I'd say that if you really like how it feels and sounds, if you get to try one out, it's definitely a big leap towards a better sound. Also I think that it's better than your guitar in nearly every single aspect. It's an Epi, yeah, but a really good one.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

The main (i.e. only technically important) differences between that and your LP-100 are you're getting a set neck instead of a bolt-on and you're getting a third pickup. The set neck's a basic upgrade, but then almost every other Epiphone (not to mention so many other great LP copies for <£600) has a set neck, so that's not really much of a special selling point of the Ace model. As for the middle pickup, unless you know that you really like the tone of a middle humbucker then that's really a downgrade. A middle pickup inherently complicates the controls and wiring, actually removes some tone options since you cna't make full use of blending the neck and bridge pickups and the extra magnetic pull and removed wood always reduces sustain. In short, unless you already know that you love the tone of a middle-position humbucker, it's a massive problem.

It's nice that this version comes with good pickups installed stock, but again this isn't really much of a good thing unless you alrady know you want those particular pickups. A company could put the most expensive pickups in the world in a guitar but if they don't suit how you play then they might as well be any old Chinese-made stock pickups.

In terms of build quality there's no reason to expect this to be any better than any other Epiphone. Epis basically come in three flavours: Japanese (no longer available outside of Japan unless you pay crazy import fees), Korean (no longer made) and Chinese (99% of Epis). Beyond that the wood quality tends to be the same throughout all the models, they go through the same quality control process, they're made in the same place by the same people. As such I wouldn't expect this model to be built any better than a Standard you can buy for half the price.

So, buy it if you:
- really love the look
- know the DiMarzio pickups will suit you
- want the middle humbucker tone

Otherwise, save your money and look elsewhere. Epiphone do a 3-pickup Les Paul Custom which will cost less and give you the same tone options; you could buy a Standard and put DiMarzio pickups in it (or whatever else suits you); other brands can provide the same quality as Epiphone for less money (Vintage, Rally, Tokai, LTD, Burny, etc).

My top tip for right now is that Andertons are selling off all their Epi LP Ultra-IIs at a ridiculous price. They only have the black one in stock, but they're reduced to £300 (normally they are £500 or so). It's got a satin-finished, slimmer neck than Epis usually have, a chambered body (which, when we're talking about Epis which only use cheap wood anyway, is only a good thing; less weight, more resonance), a special active pickup that allows oyu to blend in acoustic-like tones in with the normal magnetic pickup tone, both stereo and mono jacks, a back contour so it's more comfortable when playing sat down and most importantly, they were the last Epiphones to be made in Korea, so the build quality is a little better than any other new Epiphones.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Wow, guys...cheers for that. Especially MrFlibble. Very in-depth answer. I think maybe I'm best sticking with my LP-100 for now, then. Especially since I only bought it 6 months ago. As you can tell from my screen name, I'm a huge Ace fan...but not sure if I should spend £600 just to get a guitar with his name on it. Incidentally though, when I am ready to upgrade...I was thinking maybe the Gibson LP Studio. Any comments on that one? Although, I'll defintely check out those Ultra-II's...Thanks again!
Well a Gibson Studio is a much bigger upgrade than any Epiphone is. A lot of people say the Studios are bad and it's true that sometimes the finishes on them can be a bit sloppy and they don't get as nice-looking wood as the more expensive Gibsons get, but at its core it's still a great guitar and most importantly the way it's built and the wood it's made from is much, much better than any Epiphone. Only full-time professional musicians really need more than what a Studio offers. to me - and I say this as someone who's owned Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls and has been lucky enough to handle a couple of real 1958 Les Pauls - the Gibson LP Studio is the best touring guitar, so long as you don't care about the more boring finishes and the lack of binding.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
What 58's have you handled Fibble?

TS, the Ace is a pretty cool guitar with a lot of feauters you wont get any where else in the epi range. But I would give it a miss unless you really love Ace.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
You're right about the finishes on the Studio. Aside from the Alpine White, which is pretty cool, the other colours don't really do it for me. Still, I won't be upgrading for a while, so I got plenty of time to mull over my options. I checked out those Ultra-IIs you mentioned...I gotta tell you I am VERY tempted. £299 seems very reasonable. Although I'm strictly a bedroom player (with the odd jam with friends with fun), it's still nice to play a quality guitar...
Omg, a reissue for a Norlin with a 3 piece top and neck volute?

Jesus Christ, you could buy an actual Norlin-era Gibson les paul for that price.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 29, 2012,
Not in the Uk

We sold a beat up Norlin Custom for £2399 last week

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Not in the Uk

We sold a beat up Norlin Custom for £2399 last week
That's ridiculous... how much does an R9 go for over there? I remember 7-8 years ago, I was considering buying a Norlin '77 Custom for $1600.
A 2011 custom currently £2799, an R9 is about £4.5 and usually special orders. We had a R7 at £3.4

Silly prices, but people pay them.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
What 58's have you handled Fibble?
One when I was wasting Vintage & Rare's time (always fun and something they routinely fall for; serves them damn right for ****ing me about when they were selling my guitar) and one when I was teching at a [redacted] gig (I'd rather not cause a shitstorm so let's leave it off the public boards, though anyone can contact me elsewhere to discuss hangin' with celebs).

Quote by Tom 1.0
A 2011 custom currently £2799, an R9 is about £4.5 and usually special orders. We had a R7 at £3.4

Silly prices, but people pay them.
What the chuff? A VOS 1959 for four and a half grand? **** me I payed shy of three and a half for mine. Wherever you work is gouging people hard (never mind that V&R sold mine for £150 more than I payed for it new, ahem...).
Not really.

Prices have rocketed recently thanks to the Lacey act, inflation, lack of demand and just because they upped the "cost" price on us.

and one when I was teching at a [redacted] gig (I'd rather not cause a shitstorm so let's leave it off the public boards, though anyone can contact me elsewhere to discuss hangin' with celebs).

I doubt anybody cares so just say?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I care, because believe it or not I'm not an attention *****. So if you really want to know, my many contact details are in my profile.

Actually speaking of, if things go well I should be getting my hands on an all-original '54 in two weeks. Had a good ol' feel of a '62 Strat the other day as well. I'm getting my vintage on hardcore, I seriously doubt how much longer I'll be able to happily play production guitars.
that last one made hard cider squirt out my noes LOL!
What the hell!!!
Havnt checked what the exchange rate is but it still sounds like a decent deal.
3 Dimarzios = $250-300+ hard case $100 And a COA worth ??? So just that stuff is worth like $400 here and then add the guitar on top of that.
What the hell!!!
Good point, danvwman...Maybe I should buy it. Hahaha...I don't think I need to twist my own arm too hard to buy this thing.
Check your pms Ace.

We have one on the way if you want one.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
go to your profile and check.

to put it bluntly i have one on the way for £569 delivered.

4 year warranty and proper after care.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Still not seeing a PM, but anyway, I get the gist...That's awesome, dude. Can you send a link to your site? (I'm assuming you work for/ are a retailer?). I really need to think it through, but £569 is cheapest I've seen it for so far, so that's great.
email me at

tom d horn @gmail.com

no spaces and i will send you a number to ring mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
an epiphone norlin clownburst reissue.

damn you gibson, damn you...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
an epiphone norlin clownburst reissue.

damn you gibson, damn you...

This. Epi Cherrybursts look ghastly. They're far too bright in colour. They would look so much better if they darkened the burst a bit.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Ace_1973
Wow, guys...cheers for that. Especially MrFlibble. Very in-depth answer. I think maybe I'm best sticking with my LP-100 for now, then. Especially since I only bought it 6 months ago. As you can tell from my screen name, I'm a huge Ace fan...but not sure if I should spend £600 just to get a guitar with his name on it. Incidentally though, when I am ready to upgrade...I was thinking maybe the Gibson LP Studio. Any comments on that one? Although, I'll defintely check out those Ultra-II's...Thanks again!

ace frehley epi would be worth more tonally than a epi studio. ace frehley has dimarzios, same wood, same everything raelly, except a third pickup, and quite a bit less. plus i think you get grovers too....
I love the specs of the Gibson Custom Shop one:

4-piece maple-mahogany sandwhich/pancake style body, 3-piece mismatched maple top, 3-piece neck, 3 pickups of which you can only use 1.

Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This. Epi Cherrybursts look ghastly. They're far too bright in colour. They would look so much better if they darkened the burst a bit.
The problem with Epiphone is that they don't use the right red aniline dye for their sunbursts, so they always look like this weird, bright Ronald McDonald red as opposed to the deep, rich red that the old Gibson finishes had (or the non-aged higher end reissues have).
Quote by JesusCrisp
I love the specs of the Gibson Custom Shop one:

4-piece maple-mahogany sandwhich/pancake style body, 3-piece mismatched maple top, 3-piece neck, 3 pickups of which you can only use 1.

36 pole pieces when only 12 are actually used...

I gotta say, hats off to the CS for accurately reproducing their crappyness during the norlin era.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by al112987
The problem with Epiphone is that they don't use the right red aniline dye for their sunbursts, so they always look like this weird, bright Ronald McDonald red as opposed to the deep, rich red that the old Gibson finishes had (or the non-aged higher end reissues have).

5 years goes by and it will look amazing though
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
36 pole pieces when only 12 are actually used...

I gotta say, hats off to the CS for accurately reproducing their crappyness during the norlin era.

That's what it's all about, isn't it?
Historically correct reissue of the original.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Ashe_Mc
5 years goes by and it will look amazing though
Not on an Epiphone, 5 years will go by and it will look exactly like the day it was bought. Actually... 50 years will go by and it will still largely the same. The dye that Gibson uses for those specific vintage style finishes are extremely sensitive and fade and discolor with exposure to UV, to smoke, etc. whereas the Epiphone ones won't.