghold125
So what is so bad about the infs that you have now?

Dude the infs suck....they can't be compared in anyway to EMGs.
Quote by Steve 'O

To EMG passives they can
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Quote by Steve 'O

Of course they can, they're both pickups after all. What don't you like that the EMG's have, btw what EMG's are we talking about here? The Alexi model is completely different EMG pickup then their active 81/85/60 pickups. It's just a slightly tweaked version of their passive pup, I think its the H4.
Quote by Seref
BKP, TDM, Fralin, Kent Armstong, Rock Monkey, Suhr, Lollar, Wolfetone, Sheptone, and just about a bajillion others would like a word with you.

For the price range, well go for Dimarzio.
Quote by Megalomaniac46
In addition to my previous post. If you were planning on replacing the pickups, it may have been a good idea to save an extra $150 or so and get the XPT700 which come stock with Dimarzio D activators and is a better guitar overall.

It would have cost me an extra 350$ to get the XPT700... I'm gonna get a schecter hellraiser C-1 later but now I really need new pickups.
I play through a Laney LX12...dude dnt tell me that I should get another one cause I already knw that...
What set do you suggest?
really should get an amp first

though for that heavier type of stuff active emgs might actually work ok

but as i said, amp first
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ghold125
Of course they can, they're both pickups after all. What don't you like that the EMG's have, btw what EMG's are we talking about here? The Alexi model is completely different EMG pickup then their active 81/85/60 pickups. It's just a slightly tweaked version of their passive pup, I think its the H4.

the alexi model has many positive reviews :O

And what do u seggest?
Quote by Steve 'O
the alexi model has many positive reviews :O

so does the marshall mg
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
so does the marshall mg

+1
Seriously, the pickups won't affect your tone much if your amplifier isn't good. Granted, if that is only your practice amplifier and you've got a better one for say, band rehearsals, you could upgrade pups then.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
+1
Seriously, the pickups won't affect your tone much if your amplifier isn't good. Granted, if that is only your practice amplifier and you've got a better one for say, band rehearsals, you could upgrade pups then.

So you're saying I should focus on a good amp before thinking of upgrading my pups. Fine.
What good amp do you suggest (range 150-250 $$) ?
And I'm interested in Peavy amps...are you familiar with their models?
Quote by Steve 'O
So you're saying I should focus on a good amp before thinking of upgrading my pups. Fine.
What good amp do you suggest (range 150-250 $$) ?
And I'm interested in Peavy amps...are you familiar with their models?

You could get any used peavy or crate 2x12 combo in that price range and it would be worlds better than that little amp. Check your local craigslist. And post up what you find. You should get a good cross section of responses to make a good descision.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by danvwman
You could get any used peavy or crate 2x12 combo in that price range and it would be worlds better than that little amp. Check your local craigslist. And post up what you find. You should get a good cross section of responses to make a good descision.

locally I can only find laney and Marshall and some other brands but I'm quite sure that we have neither peavy nor crate ( Lebanon's a small country :P) even if I find one of them here...prices would be much more than those in the US...that's why I'm considering buying whatever I want online from musician's friend or any other trustworthy music store... Anw I'll post as soon as I can