Hey, I have a friend who has offered me 2 practically new pickups. The Black Dog and Crawler Bare Knuckle pickups. He is offering them both for £140. I have an Epiphone Les Paul with the standard pickups it came with (not sure what they are). I was thinking of getting new pickups at some point but I dont know alot about them so was looking for some advice. I mainly play Heavy Rock/Metal if that helps! Cheers!
i would go with the black dog. alot of people prefer its metal tones.

PS i have no first hand experience
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
i would go with the black dog. alot of people prefer its metal tones.

PS i have no first hand experience

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=vintage_hot&pickup=black_dog

There are some clips here. Sounds good for metal. The Crawler, not so much.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
It depends on what version of those pickups he's selling. If they're open coiled you can get them cheaper directly from BKP. However if they are "Calibrated Covered" 140 pounds is a great deal. You should check out the prices and see for yourself.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
Quote by al112987
There is no way you can say that a pickup is not good for a certain style just because there isn't a sound clip of it playing that style on a website.

Go on then. Make a clip and put it up. Show me what the pickup can do.

I'm waiting.

Until the pickup is being advertised for metal, it would be in his best interest to not buy it for metal. There are alternatives out there that are less of a mystery as to what he is going to get. Would you like to continue this little discussion and drag it into a pointless debate/argument?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
surely you realize that the black dog isn't advertised for metal either?
BLACK DOG - Blues, Garage, Punk, Grunge, Alternative, Classic Rock, Heavy Rock and Metal

CRAWLER - Blues, Classic Rock, Fusion, Progressive Rock, '80s Metal.

In a way, they both are. Both may be suited to TC's styles, but I wouldn't even know what those would be. He just mentioned a genre or two and no bands.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Sorry, yeah should have mentioned a few bands! I like to play Alter Bridge, Black Stone Cherry, Guns n Roses, AC/DC and Metallica the most! But I also like classic stuff like Thin Lizzy, Bad Company etc! Looks like I might go for them! I guess they are a lot better than what I will currently have? I mean will there be much of a difference?
I can't see why they wouldn't work for you then. When I hear metal, I start thinking of modern death metal and everything else like that.

As for them being better than what you have now, that is really up to you.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
http://soundcloud.com/nolly/fat-metal-mixtest

i have been doing much research on the black dog as ive very seriously been considering buying them, and they arent exactly cheap.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by jambomarc
Hey, I have a friend who has offered me 2 practically new pickups. The Black Dog and Crawler Bare Knuckle pickups. He is offering them both for £140. I have an Epiphone Les Paul with the standard pickups it came with (not sure what they are). I was thinking of getting new pickups at some point but I dont know alot about them so was looking for some advice. I mainly play Heavy Rock/Metal if that helps! Cheers!

Try and get him down a bit on that price.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Try and get him down a bit on that price.

if he is offering BOTH as in a set, thats not too bad at all. i think. im used to dollars. but each, thats pretty debatable. they go for 150 new.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.