So... Ice fishing. Who does it, who's done it, who wants to do it.

I went and tried to punch me a hole in the ice tonight. But no luck, about 4 inches of slush and then nothing but concrete solid ice. Tried everywhere but no luck. I'm thinking maybe i should sharpen my blade although its not really dull.

I wanted to make a hut for this winter but didn't have the money/time. Or even more money to pay for stupid fees and registration and bubble gum chewing license.

Discuss?
I haven't actually been to any places to go ice fishing at... yet.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 29, 2012,
Cool, I'd do that if I could, I love fishing, guts and all!
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by King Donkey
Are you an eskimo by any chance?

Nope. Just a Canadian looking to spend a nice quiet, dark and cold night with a few beers and some cigars.
Done it a few times, but the ice hasn't been thick enough here. People keep losing their ice shacks and shit I got to build a new one and get my truck fixed first
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
You should ditch the auger, only pussies use them. Chop yourself a nice hole with a quality axe, or better yet chainsaw.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

D'awwwww.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Creed Bratton
You should ditch the auger, only pussies use them. Chop yourself a nice hole with a quality axe, or better yet chainsaw.

Well it would take me the whole night with an axe, and i don't have a chainsaw.

Problem is I think my blade is done. Im gonna head over to crappy tire and get me a new one. Apparently the blades make all the difference.
Quote by bastards
Done it a few times, but the ice hasn't been thick enough here. People keep losing their ice shacks and shit I got to build a new one and get my truck fixed first

We had one guy last year who left his shack out too long. He wanted to avoid the fine so he went out on like 3 inch ice with his truck. Truck went through, guy drowned, kid escaped.
Quote by metalblaster
We had one guy last year who left his shack out too long. He wanted to avoid the fine so he went out on like 3 inch ice with his truck. Truck went through, guy drowned, kid escaped.

I have no sympathy for people like that. terrible, but still a waste

But I still love me some cold weather, snowmobiling and drinking beer
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Last edited by bastards at Jan 29, 2012,
Where do you live? just bring out a big bar/chisel and punch through some week old holes, there should only be a few inches of ice in them unless you are in the Yukon. I know that if I was out and saw you struggling with a hand auger on a couple feet of ice I would let you borrow my auger for a few minutes. People have offered me beer if I let them use the auger to punch a couple holes.
Quote by bastards
I have no sympathy for people like that. terrible, but still a waste

But I still love me some cold weather, snowmobiling and drinking beer

Ahhh I hear ya man. I'm really hoping I can get a hole in once I get me a new blade. Then I'm gonna wrap myself up, go out on the lake with a thermos full of tea, some captain blacks, some beers and I'm just gonna sit there in the quiet and darkness and the embracing freezing cold. God I love the cold, no better feeling.

I'm supposed to go snowmobiling soon with a few of my friends. It's gonna be awesome, just tearing donuts on the ice and ripping down the ice road at 120.
Quote by Creed Bratton
Where do you live? just bring out a big bar/chisel and punch through some week old holes, there should only be a few inches of ice in them unless you are in the Yukon. I know that if I was out and saw you struggling with a hand auger on a couple feet of ice I would let you borrow my auger for a few minutes. People have offered me beer if I let them use the auger to punch a couple holes.

Ya, the thing is there is a layer of slush. I don't know it's really weird, it sort of compacts itself when you go down, and then you hit the ice. Like it is fuuucking thick and dense as tits in some spots. Thing is the guys with the huts are all huddled in the perfect spot. And you can't exactly go in that area and start punching holes because they'll get pissed at you for this and that and they'll call you out on not having your fish license and you should just pay the fee and rent a hut and blahh blahhh. Yeah, people are dicks here, in Ottawa. Luckily for me I speak french, so when you come across a crooked eye guy who thinks you're a leecher, chances are he's french and the conversation gets much friendlier that if I were a squarehead.
Quote by metalblaster
Ahhh I hear ya man. I'm really hoping I can get a hole in once I get me a new blade. Then I'm gonna wrap myself up, go out on the lake with a thermos full of tea, some captain blacks, some beers and I'm just gonna sit there in the quiet and darkness and the embracing freezing cold. God I love the cold, no better feeling.

I'm supposed to go snowmobiling soon with a few of my friends. It's gonna be awesome, just tearing donuts on the ice and ripping down the ice road at 120.

OH YEAH!!!!! In Maine we got a bunch of shit weather this winter. Probably one or two good weekends of snowmobiling. Thing is up here, a lot of our trails are connected by lakes and the one I live on is barely frozen. A year ago... absolutely beautiful though. Hell we could have a parking lot on the ice and have snowmobile drag races, but it's not too sturdy, unfortunately.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I've gone ice fishing a few times here in New Mexico, but never caught anything. Wanted to go again this year, but just didn't have any time to go. Can't wait til the weather warms up a bit though, so I can go fly fishing.
Quote by cfhdomination
I've gone ice fishing a few times here in New Mexico, but never caught anything. Wanted to go again this year, but just didn't have any time to go. Can't wait til the weather warms up a bit though, so I can go fly fishing.

That's something I want to try. I don't know anything about fly fishing though. And I wouldn't even know where to look. I think you have to go in kind of shallow waters where there's fast current?
Quote by metalblaster
That's something I want to try. I don't know anything about fly fishing though. And I wouldn't even know where to look. I think you have to go in kind of shallow waters where there's fast current?

I'm still a beginner to fly fishing and still need to learn a lot. But it's fun as hell. I do pretty good in areas where the current doesn't run too fast. Where I go fishing, the stream isn't really deep so as far as water depth, I'm not too sure on how you'd fish that. Fly fishing is way more challenging than using bait and requires a hell of a lot more work/patience. It's addicting though.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I need to buy another fly rod and reel. My son ended up breaking mine, which is pretty old anyways
Last edited by cfhdomination at Jan 30, 2012,
Quote by metalblaster
So... Ice fishing. Who does it, who's done it, who wants to do it.

I went and tried to punch me a hole in the ice tonight. But no luck, about 4 inches of slush and then nothing but concrete solid ice. Tried everywhere but no luck. I'm thinking maybe i should sharpen my blade although its not really dull.

I wanted to make a hut for this winter but didn't have the money/time. Or even more money to pay for stupid fees and registration and bubble gum chewing license.

Discuss?

Hut = Iceshack?

We don't have any fees or registration to go fishing here in Canada or at least where I love

I go out and catch some fish and I take it home, clean it and eat it.
Of course there are laws that I have to throw back a fish if it's too big but otherwise I don't have to worry.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by skylerjames13
Hut = Iceshack?

We don't have any fees or registration to go fishing here in Canada or at least where I love

I go out and catch some fish and I take it home, clean it and eat it.
Of course there are laws that I have to throw back a fish if it's too big but otherwise I don't have to worry.

Ya I pretty much do the same. I'm in kind of a hotspot though, on the Ottawa river, about 25 minutes from downtown Ottawa. Petrie Island, lots of MNR guys, and even cops.

Well I know in Ontario you need a fishing license (mine just expired). If you have a hut/iceshack/same thing, you need to register it with MNR. Although they don't spend the winter scowering for unregistered huts, the fines can be pretty shitty I heard. Plus if you're going to an actual marina, or beach to bring your hut on the ice, they want you to pay a fee to do so, just like a fee for a using a boat launch. And some places will ask you to pay a fee just to put your hut on the ice, which would be on their property. Also, some places require you to sign up to their 'club' or whatever if you even want to use that area for any sort of fishing or setting up an ice hut, which obviously is not free.

Now I don't know if the whole registration thing varies from province to province, but MNR is federal, so they probably govern any area.

If you personally don't need a fishing license, than my guess is that you hold native status or whatever, and natives don't need fishing licenses and all that jazz.
Ice fishing isn't really my thing (or my dad's for that matter), but I do go out a couple times a year. It's normally a good time.
Quote by metalblaster
Ya I pretty much do the same. I'm in kind of a hotspot though, on the Ottawa river, about 25 minutes from downtown Ottawa. Petrie Island, lots of MNR guys, and even cops.

Well I know in Ontario you need a fishing license (mine just expired). If you have a hut/iceshack/same thing, you need to register it with MNR. Although they don't spend the winter scowering for unregistered huts, the fines can be pretty shitty I heard. Plus if you're going to an actual marina, or beach to bring your hut on the ice, they want you to pay a fee to do so, just like a fee for a using a boat launch. And some places will ask you to pay a fee just to put your hut on the ice, which would be on their property. Also, some places require you to sign up to their 'club' or whatever if you even want to use that area for any sort of fishing or setting up an ice hut, which obviously is not free.

Now I don't know if the whole registration thing varies from province to province, but MNR is federal, so they probably govern any area.

If you personally don't need a fishing license, than my guess is that you hold native status or whatever, and natives don't need fishing licenses and all that jazz.

Yeah I'm Native.
But over here, everyone puts their ice shack on a lake that's a few kilometres from town and they don't have to pay anything. And I don't think they have to pay for licenses.. but I could be wrong. I know for sure that you need licenses for hunting. Dunno about fishing though.
That sounds retarded though. In a remote area it's much better. More fish, less fees etc. It's pretty great.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by epiless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ_297osXNo

very relevent sorry if quality is shit.

Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by skylerjames13
Yeah I'm Native.
But over here, everyone puts their ice shack on a lake that's a few kilometres from town and they don't have to pay anything. And I don't think they have to pay for licenses.. but I could be wrong. I know for sure that you need licenses for hunting. Dunno about fishing though.
That sounds retarded though. In a remote area it's much better. More fish, less fees etc. It's pretty great.

Aaaah ok, so you have that advantage, lucky

yeah, if you put your shack sort of ''out there'' you're most likely never going to be bothered. Where are you at? I know in Ontario you need a fishing license if you're fishing, no excuses, you can actually loose your boat if you're caught fishing with no license, although it's rare, but its more for people who dont have licenses and catch and keep like 50 fish. But yeah, if you're native and have your card with you, no worries then.

When you think about it though, MNR has their own officers, and they are retardedly understaffed if they want to have near perfect efficient rule enforcement.