So I just got back from a Guitar Center where I got a pair of Seymour Duncan Active blackouts installed. I tried em out at the amp over there, but I couldn't really make out any problems, I didn't bother to actually mess with the amps settings or anything so I thought it sounded fine. So then I get home and plug it into my amp and foot pedal and whatnot and I immediately notice that just about all of the sustain I had was gone, everything just immediately faded. I feel like most of the volume I had is also gone, the volume knob only does anything if it's on the highest setting and even then sometimes my guitar goes completely silent like it's off.

So I tried to mess around with the settings on my foot pedal, to adjust sustain and distortion, things like that. But I noticed that the sound kind of wavered as I moved the pedal around so I thought maybe the cord is just wearing out or something. I never had any problems like that with my old pickups though.

Not really sure what's going on.
plug stright into the amp and see if it is still present.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've heard horror stories about guitar center techs

open up the back of your guitar, take a picture and post it. make it as clear and high resolution as possible. also try to get a few good angles.

edit:

after you do what rob said
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I plugged it straight in and it was very quiet. I could tell it was on though. When I turned the volume knob completely up it went silent, but when I turned it about half way it was on.

And I seemed to have misplaced my camera, so pictures are going to have to wait a bit longer.
try a new 9v battery, other than that, take it back.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I took multiple pictures but all of them are too large to post, I've tried resizing them, doesn't work.
If you have a PC right click and change the size that way. Then post.

You had active blackouts installed?

Did they change the control pots? They should be 25K ohm. (willing to bet they didn't change them, or forgot to solder the third lug to the pot)

What was in your guitar before? Are there any markings you can read on your pots?(250K, 500K?)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2_blackouts_1v_1t_3w

What type of volume and tone controls do you have? Do you have a 3 way switch? 5 way selector? Etc.
Last edited by R45VT at Jan 29, 2012,
Did you try changing cables?

Sounds like battery is dead though. Or, more likely, the tech did a shitty job and the connection to the battery is loose.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
that's not exactly high resolution

upload the pictures to www.tinypic.com and post them that way

Do both pickups sound this quiet, or just one?
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I feel kind of retarded, but there was a little piece of foam in there. I took it out and apparently it sounds much better. All the volume back and sustain and everything.

Although the knobs are still messed up, I think they just reversed them, what would have been quiet before is now loud and blah blah etc etc.