Since I have zero knowledge of college (I start next year), I have begun to think more and more about my band and being in school at the same time. Four out of the five members in our band will be in college next year, and my band is getting closer and closer to the point of where we want to start traveling and playing shows outside of our local area for more exposure. Then the thought came to me.

How would you be in a signed band and be in college at the same time?
From what I'd like to think, I'd like to assume that you just can't be.

What are the options? sorry if I sound stupid, but I'd really like an outlook on this.
What are the pros, what are the cons, what are the different things that could happen? Thanks so much
What Do You Stand For
Go to college in a city. Or tour during the summer.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Since I have zero knowledge of college (I'm too young and probably won't bother with it anyway), I'll give a negligible answer.

If I was in a signed band and was offered the chance to tour for heaps of money, then fuck college, I'm touring.
West Ham United
I'm in an unsigned band and in the middle of recording our first EP, and the three of us all go to different colleges. It's pretty difficult to do things, but when we come together again we have a deluge of great ideas.
Quote by King Donkey
Since I have zero knowledge of college (I'm too young and probably won't bother with it anyway), I'll give a negligible answer.

If I was in a signed band and was offered the chance to tour for heaps of money, then fuck college, I'm touring.

Ignore this post. Most tours barely break even, let alone make "heaps of money." Unless you're a headliner on a major label, you'll most likely end up sleeping in a van, hauling all of your own gear, and subsisting on ramen noodles just to barely turn a profit. Bands tour because playing live is fucking awesome, not because it pulls in money.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

Quote by Das_Skittles
Ignore this post. Most tours barely break even, let alone make "heaps of money." Unless you're a headliner on a major label, you'll most likely end up sleeping in a van, hauling all of your own gear, and subsisting on ramen noodles just to barely turn a profit. Bands tour because playing live is fucking awesome, not because it pulls in money.

That's what I meant, being on a major label as a headliner.
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey

This is a blunt way to say it, but I agree. If you get signed you will be making money instead of spending 7-25K/year depending on in-state or out-of-state residency. If you can see yourself playing music for the rest of your life, I don't see why you'd go to college if you got signed.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Quote by AlteredMaggot18
Here is another mind boggler what if you were doing sports????

To be honest, I would not consider that as time consuming as promoting a band. At the very least, they might be the same. Just my opinion.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Quote by King Donkey
That's what I meant, being on a major label as a headliner.

That applies to probably 2 dozen users on this entire website, at most. Most musicians have full time jobs, whether that's as a fry cook or teaching guitar lessons.

Quote by Pat_s1t

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by due 07

I'm in an unsigned band who recently recorded & are tryin' to work out some really shoestring econo way to put out a record & all three members go to different colleges. We wrote the bulk of the material over summer/Thanksgiving break, smoothed it over & recorded it over winter break, & are tryin' to do a small tour over summer break.

We trekked outta state last weekend & almost broke even on gas money.

So yeah, we go to college 'cuz there's no money in this shit.

EDIT:

I don't think major labels are gonna be throwin' a whole lot of cash money at rock bands right now, isn't the music industry a sinking ship these days?

I mean, not to be a buzzkill or anything, but even most well known indie labels aren't accepting mail-in demos these days. I've looked.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jan 30, 2012,
Do you think it's possible to be in college and be in a touring band at the same time?
What Do You Stand For