Hello UGers,

Recently, I've been assigned a Senior Project that is focused on career related subjects. Being that music is pretty much the only thing I know anything about, I picked playing guitar in association with being a Working Musician or a Guitar Teacher. Some of the requirements are that I need an interview from a Professional in whatever field, and also that I need 10 hours with a mentor. So, I did some research about some Classical Guitar Teachers and I found one guy charging 160 bucks per month, with one hour sessions a week. Now, I haven't ever taken lessons before, and I talked to the guy for a good 30 minutes today about various things, and he seems not only knowledgeable about music, but very charismatic and nice.

His qualifications are:

- Over 40 years of playing guitar
- Has a Creative Arts "Performance" degree in music
- Is a Lecturer in Guitar for 11 years and counting
- Leader of a Guitar Ensemble for a local College

Now, is $160 a month a fair deal? He even said that he wouldn't charge me if there was an extra lesson day in a month due to how the days fell.
Those are...like inhuman qualifications. I pay like $120/month (4 thirty minute lessons) for a guy that went to (graduated from) Berklee, plays in a kinda successful doom band, with like 12 years experience. I would definitely consider your situation a very good deal.
Quote by Skullivan
Those are...like inhuman qualifications. I pay like $120/month (4 thirty minute lessons) for a guy that went to (graduated from) Berklee, plays in a kinda successful doom band, with like 12 years experience. I would definitely consider your situation a very good deal.

Well, thanks then! I would have to scrape the money together, being that I am currently unemployed. Now, How much do you usually get done within a 30 minute time period? And if you had an hour, how much do you think would get done then?
Well it all depends on the teacher. Some teachers just put every student on the same "3-4 pages out of a book" routine, while some (the good teachers) custom fit lessons to your particular situation. It's hard to define how much I get done because my teacher is the first example, he gives me 3-4 pages out of this and one exercise a week from this .
If you have the mind to shoot the straight question "are you just gonna put me on this generic schedule, or are you gonna teach me what I need to learn?" Then that may be your best bet, but from seeing he is a classical guitarist, I assume he will be very disciplined and more along the lines of the "custom fit" teacher I mentioned.
Quote by Skullivan
Well it all depends on the teacher. Some teachers just put every student on the same "3-4 pages out of a book" routine, while some (the good teachers) custom fit lessons to your particular situation. It's hard to define how much I get done because my teacher is the first example, he gives me 3-4 pages out of this and one exercise a week from this .
If you have the mind to shoot the straight question "are you just gonna put me on this generic schedule, or are you gonna teach me what I need to learn?" Then that may be your best bet, but from seeing he is a classical guitarist, I assume he will be very disciplined and more along the lines of the "custom fit" teacher I mentioned.

Yeah, he seemed real cool with going off the beaten path and doing a few Music Theory lessons when I pointed a question about Music Theory. Thanks man for your responses. I'll probably go with this guy.