Hey, I'm a sort of intermediate drummer and was looking for some good drummers to study and learn from. Who would you suggest. I've already sttudied Neil Peart and Dave Grohl. I've tried Mike Portnoy, but I'm just not that good. I want to branch out into different genres as well. I've seen Buddy Rich lately who I'm studying right now.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Quote by Weenie96
Ch-Ch-Ch-Chad Smith.
hes a beast at what he does

This. Also you might have some fun playing Nicko Mcbrain. Also try some scale the summit
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Jeff Porcaro / Simon Phillips / Steve Gadd...
My advice, learn Jeff Porcaro's stuff. He was so amazing and natural that it's crazy. His most famous shuffle is Rosanna shuffle. Well they called him Groove master for a reason.
He was technical but yet had lots of feeling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwFdExvCxM4
and maybe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21rsOvqjUeQ
I found it fascinating how he thought when writing a drum line.
I love Chad Smith.

I'll look more into Nicko McBrain. He seems pretty good. Scale the Summit is way too insane. I'm looking for more technique.

EDIT: Jeff Porcaro is amazing and I'll be watching his vids.
Last edited by gateway01 at Jan 29, 2012,
Aside from Smith and McBrain, try Gavin Harrison and Questlove.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Some more Jeff Porcaro shuffles

Lowdown by Boz Scaggs. NOBODY can play this shuffle the way he did, it's really the feeling that made him so special.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGL8gUwoSfY
Lido Shuffle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Brlp57fZ6A

If you listened more Toto you would find out how amazing drummer he was. Well, watching his instructional videos would also give you an idea.
Quote by Pepc619
Some more Jeff Porcaro shuffles

Lowdown by Boz Scaggs. NOBODY can play this shuffle the way he did, it's really the feeling that made him so special.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGL8gUwoSfY
Lido Shuffle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Brlp57fZ6A

If you listened more Toto you would find out how amazing drummer he was. Well, watching his instructional videos would also give you an idea.

What a shame this guy's dead. I've bee watching a lot of his videos lately and I'll probably look into the DVD he did with Hal Leonard.
Last edited by gateway01 at Jan 30, 2012,
I mean, I could spout off a list of my favorite drummers but I feel as though this is something you should do for yourself. Just go on a search and listen to as many as you can.

For me though, some doorways were opened after listening to the playing and/or words of Mike Heller, Gary Chester, Derek Roddy, Steve Smith, Bobby Jarzombek, Dan Foord, Dave Weckl, Mark Guiliana, Danny Walker, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jeff Porcaro, Aaron Spears, Gil Sharone, Abe Cunningham, John Bonham, Jeff Eber, Tomas Haake, Sean Reinert, Gene Hoglan, Benny Greb, Jon Karel, Zach Hill, Travis Orbin and Matt Halpern.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jan 29, 2012,
Quote by Steve08
I mean, I could spout off a list of my favorite drummers but I feel as though this is something you should do for yourself. Just go on a search and listen to as many as you can.

For me though, some doorways were opened after listening to the playing and/or words of Mike Heller, Gary Chester, Derek Roddy, Steve Smith, Bobby Jarzombek, Dan Foord, Dave Weckl, Mark Guiliana, Danny Walker, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Jeff Porcaro, Aaron Spears, Gil Sharone, Abe Cunningham, John Bonham, Jeff Eber, Tomas Haake, Sean Reinert, Gene Hoglan, Benny Greb, Jon Karel, Zach Hill, Travis Orbin and Matt Halpern.

That's quite a list you got there. I look some of them up later.
GAR SAMUELSON. One of the best metal drummers ever. **** he was a jazz fusion guy, he had a wonderful technique, speed, meh everything. RIP
In the eye of the tornado , blow me away!
There is no best.

But check out Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, Philly Joe Jones, Tony Williams, Max Roach, Jack DeJohnette, Louie Bellson, Gene Krupa, Roy Haynes, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Jimmy Cobb, Dave Weckl, Gary Novak, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta. A lot of those dudes don't play jazz exclusively (mostly the last 4), so just look into the jazz recordings they've been a part of I guess.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jan 30, 2012,
Check out Stanton Moore, amazing modern funk drummer.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Dude check out Aaron Spears, Tony Royster Jr., Thomas Pridgen, and Eric Moore. These guys are ridiculous.
Another fun one to learn from and play is Chad Szeliga. He does alot of Six-Stroke rolls / fills, so its kinda a step out from traditional rock.
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Recently I've been listening to a lot of Travis Orbin and Matt Halpern. I like seeing what they can get from a (relatively, compared to many metal drummers) small, minimalistic kit and what they do with it. It's good stuff.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
^ I thought you were dead?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Chad Sexton from 311, he kinda rips
Jordan Burns from Strung Out 1 of the best drummers in the world
Refused drummer is insane
John Bonham from led Zepplin
Dustin Walters from Clockwork Afiliate/Teabaggin
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mike Portnoy
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
^ Scott Philips can't play live to save his life! 4 times I've seen Alter Bridge and 4 times the whole thing was let down by his inability to keep time, come in at the same tempo or even do a clean fill (Which reminds me, every time they play Metalingus, it's incredibly sped up and messy).

Though to give him credit I did learn one of my favourite drum fills from him.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

I just watched 3 random live videos of Metalingus and I'll back that up, haha.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Gene Hoglan FOR SURE

Navene Koperweis (animals as leaders)
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence
Keep a good variety in studying drummers. You can learn good basic beats from Chad Smith and Dave Grohl, some cool double bass beats from Chris Adler, some cool punk fills from Tre Cool, complex polyrhythms and such from Danny Carey and Mike Portnoy, and creating massive walls of sound in huge, elongated fills from Brann Dailor.
I also suggest paying close attention to the drummer for Breaking Benjamin, mister Chad Szeliga. He manages to make somewhat more complicated beats work in their songs, when you wouldn't really expect it.
Matt Cameron (pretty sure thats his name) from Soundgarden/Pearl Jam
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Skinny91
Check out Stanton Moore, amazing modern funk drummer.

Great shout, his stuff with Galactic (Crazy Mongoose) is amazing, one of the best clinics I've been to was his a few years ago.

Dare I say Phil Collins without getting shot to flames?
He isn't everyone's cup of tea but his sense of groove is impeccable and his 70's stuff with Genesis and Brand X is sublime.
Phil Collins is a great drummer, its a shame he has got so much flak over the years.

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Wow, people still post in this thread? I posted this months ago and have since forgotten it. But looking back, it seems I have some research to do.
If you play anything you have to get the styles of one Mr. John Henry Bonham, and JOey jordsion is a pretty decent drummer, mike pontoy is a beast drummer, but so is tools drumer, we all need some chris adler in us as well very good drumer
Poogie Bell. Aaron Spears. Anyone that drums for Erykah Badu, Amy Winehouse, and also and drummers that back up huge artist. I feel that the best drummers to learn from are session drummers. Wanna be inspired by chops? Chad Sexton did DCI.
Jared Falk anyone?
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Quote by Taerran
Jared Falk anyone?

The sites lessons are simple to follow for the most part but it's all rock based and very basic stuff, which is great for beginners, but the advanced and intermediate stuff leaves room to be desired.

Now on that note there are two drummers who I'd highly recommend;

Jojo Mayer and Mike Johnston.... Go on, I dare you
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra

Well, if you're looking for someone to "learn" from, they're very good instructional videos. And the fact that they break down tuning is a big help for beginner / intermediates as well.
Days go on forever
If you go then so will I
Quote by Pepc619
Jeff Porcaro / Simon Phillips / Steve Gadd...
My advice, learn Jeff Porcaro's stuff. He was so amazing and natural that it's crazy. His most famous shuffle is Rosanna shuffle. Well they called him Groove master for a reason.
He was technical but yet had lots of feeling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwFdExvCxM4
and maybe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21rsOvqjUeQ
I found it fascinating how he thought when writing a drum line.

wow, really great stuff there. loved his explanation of the rosanna shuffle