What brand and gauge would you recommend. If you could leave a link or something.
Marshall valvestate 80v
esp ltd mh-1000 deluxe
jay turser jtc-500
it all depends on your play style. I like to use Super slinkys but if I were you I'd get a different type every time you need to replace your strings; eventually you'll get strings that just "feel" right to you.
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Brand: any. I usually use Ernie Ball because they're cheap and are always in stock everywhere. That said I've tried pretty much every other brand too and found no significant differences. People will tell you that [X] brand breaks faster or that [X] brand feels tighter or one sounds darker or brighter or has better sustain, but really there's only so much a company can do with a guitar string. It's basically a wire, or a wire with more wire wrapped around it. There aren't any secrets to good string making that one company has that another doesn't. Every company has their basic strings, every company has coated strings now, almost every company has tried cryogenically frozen strings... in the end nothing has proven to be particularly great. Just go with whatever brand is easiest and cheapest for you to get.

Gauge: Depends on scale length, what sort of bridge your guitar has and the sort of feel you're after, though personally I'd never try Drop C with anything less than .10-.52 (.11-.54 would be my personal pick for Drop C) and I wouldn't do Drop A with any less than .11-.56.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Don't you half to get your guitar setup for different strings? (like the nut, intonation etc.)
Marshall valvestate 80v
esp ltd mh-1000 deluxe
jay turser jtc-500
I use DR DDT 11-54. Works well for Drop C and lower, though you could use something a little thicker for Drop A.
Do you think a 56 for the E string would be to tight?
Marshall valvestate 80v
esp ltd mh-1000 deluxe
jay turser jtc-500
For Drop C I like the DR Alexi Laiho Sig .10 - .56 set but an .11 - .54 might work better for you if you like the top end to be a little tighter. I would use at .13 - .65 set for Drop A if you like it tight or .12 - .60 if you like it a little looser.

Edit:^ at above nope .56 feels amazing in Drop C imo.
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
Last edited by cookies! at Jan 29, 2012,
Drop A? Get a 7. For drop C I would say 12s or maybe 13s, but I use 11s for standard so they might not be for you
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by sicksucks
Don't you half to get your guitar setup for different strings? (like the nut, intonation etc.)

Depends just how much of a change you're making. If the guitar is currently set up for .09-.42 in E Standard and you want to change to .12-.60 in Drop Ab then yeah, you'd need to get the nut slots re-cut for the bigger strings, you need to have the truss rod adjusted for the different tension, you need to set the intonation properly for the new tuning and you need to raise the action slightly.

But if you were going from say, .10-.46 in Drop D to .10-.50 in Drop C# which is a tiny change in tuning and string gauge then no, you wouldn't really need to change much except maybe the intonation and the height/action of the thickest two strings.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Paddy McK
Drop A? Get a 7. For drop C I would say 12s or maybe 13s, but I use 11s for standard so they might not be for you

Ernie Ball actually makes a .12 - .56 set which would be cool if he wanted something nice and tight overall
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
Quote by cookies!
Ernie Ball actually makes a .12 - .56 set which would be cool if he wanted something nice and tight overall

Yeah, they'd probably do the job Never tried to tune any lower than C so I have no idea about drop A, I'd probably want 14s or something stupid like that...
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
Yeah, they'd probably do the job Never tried to tune any lower than C so I have no idea about drop A, I'd probably want 14s or something stupid like that...

Coulda sworn I saw a six string 14 to 80 set on Guitar Center's website at some point Was so weird. I actually use a 12 to 60 DR DDT set for Drop B but meh. I like my bends
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
Beefy Slinky works fine for me in D and drop C.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
I currently have 11-50 on now if i went up to 12-56 i probably would half to get a setup right?
Marshall valvestate 80v
esp ltd mh-1000 deluxe
jay turser jtc-500
It depends on your current tuning, but yeah, you probably will need a setup. Try and learn to do most of it yourself though if you can, it'll save you some money in the long run. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself though take it to a good tech and have him set up how you want it
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
Quote by sicksucks
I currently have 11-50 on now if i went up to 12-56 i probably would half to get a setup right?

As long as you're careful and methodical, doing your own setup shouldn't give you too much bother. Another thing to bear in mind when picking a string gauge is that heavier strings allow you to set your action lower without buzz. But if you struggle with bends then that probably wouldn't be worth it
My Soundcloud
.11-.50 to .12-.56 isn't a huge deal. The 6th string nut slot will probably need to be widened (as might the 5th string's slot) and you'll need to raise the action a little bit, but that should be all. If you're tuning down further than you are now then the tension should even out.