Hello, I wanted to seek out some advice from guitar experts on a purchase I'm looking to make.

So I bought a USB recording thingy (you plug in your guitar to it and then you can use it to record things through your computer). The problem is that I can't hear what I'm playing back. The recording sounds good, but if I want to use a effects pedal I can't hear it back.

So to fix this I figured I could buy a y-cord, one that I would put into the USB recorder, and the other into an amp so I could hear it while I'm playing.

I'm looking to get it off Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fishman-13-Foot-Stereo-Y-cable/dp/B000QDPURE

This is the right item I'm looking for, right? I don't want to waste money on it getting it if it's useless for what I need. Also, I know the input is stereo but it says the 2 outputs are mono, that won't mess up the recording too much (I don't care if it comes out in mono as long as the quality is not bad).
Be more specific about the "USB thingy" as there may be a monitoring option somewhere on it - failing that you should be able to connect headphones to your computer and use that to monitor.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
Be more specific about the "USB thingy" as there may be a monitoring option somewhere on it - failing that you should be able to connect headphones to your computer and use that to monitor.

Its this http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCG102-Guitar-to-USB-Interface/dp/B000PAPO9W/ref=pd_cp_e_0

When I click on playback option and select the USB recorder nothing plays back. I've read comments on this purchase and it may be possible, I'm not sure, but a lot people toiled with downloading different things to make that work. So the playback is the issue but recording works good.

That's why I wanted to buy this Y-cable. I was wondering if anyone has tried it or by reading it's description if it will fulfil my need.
What playback option? As far as I can tell you should be able to plug straight into the headphone jack... I tried a similar thing in a store a while back and it was relatively simple.
Quote by Slap-happy
What playback option? As far as I can tell you should be able to plug straight into the headphone jack... I tried a similar thing in a store a while back and it was relatively simple.

By playback option I mean the computer sounds options, where you normally choose your speakers.
I plug in my guitar into the USB recorder and that goes into the computer. The other hole is for headphones, however it doesn't work while recording... it only works if I'm not recording. So basically it gives you the option to hear what you are playing through the headphones OR record.

So has anyone used the y-cord before? It was fairly difficult to find, it doesn't seem to be too popular amongst guitar players. It's not surprising though because you would only really need it in specific situations.
Quote by Dan_5893
Have you tried turning Monitoring on in the software you're using to record?

Don't have such option. I just use a basic recording program made by Acoustica.
Last edited by fiend1 at Jan 30, 2012,
^this would appear to be your problem...
Download Reaper. http://www.reaper.fm/ After the "trial period" wears off, you can still use a fully functioning program, you just have to wait like 10 seconds when the program opens before you can do anything.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals