I need a distortion pedal that does it all.... (I know, big list) I'm in a Blues/Rock/Classic Rock band. I'm playing an Epi Les Paul through a Peavey Windsor and start out with the cleanest sound I can get (single channel so using the amp distortion isn't possible) I've got an MXR Classic OD to use for blues/rock (Gwyn Ashton, Bonamassa etc...) Now I need a pedal that will do AC/DC, Ratt, etc... I don't have to Imitate their sound, just want the distortion level

(I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but...) I've got a Boss Metal zone (ok let me have it...) that provides enough distortion with the distortion knob at 9 O'Clock, but as we all know the tone leaves a bit to be desired. I adjust the distortion level by turning up or down my volume control on my guitar... SO.. I need a decent distortion pedal that will do it all...

Looking for opinions because I don't have time to get to a Guitar center and play through them all...

Help me out UG
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Ever tried the Boss DS-1?I have one on my board and it gives the AC/DC and 80's rock distortion tones.
dude you have a windsor

use your guitar volume for cleans. put a treble bleed cap in there if necessary.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am thinking of getting the Ampkit+ App for the IPhone. I plan on getting a marshall cabinet and head along with it. Currently i use a peavey vypyr75 watt but it clips at its louder volumes and is unreliable at gigs. The reason i plan on using Ampkit is because it has loads of effects and pedals (peavey). And i rather not spend hundreds of dollars on multiple pedals. If anyone could help me im wondering if the quality of playing through my ipod to the amp will be good? Thanks \m/(^o^)\m/ btw i mainly play metal
Quote by Dave_Mc
dude you have a windsor

use your guitar volume for cleans. put a treble bleed cap in there if necessary.

I tried that, but the cleans didn't get clean enough... If I had more room on stage I'd use my Twin Reverb for cleans, then let the Windsor eat... but right now the Windsor is more versitile for my tastes..

Quote by DeadlySurfer
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde perhaps?

Talk to me about this one...

Looks like 2 distortion pedals in one??? sounds like exactly what I'm looking for...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
OP, IMO the best way is to just set your amp to the most distortion you need, and use your guitars volume control. However if you insist on a pedal, your looking for a Tubescreamer, though a Digitech Bad Monkey will also do the job. Any kind of Tubescreamer pedal is what you need.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Papabear505
I tried that, but the cleans didn't get clean enough... If I had more room on stage I'd use my Twin Reverb for cleans, then let the Windsor eat... but right now the Windsor is more versitile for my tastes..

can't you run like a light crunch on the windsor, roll back for cleans, and kick in the boost for heavier stuff? then maybe hit it with an od for even heavier stuff?

but i mean you know better than me. fwiw i haven't tried the j&h, but as far as i'm aware it's a lightly modded tubescreamer combined with a lightly modded marshall shredmaster. if you already have an mxr classic od the tubescreamer side might be more or less redundant.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
can't you run like a light crunch on the windsor, roll back for cleans, and kick in the boost for heavier stuff? then maybe hit it with an od for even heavier stuff?

That's pretty much what I do, except the boost doesn't really boost distortion so much as it boosts mids and volume quite a bit...

Had a Tube Screamer TS9... Not too bad, but I like the MXR classic OD Tone better. and the TS9 tended to feed back, especially on the single coil or Semi Hollow guitars, especially in the small venues that we play...

The Ipad/phone solution doesn't really work for me on stage... Practice Maybe

Quote by Dave_Mc
fwiw i haven't tried the j&h, but as far as i'm aware it's a lightly modded tubescreamer combined with a lightly modded marshall shredmaster. if you already have an mxr classic od the tubescreamer side might be more or less redundant.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
MXR 78 Custom Badass Distortion. Done.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Wampler plextortion. Brian makes some of the best distortions around.
EBMM Axis Black Cherry Burst
El Capistan
'74 Phase 90 re-issue
Boss BF-2
Hall of Fame Reverb
50 W 5150 III
Get a used POD HD300.

Route it so that you can use it's cleans while disabling your Windsor's preamp. Have a patch for unleashing the Windsor in balls out crunch (what the amp is built for), and then add in another crunch that combines that with something else for anything "more" you need.

Don't waste the Windsor on cleans. You really might as well just sell the amp and get something more suited to what you actually need than do that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You might wanna check out Blackstar's pedals. They have a two in one pedal like the J&H, but they make tube pedals. I haven't used one myself, but I was looking into one for quite a while and they sound great in clips. Another great option is the DigiTech Hardwire series. They have a Tube Distortion pedal that sounds like what you want. Pair it with you MXR and you should be set for any tone you could want with a Windsor.

EDIT: Since you like your MXR OD, you should also check out the MXR Zakk Wylde OD. He uses his to boost his JCM800, and iirc, the Windsor is basically a JCM800 clone.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Jan 29, 2012,
Quote by Papabear505
That's pretty much what I do, except the boost doesn't really boost distortion so much as it boosts mids and volume quite a bit...

Had a Tube Screamer TS9... Not too bad, but I like the MXR classic OD Tone better. and the TS9 tended to feed back, especially on the single coil or Semi Hollow guitars, especially in the small venues that we play...

ah ok

yeah i mean if you prefer teh mxr that's fine. that's what i was saying, you already have an od.

Quote by Offworld92
Get a used POD HD300.

Route it so that you can use it's cleans while disabling your Windsor's preamp. Have a patch for unleashing the Windsor in balls out crunch (what the amp is built for), and then add in another crunch that combines that with something else for anything "more" you need.

Don't waste the Windsor on cleans. You really might as well just sell the amp and get something more suited to what you actually need than do that.

assuming that works (not saying it won't, just i honestly have no idea ) that's a pretty good idea
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
Get a used POD HD300.

Ok, you may have to draw diagrams or something for this one... Sounds interesting, but not sure how to go about it..

Quote by Offworld92

Well, when I say Clean.. It's always a bit "Crunchy" which is cool it's not Fender Clean, but as I said.. I've got a Twin which was too clean for what I am doing so the OD pedal stayed on pretty much all the time... Happy with the Windsor's tone and level of Clean... I am thinking of going after a Valve King because of the channel switching capability, but I still got Gigs to play, and it's cheaper now to get a dist pedal than a new amp...

Thanks UG for the suggestions... I'm gonna take a list to G. C. and play through a few..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I can't really draw anything up, the pedal is totally digital. But basically, within the pedal, the pedal can "see" your amp, when it's hooked up to the input and the FX loop, and it "knows" where your amp is, so you can program FX around and within it.

For example, you can set up an amp model or an effect to go directly to the FX loop, and disable everything else, so that you'll only get that model/effect, and nothing else (not even the preamp (basically what the amp sounds like with no fx at all)).

Or you could set it up ordinarily, so that your amp just "sees" the FX, and treats them as if they were single stomboxes in front or in the loop. It's really a pedal too versatile to simply describe. But it can basically do anything you can think of.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I can't really draw anything up, the pedal is totally digital. But basically, within the pedal, the pedal can "see" your amp, when it's hooked up to the input and the FX loop, and it "knows" where your amp is, so you can program FX around and within it.

For example, you can set up an amp model or an effect to go directly to the FX loop, and disable everything else, so that you'll only get that model/effect, and nothing else (not even the preamp (basically what the amp sounds like with no fx at all)).

Or you could set it up ordinarily, so that your amp just "sees" the FX, and treats them as if they were single stomboxes in front or in the loop. It's really a pedal too versatile to simply describe. But it can basically do anything you can think of.

I'm going to look into that...

Thanks
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Yeah, I've heard of doing that. A few guys that play in a local cover band all run multi-fx boards into the fx loop and just bypass the preamp of their amps and use the power amp. Sounds pretty good, but you can still hear the digital elements of the distortion. If you're ok with that, that's a good route to go for versatility, but I wouldn't ever upgrade your amp after that because you would be wasting money if you plan on doing the same thing with it. Most of the distortion character would be coming from the fx unit, so changing amps would probably have very little effect on your tone unless you were switching to an amp that is biased for different power tubes, but then you could probably just re-bias your amp, although idk if the Windsor can do that or not.
Well, I'd say we're a cover band that likes to "Own" what we're playing.. We make it a point to not Imitate the songs that we play... so for example, we play "Sin City" AC/DC ish. I'm thinking that I don't need an Amp emulator, although I'm intrigued about the setup...

I enjoy having my own sound and I like the Windsor with the settings that I'm using... Just want to replace the Metal Zone with a better sounding Pedal that gives me the same level of distortion I'm looking for...

I didn't do a good job of describing what I needed I guess..

Gonna try to get to GC and give the "Jeckal Hyde" a try and a few others

Thanks for the Input guys.. It is appreciated, and I learn something every time...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
Well, I'd say we're a cover band that likes to "Own" what we're playing.. We make it a point to not Imitate the songs that we play... so for example, we play "Sin City" AC/DC ish. I'm thinking that I don't need an Amp emulator, although I'm intrigued about the setup...

I enjoy having my own sound and I like the Windsor with the settings that I'm using... Just want to replace the Metal Zone with a better sounding Pedal that gives me the same level of distortion I'm looking for...

I didn't do a good job of describing what I needed I guess..

Gonna try to get to GC and give the "Jeckal Hyde" a try and a few others

Thanks for the Input guys.. It is appreciated, and I learn something every time...

I'm in the same boat as the other person thhat siad the J&K will be pointless. The one OD on there will basically be the same as your MXR, so you're either paying for a pedal you don't need or getting halfassed on the pedal you do need. If I were you, I would stick to the idea of one new pedal instead of a two in one.
Grab a MI Audio Crunchbox or a Proco Rat (mod it) or a Fulltone OCD. There are tons of pedals that will do a heavier hard rock sound. Then stick with your MXR for overdrive.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100