Hi,
If I bought a 3-way on/off/on toggle switch like this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/goeldo_el012_mini_switch.htm

How would I wire it as an on/off/on-style killswitch?

Thanks,
Rob
...Free from it all...
...Breathe in the darkest fall...

...We laugh and cry though a brothers eyes for now...

I'm cool because I have lyrics in my sig.

You can call me Rob.
Remove the shield from the input jack, then connect the switch in series with the ground wire (i.e., ground to switch OFF, then switch ON to jack terminal). Conversely, if you don't want to mess with your guitar's jack, you can wire it similarly with an external 1/4" cable socket then use a short cable to connect the socket to your guitar input jack, though this is rather redundant and less desirable if you want a permanent, strategically/ergonomically placed killswitch. Good luck!

EDIT: I didnt notice the three way part initially! It should be analogous, wiring the jack terminal in parallel/split to the two ONs
I hate blink
Last edited by AltnRockFan at Jan 29, 2012,
Thanks
So which wires would I connect to the actual switch? Sorry, I'm a wiring noob
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
Also note that it doesn't matter which of the two pins on the kill switch you wire to at a given position; thus, looking at the bottom of the kill switch:
ON1 OFF ON2
ON1 OFF ON2

Good luck!
I hate blink
that way'll work, but it'll be kind of noisy..

it's really best to make a killswitch short the hot and ground, rather than just disconnect one of the contacts..that leaves the hot floating and prone to hum and buzz

instead of making a killswitch kill the signal in the 'off' position, it's best to make the 'on' position the kill position. 'on' just means the contacts of the switch are connected, not that it needs to be the 'sound on' position

just throwing that out there
Actually yes I agree that is a better way to do it! In that case, using the diagram, dettach both leads from the guitar jack, then connect/solder the hot lead to both "on" positions of the kill switch (and then with a pair of separate spare wires back from the kill switch to the guitar jack), and then ground to the "off" (and similarly back to the jack using a spare wire). Now, when you switch the killswitch to either "on" position of the killswitch, the hot wire will connect directly to the ground thereby sending a 0V signal (i.e., no sound) from the guitar, and when in the "off" position, the hot will be isolated from ground and the guitar will send the normal audio signal when playing. Great suggestion james4!
Attachments:
killswitch_wiring4.GIF
I hate blink
Last edited by AltnRockFan at Jan 29, 2012,
Thanks guys, the visual was just what I needed
So to make sure I've got this right, the middle position is on now?
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.
That's correct! If you prefer on/off/on rather than off/on/off, you can use the configuration in the first diagram, though there may be potential humming and other electrical interference (not sure how much if any, however, without actually trying it). If you choose to do the former (on/off/on), also note that you can wire the two ONs of the killswitch together with a short wire (as in the second off/on/off diagram in red) rather than using two long wires as shown in blue in the first diagram (this occurred to me when I made the second diagram and realized using two long leads was unnecessary ).

EDIT: I made the appropriate change in the first diagram
I hate blink
Last edited by AltnRockFan at Jan 30, 2012,
Thanks
...Free from it all...

You can call me Rob.