So my friend started playing guitar. He has a Cort Jade 2. He's been playing for 3 years, but I'm improving faster than he is due to me playing electric. So he learned bass and is the bass player for our band. We're playing in my friends house, he has bass and drums. We recently found a new drummer that's way better than our old one, because our old one just did the rock beat. So we're looking to buy our bass player a bass.
What's the best value for Bass+Bass Amp? We're looking for under $400.
^ In this situation there's no point spending the majority of the budget on a better bass, because then you won't be able to hear it anyway. I'd probably recommend something like a cheap SX jazz bass (or something second hand) into a decent 150 watt+ amp from Acoustic or somebody like that.

I also feel like I should probably add that somebody not improving fast on guitar is an awful excuse to take up bass. The bass world does not need more failed guitarists. If you're serious, get a dedicated bassist who will come with proper equipment, proper technique, and hopefully the ability to write proper bass parts. This will make your band sound infinitely better. Don't make the mistake of under-estimating what an actual bassist can contribute to a band.
Yea dude **** failed guitarists that pick up basses just to play the easiest possible shit to get by and make bassists look bad.

400 dollars? Yea an SX bass and 150 watt amp. Look used.
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5
Douglas Sculptor 825 NA Fretless 5

Main Rig:
Sansamp>GK Backline 600>2 GK BLX 210 Cabinets
Quote by Ziphoblat
^ In this situation there's no point spending the majority of the budget on a better bass, because then you won't be able to hear it anyway. I'd probably recommend something like a cheap SX jazz bass (or something second hand) into a decent 150 watt+ amp from Acoustic or somebody like that.

I also feel like I should probably add that somebody not improving fast on guitar is an awful excuse to take up bass. The bass world does not need more failed guitarists. If you're serious, get a dedicated bassist who will come with proper equipment, proper technique, and hopefully the ability to write proper bass parts. This will make your band sound infinitely better. Don't make the mistake of under-estimating what an actual bassist can contribute to a band.

dude, he's not a failed guitarist, he just took up bass and quickly improved and enjoys it more, he even took up theory for the bass, he's a great bass player and I'm definitely not underestimating bass players man, I actually can't play bass because I'm not good at it, he tried to teach me too. He's very dedicated, he stays hours at the church just reading the bass book, trying to learn theory. He actually wrote the melody part for most of ours songs just using the bass, i just harmonized it and played guitar. Don't underestimate my bassist man, he can't play as good as you probably could but he's very dedicated and that's all I needed to let him in. It's our drummer who sucks, that's why we're getting a new one. We just need equipment and he's not the richest guy in the world, neither am i but our drummer is pretty rich and is pretty pissed at us for kicking him out.
Our new drummer is not using acoustic drums, he's using electric for recording.

What do you think about these?

http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba108/index.html

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/yamaha-rbx170-bass

He wants a PJ bass, we can always upgrade the pickups, and the amp as soon as we get more money, he's 14 so he gets like $20 bucks a week.
A squier affinity P can be had for like $30-$70 in any craigslist ad or pawnshop, just haggle. Most people post them after giving up trying to learn at rather "high" prices trying to make back their money but don't let them.

A used Peavey amp is a good bet. 100-300 watts best range, 100 watts isn't optimum, but can be usually had for a good price, and keep up for practice with a drummer if you don't wail as hard as you can.

Don't forget to avoid berhinger. Also keep in mind he might need some cables, tuner, new strings if it's a used bass is a good idea, a gig bag, and strap.

A good cheap option for strap locks is to go to home depot and get some wide washers with very small screw holes, they fit a fender strap screw fine and hold a strap in place for like $1 for 8.
Quote by NatePlaysBass
Yea dude **** failed guitarists that pick up basses just to play the easiest possible shit to get by and make bassists look bad.

400 dollars? Yea an SX bass and 150 watt amp. Look used.

why do you assume he's a failed guitarist?
He studies theory you know, he knows how to write bass parts and not just play the same chords the rhythm guitarist is playing...
I hate it when people underestimate him.
Just because he enjoys bass and stopped guitar doesn't mean he sucks bro. If he sucked I would've already kicked him out just like the drummer.
Quote by askrere
A squier affinity P can be had for like $30-$70 in any craigslist ad or pawnshop, just haggle. Most people post them after giving up trying to learn at rather "high" prices trying to make back their money but don't let them.

A used Peavey amp is a good bet. 100-300 watts best range, 100 watts isn't optimum, but can be usually had for a good price, and keep up for practice with a drummer if you don't wail as hard as you can.

Don't forget to avoid berhinger. Also keep in mind he might need some cables, tuner, new strings if it's a used bass is a good idea, a gig bag, and strap.

A good cheap option for strap locks is to go to home depot and get some wide washers with very small screw holes, they fit a fender strap screw fine and hold a strap in place for like $1 for 8.

Thanks for some real help instead of just hating on him.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/acoustic-b200h-200w-bass-head-and-b115-250w-1x15-bass-cab-package
planning to get that as an upgrade amp after he gets the practice equipment
Look used even for an upgrade. Honestly acoustic is an alright brand, but you can get a much better deal used.

New only makes sense if you need it fast, it's not on the used market, the deal just outweighs going used, or your buying something expensive regardless (like a SVT stack). It's probably better to buy a new SVT head from the box than a guy selling last years model with wear and tear from a tour and tube hours sapped.

Meanwhile 200-400 watt heads and 1x15's are a dime a dozen. My main amp is a GK MB200 head I bought new when they just came out for $250. and two 1x15's 8 ohms each, one was like $50 and the other was $70. I also at the moment have a Peavey TNT combo I got for $60, those are really nice look into them. And a Peavey mark IV bass head I got for $40. It's 200 watts are 4 ohms, or I can plug it into both my 8 ohm 1x15's and a 4 ohm 1x15 I got for free and blast 300 watts at 2 ohms through 3 1x15's, stereo that with my combo and it's 4 15" speakers and two amps all for under $500 including the GK head.

I play a bronco bass $90, but also have a mustang and a Squier affinity P bass. I got the P for $40, it's currently raw wood and being routed for a second P pickup but I am slow and lazy.
Quote by dragonkidkoga
dude, he's not a failed guitarist, he just took up bass and quickly improved and enjoys it more, he even took up theory for the bass, he's a great bass player and I'm definitely not underestimating bass players man, I actually can't play bass because I'm not good at it, he tried to teach me too. He's very dedicated, he stays hours at the church just reading the bass book, trying to learn theory. He actually wrote the melody part for most of ours songs just using the bass, i just harmonized it and played guitar.

Simply put, that wasn't the impression I got from the original post. It sounded more like the age old scenario of two guitarists wanting to start a band, and the worst one being made to play bass. The result often being a sloppy rhythm section that makes the band entirely boring to listen to because of the complete lack of tightness, synergy, and groove. I was going to suggest that if this was the case, that your bassist should look at spending his money on learning how to play his instrument, rather than on equipment, but as it turns out it isn't, so you should be fine.

What do you think about these?

http://www.ampeg.com/products/bassamp/ba108/index.html

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/yamaha-rbx170-bass

He wants a PJ bass, we can always upgrade the pickups, and the amp as soon as we get more money, he's 14 so he gets like $20 bucks a week.

Avoid low-end Ampeg stuff, over-priced and underwhelming for the most part (I'd probably say the same about the high-end stuff too nowadays). The Yamaha is a great bass for the price.
Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar is a really cool P/J style bass. It's nicer sounding than most low end Ibanez Soundgears, which are in that same price point. Make sure not to get the short scale one, unless he wants that ofc.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Simply put, that wasn't the impression I got from the original post. It sounded more like the age old scenario of two guitarists wanting to start a band, and the worst one being made to play bass. The result often being a sloppy rhythm section that makes the band entirely boring to listen to because of the complete lack of tightness, synergy, and groove. I was going to suggest that if this was the case, that your bassist should look at spending his money on learning how to play his instrument, rather than on equipment, but as it turns out it isn't, so you should be fine.

Avoid low-end Ampeg stuff, over-priced and underwhelming for the most part (I'd probably say the same about the high-end stuff too nowadays). The Yamaha is a great bass for the price.

Ok, Thank you. If we put our money together, including the retail from guitar $350 new for an amp, maximum. Used $200 if I can find one.
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Ok, Thank you. If we put our money together, including the retail from guitar $350 new for an amp, maximum. Used $200 if I can find one.

Can you explain that again?
If he gets a Yamaha RBX170, which is rounded to $200CAD, and a Behringer BXL3000 Which is rounded to $300CAD. It would add up to $500CAD. So he can get a discount for around $200-300CAD. It adds up to $200-300CAD. I don't care about what people say about Behringer, I like the brand. Mod please close this thread.
Seriously, listen to the guys saying to go used. When I started and needed an amp for practicing, went on craigslist and found a Peavey TNT 130 for $120. You can do the same. As for basses, used. You can go on craigslist and get some sweet basses for like $100.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Rawshik
Seriously, listen to the guys saying to go used. When I started and needed an amp for practicing, went on craigslist and found a Peavey TNT 130 for $120. You can do the same. As for basses, used. You can go on craigslist and get some sweet basses for like $100.

For real I took you seriously, but then you decide to go with new garbage (amp)?

I got one of those TNT's too for $60 from a desperate guy, and got my first bass free from a friend who gave up, but a old Squier is easily under $100 and fine for the beginner.

Of course I can shout go used all I want, but some people have an aversion and that's their own thing. If they don't want to read every thread below this one where someone has been suggested to go used and got a nice deal that's fine. In the end though I guess you can close the thread since he really doesn't want the help, he's found Berhringer.

My friend buys new DVDs constantly even though most places sell used DVD's and there is a company called Netflix...
Quote by dragonkidkoga
I've already checked craigslist guys...

It changes every day, are you in a big hurry?

If you get used, make sure to test out the equipment first. Don't just give it a once over visual glance. Play on it.