I'm looking into getting a decent hard rock/metal guitar with active pickups to be a direct input recording workhorse. I've done some looking around and have decided on the Schecter Damien 6 Elite.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-SCE-DAMELT-LIST

Does anyone have any personal experience with this model? I really need someone to be brutally honest about the pros/cons of this guitar. This is the top of my price range, so tips about switching pickups and other mods that could be done at a later date would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I have played a Damien Schecter guitar. It has a great feeling, BUT the neck is quite thick. So you really need to try the guitar before you will buy it
why go for the Damien series if you don't like emg's?
Gear

-Schecter Tempest Custom
-Ibanez EW20WNE-NT
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Boss TU-3
-Boss NS-2
-ibanez PM7
I have a Damien 6 and honestly it's the only guitar I won't sell. I've had for 3 or 4 years now. I'm not sure what models the other guy played but the neck is thin on mine. More like an LTD or Ibanez neck but with a little more meat on it. Holds tuning well and I think with the active EMGs in the Elite model, you'd enjoy it. Only cons I've noticed are the volume and tone knobs come loose more often than they should, and the ground wire came disconnected from the input jack so now there's a buzz in the background. Simple things to fix, just more annoying than anything.
Quote by ronhoward
I have the lefty version of the Solo Elite and like it. The EMG's in it are so so. That's really my only complaint.

I have the lefty version of the Damien Elite FR and I'd have to go with this too(my Floyd's bar won't stay in place after only 8 months of playing too even though it's fully screwed-in, but that doesn't apply to the non-FR model and I like having my bar really close to the strings anyways, most people seem to like having it farther away). I'm not really an EMG person as is, but I found the 85 to be utterly useless in the neck position(I generally have a very trebly tone as is, but with the 85, everything sounded really mushed together), so I swapped their positions, and now the neck position's usable for me but the bridge is a little bassy. I'm gonna get some passives for it ASAP, but then, I don't really play much modern hi-gain stuff(as in, post-Pantera metal) so that's prolly why I don't like them.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
i dunno man, i think you're being shortchanged on the amount of abalone you're getting there
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all of the feedback everybody. Yeah, I don't know about the regular Damien, but the Damien Elite has a thin neck. Almost as thin as the neck on my current guitar.

Right Now I'm working with an Ibanez RG370DX. It has a Edge III FR trem(more trouble than it's worth), which is why I'm getting fixed bridge this time around. It has INF3 and INF4 passive pups(why I'm going for active EMGs), and a basswood body. The mahogany body of the Damien Elite appealed to me, as I've found that basswood=dull tone.

I don't get to "test drive" my axes before I commit to them. I'm disabled with severe epilepsy(3-5 a day), so I can't drive anywhere and have to do all of my shopping through the mail. So I'm just trying to get the fullest picture I can of this guitar before committing since that's A LOT of money for me.

It's not that I don't like EMGs, quite the opposite actually. However, I've been told that I may prefer BlackOuts(or other types of actives, etc) over EMGs. I left that option open in the original post in case anyone had any alternate pickup recommendations over the active 81/85 setup for a rock/metal guitar, and could tell me what advantages any particular active pickup might have over the installed EMGs.

i dunno man, i think you're being shortchanged on the amount of abalone you're getting there

it will turn you into a fretwanking jeff loomis wannabe

LOL. I've never really seen what's supposed to be so great about Loomis. Ok, yeah, he's incredibly skilled, but I've never heard anything he's played that sounded all that great. Impressive, but sterile with no feeling. Almost like listening to a machine play the guitar.

If I just pissed anyone off.....to each their own.
Quote by FuseUnison
The mahogany body of the Damien Elite appealed to me, as I've found that basswood=dull tone.

LOL. I've never really seen what's supposed to be so great about Loomis. Ok, yeah, he's incredibly skilled, but I've never heard anything he's played that sounded all that great. Impressive, but sterile with no feeling. Almost like listening to a machine play the guitar.

If I just pissed anyone off.....to each their own.

Haha I agree, Jeff Loomis is incredible but he does nothing for me really.

Quote by FuseUnison
The mahogany body of the Damien Elite appealed to me, as I've found that basswood=dull tone.

Not always. On lower end Ibanez then probably, since the wood will be of lower quality. I've played several Prestige RGs all made from basswood and they sounded pretty great.
If you live in the UK they are over priced wank.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I had a C-1 Hellraiser FR and it was an awesome awesome guitar. Now the last schecter I had was a hellraiser special solo 6 that was not so much. In the end I took it back and exchanged it because of the most obnoxiously loud and pervasive fret buzz that no amount of truss rod or bridge adjustments could get rid of. But the C-1 I definitely miss some days.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
I know that some schecters have coated necks, and some don't. Can anyone testify as to whether or not the Damien 6 Elite has a coated neck or not? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere online.
I have had 3 schecters A omen6.006 elite,c1 elite. This Damian elite is basicly a omen 6 made out of Mahogony and topped with maple. This body is gonna sound very close to a EPI or a Gibson but with a little less sustain because of the bolt on neck. Which for metal or thrash or anything with a lot of notes that is better....too much sustain let the notes mush together. It should sound very good with the EMGs. The neck should be thin and satin type finish, very nice, smooth not sticky, same neck as on my Omen but with sweet inlays.
As for EMGs the sound kinda thin too me I dont like them on my guitar that has a kahler. the tremlo sucks some tone and the EMGs make that obvious. But this guitar is a string thru...this should sound very good.

Issues with Schecters
1.Cheap pots
2.cheap jacks. always gets loose.

Otherwise some of the best built/playing guitars I have.

As far as actives Maybe EMGXs would be the only thing better.
What the hell!!!
Quote by Tom 1.0
If you live in the UK they are over priced wank.

That
and i own one
which was bought years ago
used

and there is no way in hell i'd pay £800-£900 for one.

In the usa i see no reason why not..
Quote by coolstoryangus
That
and i own one
used

Bummer for you guys
What the hell!!!
I have had 3 schecters A omen6.006 elite,c1 elite. This Damian elite is basicly a omen 6 made out of Mahogony and topped with maple. This body is gonna sound very close to a EPI or a Gibson but with a little less sustain because of the bolt on neck. Which for metal or thrash or anything with a lot of notes that is better....too much sustain let the notes mush together. It should sound very good with the EMGs. The neck should be thin and satin type finish, very nice, smooth not sticky, same neck as on my Omen but with sweet inlays. As for EMGs the sound kinda thin too me I dont like them on my guitar that has a kahler. the tremlo sucks some tone and the EMGs make that obvious. But this guitar is a string thru...this should sound very good. Issues with Schecters 1.Cheap pots 2.cheap jacks. always gets loose. Otherwise some of the best built/playing guitars I have. As far as actives Maybe EMGXs would be the only thing better.

Thanks SO much. VERY informative, I think you just cleared up every lingering question I had.

That and i own one which was bought years ago used and there is no way in hell i'd pay £800-£900 for one. In the usa i see no reason why not..

Holy Crap!!! I live in the U.S. so it'll only run me around $500. I think £900 would equate to somewhere around 3 times that price!!! I wouldn't pay that either, lol. I can understand some mark-up for selling over-seas, but JEEZUS.....

Anyway...

Thanks for all the help everyone. You've all been a great help!
Ya you can get a usa strat for the same price..
fwiw i really like my c1 elite.
Its an abalone filled pimpmachine but i do like it..
Think i bought it for £300 back in the day.. loved it in the shop had to have it.

Might have something to do with the bkp nailbombs though..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jan 29, 2012,
Quote by Trecion

Budget mostly. Plus it's hard to find lefty guitars to try out in shops, so I usually have to order them. I'm not saying the 81/85 setup is bad, but they weren't what I thought they would be.
Quote by coolstoryangus
That
and i own one
used

yeah pretty much
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm gunna be an asshole but it seems to me its just a cheaper alternative to a hellraiser. Find a hellraiser used i got mine for $500 second hand at a shop in mint condition. It will have a better construction.

and yea i agree with the guy that says the emg 85 is mehhhhhhh, i want to put a emg 60 in the neck.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Jan 30, 2012,
Those stock pickups are pretty lousy. You'll probably like them at first, but as time goes on, i think you'll start to see how sterile and soulless they are. The necks are pretty good, the sustain is good enough, i personally am not the biggest fan of their scale, i like a sub-25" scale but you may love it.

Basically, through owning a Schecter, i can say that they are neither good or bad values. They are what they are for the price you get em at. If it's priced at $500, it's going to feel like a $500 guitar, and not feel like it's this incredible bargain or an incredible ripoff. For each one in their price ranges they're very average guitars.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
Those stock pickups are pretty lousy. You'll probably like them at first, but as time goes on, i think you'll start to see how sterile and soulless they are.

I agreed with everything else you put here but this part. Not to start an EMG debate, but it also depends on his amplifier and what styes he plays. Personally I love my EMG's in my PRS, but people's opinions differ.

TS, if you can TRY the guitar first, especially through your amplifier, that's the best bet.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie