I bought a Zakk Wylde Epiphone LPCustom a year ago and at first it was cool. Now... I dont wanna go onstage with a signature guitar so vivid. Incase u dont know what it is or looks like, http://www.instrumentguide.com/electric%20guitars/epiphone/les%20paul%20custom%20buzzsaw%20zakk%20wylde/

Anyway, this is a set-neck and Ive read tutorials on how to paint a guitar, but not with that neck or body type. Also, the guitar already has a gloss finish over it, so I dont think I should sand it down. Kinda feels like its been painted and then shelled with gloss over the whole guitar... I just wanna paint the front.

Here's what I want to do. Paint the body a nice deep black with two orange stripes, and an orange decal on the bottom left. Kind of like James Hetfields Iron Cross meets an inverted Buzzsaw original.. but, not intentionally, those colors just kick ass.

Should I do this myself, or should I take this to an automechanic/painter? I sincerely doubt theres a guitar painter here. But yes Id like to know the best method of doing this and if I can do it under $100, thank you very much
Well I certainly wouldn't take it to an auto mechanic, but I'd also suggest against doing it yourself since your inexperienced.

You will have to sand it down and primer it if you want to paint it another color, however.

Those Korean made Epiphone LP Customs(Which is what your guitar is, plus the exclusive paintjob) are pretty nice guitars.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor

Those Korean made Epiphone LP Customs(Which is what your guitar is, plus the exclusive paintjob) are pretty nice guitars.

...ok thank you. Your other advice is good, but it didnt point me in a direction especially that last comment. I want to customize it, Im spending my tax return on a BLackstar HT-60, so I dont have the money to get a new guitar and just go "**** it" besides this plays like a dream to me.
It really does matter how much you, one, like the guitar, and two, want it to look good.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
From what i understand you just want to do the top of the body. Just sand that off carefully, with 120 grit max, 320 grit min.

After you see the wood, sand it down with 1000 grit or higher. Now have a pro, whether its a friend, buisness, or family member help you. You might need wood grain filler or not. Once you have all this done, tape off the neck, and body sides. Just tape the bottom of the neck carefully and use newspaper after the first 6-8 inches. You shouldn't have to worry about the headstock.

At this point the pro will help you with paints but typically it'll be primer, wet sand, colored paint, wet sand, then clear coat, and wet sand with even finer grit.

P.S. I forgot about binding, you might have to carefully strip that off if you still want that. You can paint over it though assuming your paints won't dissolve the binding.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I would suggest having someone else do it, but also get some tips and maybe watch them do a bit if they'd let you, just so you could do similar stuff in the future confidently.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood