Page 1 of 3
I am looking at both the Line 6 spider IV 75 and the Peavey Vypyr 75 (most likely gonna go with vypyr). I am planning on playing in the talent show but I'm certain that my Line 6 spider I 50w couldnt handle it. So, that actually leaves me with 2 questions: can 50 watts handle a gymnasium? and can 75 watts handle a gymnasium? Also, it isnt like a gymnasuim where I would be playing at like centercourt or anything, there is actually a stage built in to the gym. so, please i NEED feedback. Also, in case this helps, I play metal/hard rock stuff.
should be loud enough.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
The Spider is going to sound like someone is massacring a million cats when you play Smoke on The Water.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yes.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
None of these amps are suitable for purpose. Look for a used tube peavey tube amp like a triumpth, ultra or classic or something.
All depends on whether it's going to be mic'd up or not. If it will, then that'll be fine because on stage it'll only be running at medium volume and most of the work will be done by the PA. If not, then I'd say you'll probably struggle.
What sort of drummer would you have to be playing with for a 75W Vyper not to be loud enough to keep up? And even if there's no drummer, how could an amp loud enough to keep up with a drumkit not be loud enough in a gym? Have you ever played in a gym? A drumkit in a gym is deafening even on its little old lonesome.

Yes dude. The 75W Vyper will be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
its gonna sound thin if there is no pa supporting you. A full stack is the only thing that will move enough air to sound full in that size of room ...Like a full court BBall gym??? Hell I was at a show friday night in a place 1/3 that size ... Mesa trip rectees half stacks sounded weak without the PA.
What the hell!!!
Quote by Cathbard
What sort of drummer would you have to be playing with for a 75W Vyper not to be loud enough to keep up? And even if there's no drummer, how could an amp loud enough to keep up with a drumkit not be loud enough in a gym? Have you ever played in a gym? A drumkit in a gym is deafening even on its little old lonesome.

Yes dude. The 75W Vyper will be fine.

Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
dude the place I was talkin about was Station 4 in St. Paul.(Headliner was CWN ANNWN killer band) I just saw the thing about you being in Wisconsin. Check out craigs list. If you have $400 you can get a 4x12 and an 100 watt valvestate down here. Hell Flexwave 120 heads go for under $200 and I saw an Ibanez Tone blaster Head and 4x12 cab for $300. I want to buy it but I have to buy the old lady a cat for every new piece of gear I buy this year.....and I HATE CATS!
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
dude the place I was talkin about was Station 4 in St. Paul.(Headliner was CWN ANNWN killer band) I just saw the thing about you being in Wisconsin. Check out craigs list. If you have $400 you can get a 4x12 and an 100 watt valvestate down here. Hell Flexwave 120 heads go for under $200 and I saw an Ibanez Tone blaster Head and 4x12 cab for $300. I want to buy it but I have to buy the old lady a cat for every new piece of gear I buy this year.....and I HATE CATS!

What on earth are you going on about?

Halfstacks aren't necessary for gigging for goodness sake.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Please don't buy a flexwave or toneblaster -_____-
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I gigged for over 10 years with a 100W SS 2x12 combo doing every sized gig imaginable - even big outdoor ones. Apparently I need a halfstack? Good to know.

Quote by ibanezguitars44
Please don't buy a flexwave or toneblaster -_____-
Or a bloody Valvestate. A 75W Vyper is better than all those amps he listed. Ah, you gotta laugh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 29, 2012,
You need a wall of Plexi Fullstacks for any kind of gig.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yep a whole wall, like Kiss:
(Invalid img)

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I gigged for over 10 years with a 100W SS 2x12 combo doing every sized gig imaginable - even big outdoor ones. Apparently I need a halfstack? Good to know.

Or a bloody Valvestate. A 75W Vyper is better than all those amps he listed. Ah, you gotta laugh.

Ummm but unless you were playing the local coffee cafe you were most likely miked to a several 1000 watt pa????
What the hell!!!
Quote by Cathbard
(Invalid img)

Yes! I didn't expect a picture, but I'm glad it happened.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Cathbard
(Invalid img)

Your 100w 2x12 would be fine with their pa.
What the hell!!!
for kiss
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by danvwman
Ummm but unless you were playing the local coffee cafe you were most likely miked to a several 1000 watt pa????

Guys, seriously. Need a 100w amp for cafe gigs.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
You recommended a T0anzblaster. I don't think anyone is going to listen to ya.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Man, you stick the amp on a milk crate and if that isn't loud enough you shove a mike in front of it. It aint rocket science. He's doing a talent show ffs. What's wrong with you?

TS: A 75W Vyper will be fine but if you really want a nice amp and can afford it get the 60Wer. It's louder than the 75W and sounds heaps better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Eppicurt
What on earth are you going on about?

Halfstacks aren't necessary for gigging for goodness sake.

Then
why are they made?
It all depends on what you play.
A huge room with no pa is gonna need a huge amp/cabsetup
I have played with drummers that can drowned out a half stack easy without trying.
What the hell!!!
Quote by lemurflames
You recommended a T0anzblaster. I don't think anyone is going to listen to ya.

He is 15 and to get a 100 watt 4x12 for $300 us is a damn good deal for a 15 year old.
I bet if he played it he would like it. And it looks nice.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
Then
why are they made?
It all depends on what you play.
A huge room with no pa is gonna need a huge amp/cabsetup
I have played with drummers that can drowned out a half stack easy without trying.

Why are Ferrari and Lambos made? Just because something is made does not mean it is necessary.

So, what you're saying is: You need a big amp and big speaker cab for lots of volume.

Gotcha.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
He's doing a talent show. Don't you think they may have a PA?

They make halfstacks because people like them. They make full stacks too, I guess that means you must need them, huh? I use a halfstack now myself because I like my tone through it but I have gigged with combos everywhere. They are fine. You don't need a halfstack ffs.

Oh no wait. A full stack isn't enough either because they now make this:

Shit, gotta buy a new rig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I used to gig with a first generation Roland Cube 60. In a metal band. The drummer was merciless towards his kit. I could still be heard.

You do not need a stack.

Quote by Cathbard
Oh no wait. A full stack isn't enough either because they now make this:

Was waiting for that
lolcrate
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Ummm it s most likely a high school. There is most likely no pa as such available for the band. Been there done that.I played in my lunch room at high school we had 4 halfstacks going,that sounded good it had a 15 foot high celing The gyms are big here (USA)most of the time, 40 foot celings, basket ball size floors with bleachers on the side(long wide room) Stacks are going to be needed to over come the echo. A 60 or 75 watt 1 or 2x12 aint gonna cut it.
What the hell!!!
When I've gigged with my JCM900 combo I've never had the master volume past about 6 and I was only able to do that when the drumkit was miked up.

Right, you're going to have a talent show without a PA. So the singers are gonna have to do what? Shout? Bring megaphones? What?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by lemurflames
Why are Ferrari and Lambos made? Just because something is made does not mean it is necessary.

So, what you're saying is: You need a big amp and big speaker cab for lots of volume.

Gotcha.

Not for the loudness volume but the sheer volume of the room.
What the hell!!!
So...what you're saying is... USA Gyms > Aussie Gyms, and that justifies a halfstack because you went to a shitty school that couldn't afford a cheap PA.

Stacks are needed to overcome the echo?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Kikuta
I used to gig with a first generation Roland Cube 60. In a metal band. The drummer was merciless towards his kit.

I feel for you and the crowd.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
I feel for you and the crowd.

T0anzblaster.

This thread is going to get locked.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
First generation? You mean the straight SS Cube without the modelling stuff? I have one of the 60W bass versions of that amp. And guess what? We've gigged with it. I suppose that didn't work either. I wonder why all these people used to pay us?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by danvwman
Ummm it s most likely a high school. There is most likely no pa as such available for the band. Been there done that.I played in my lunch room at high school we had 4 halfstacks going,that sounded good it had a 15 foot high celing The gyms are big here (USA)most of the time, 40 foot celings, basket ball size floors with bleachers on the side(long wide room) Stacks are going to be needed to over come the echo. A 60 or 75 watt 1 or 2x12 aint gonna cut it.
Not sure if trolling...

I've played a few gigs larger and louder than a HS gym with an umic'ed 22 watt Fender Deluxe Reverb. I've also done it with a JTM45 through a 2x12 whilst cutting about half the wattage with a THD Hotplate.

In fact come to think of it, I've also played a HS gym, for a talent show with a 15 watt solid state fender Frontman. With a drummer too.
The pa at a high school is 99% of the time just for announcements at pep rallys and basketball games. I have a problem understanding anything at these functions. My kid is in a very wealthy school district. The PA at all of the sports functions sounds like how the adults sound in the Charlie Brown cartoons. Cant understand a effing word.
What the hell!!!
Quote by Cathbard
First generation? You mean the straight SS Cube without the modelling stuff? I have one of the 60W bass versions of that amp. And guess what? We've gigged with it. I suppose that didn't work either. I wonder why all these people used to pay us?

Guess who owns this.

Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by al112987
Not sure if trolling...

I've played a few gigs larger and louder than a HS gym with an umic'ed 22 watt Fender Deluxe Reverb. I've also done it with a JTM45 through a 2x12 whilst cutting about half the wattage with a THD Hotplate.

In fact come to think of it, I've also played a HS gym, for a talent show with a 15 watt solid state fender Frontman. With a drummer too.

It may may have sounded good to you. How did it really sound out in the room?
What the hell!!!
Page 1 of 3