hey GG&A i have a choice between a tube screamer and a ds-1

i don't know the difference between the two except ones
a distortion and the other is tube pedal .

what would you suggest to get and whats the difference in them ?
what else do you have for gear and what kind of sound are you going for?
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
DS-1 is generally hated on UG, but I love mine. The Tubescreamer doesn't have as much treble or distortion/gain, and the DS-1 can get almost-metal tones. I prefer it with the distortion down for a warm overdrive akin to Keith Richards.
Well a tube screamer will overdrive your tone, giving you some dirt and a 'boost'. It can be used on a clean channel or an already distorted tone.
A distortion will just distort your clean channel, and won't be used on an already distorted tone. Its basically your distorted channel in a box.

I wouldn't advise getting a DS-1; as there are far better distortion pedals out there.
I love my tubesreamer I mostly use it as a booster pedal to add some crazy sustain And crunch to my tone also if your into classic rock you will like this. I have the ts 9 dx model for an extra 20 bucks you can go from classic rock to metal only by turning a nob it's pretty sweet
Listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit - the chorus is being played through a DS-1. Then listen to Texas Flood (Stevie Ray Vaughn) Tubescreamer (and they don't contain tubes, the ideal is that they drive tubes in an all valve amp harder).
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Generally speaking if the question is "DS1 or something else?" The answer is something else.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Generally speaking if the question is "DS1 or something else?" The answer is something else.

yeah....that
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Tubescreamers are somewhat ubiquitous, too.

Although for a pretty good reason. I've had four of them over the years.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I have both, however my DS-1 was modded when I got it (Keeley Ultimate mod). One is a distortion (DS-1) and one is an overdrive. IMHO you want both, but I'd strongly recommend you get a better distortion. Choice between DS-1 and an unnamed overdrive? Can you tell us more about the OD? If it's like mine, an Ibanez TS-9 then hands down the OD. Or if you can afford a TS-9, then maybe compare it to an equivalent distortion like the JD-9 (or many others).
Modded DS1's can be a fine pedal. They are built like a brick shithouse and the basic circuit is ok, it just has some really poor choices in values.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I own a Ds1 and have been playing it through a marshall mg250dfx. Not really what I (or most people) want to hear. But I am looking forward to playing it through the new amp that I plan on getting very soon. The Ds1 does exactly what it says, distortion in its simplest form. Not really my cup of tea, but not a bad pedal. You can get the heavies out of it if you tweak it right. But I also plan on getting a tube screamer and a fuzz. But just remember, you get what you pay for, and try both out.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
My GP-8 has a DS-1 and an SD-1 built into it. I normally use it as a boost in front of a nice tube amp but on the rare occasions I want to add some colour from a "pedal" I will use the SD-1. The DS-1 never gets used. I've had that unit for over 20 years and the DS-1 is about the only effect in it that never gets switched on. They are rubbish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Roland GP-8 isn't a modeller. It's 8 Boss pedals in one box with MIDI control. It is the grandaddy of MFX units. It's a DS-1 in there man, not a digital model of one - the real thing (analog). It just happens to share a PCB with other pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by cemges
Actual ones have nothing to do with modelling of them.

'Modeling of them' has nothing to do with the GP-8.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Slap-happy
Listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit - the chorus is being played through a DS-1. Then listen to Texas Flood (Stevie Ray Vaughn) Tubescreamer (and they don't contain tubes, the ideal is that they drive tubes in an all valve amp harder).

Kind of an oversimplification, Cobain's DS1 was not built to the same specs as the current DS1 models... and you really cannot get the chorus sound out of a stock DS-1...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Plus of course - it's a studio recording. As if there's no post production going on.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As if the DS-1 doesn't have a tone knob, and your amp doesn't have EQ knobs.

Find an older, used DS-1. It doesn't have to be one of the MIJs, but stray away from the newer, cheaper models.
there's probably some perfectly acceptable and logical reason for this, but why do you only have the choice of a ds1 or a tubescreamer?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?