Okay, so I already have a PRS. I have the SE Custom 24, whale blue finish. I like it a lot and haven't done much with pups (yet).

The thing is, I REALLY like the look of the SE Custom Semi-Hollow.

Would there be much difference between the two, tone wise? Having 22 frets wouldn't bother me at all.
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Yes, it's just one song in particular, theres no shredding or fast solos.
It is a mellow, instrumental, clean, song.
(Please read sig...)

I would imagine that the Semi would be a little bit more mellow. However you could probably get around the same tone by rolling off on your tone knob on your Custom 24. I am unsure if you could get the same sound from the Semi if you wanted to sell your Custom 24.

The Custom also has an HFS Treble (bridge?) humbucker and Vintage (neck?) humbucker, whereas the Semi has an SE Treble and Bass humbucker in the neck and bridge.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
First of all, you can't really go wrong with either of those. Well done

Personally, I'd go for the semi-hollow. If you really dig it, get it - in the end, it's all about finding a guitar that's right for you. You REALLY like the look, you don't mind 22 frets, the tone might just be a little different. I see nothing wrong with that, in fact, one of the guitarists for Daath (metal band) uses a semi-hollow.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I don't know your kind of music, but beware of feedback.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
I love mine, it is very versatile and the tone is sex, and feedback is not an issue, I've used this for drop C through a mesa dual rec and the feedback was minimal, yes of course there's a bit more than say an ibanez BUT it is not even close to being a problem. Only upgrade I would do is tuners (the prs se stocks are shit) I put on some black grover locking tuners and they work amazing and are a direct drop in (and the black makes it look quite nice to ) so high reccomendation from me
GUITARS:
PRS Semi-Hollow Custom SE

Amps:
Peavey Ranger 2x12 Twin Killer

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
Meh. Looks like an SE to me.
Well, thanks for confirming you know absolutely nothing about PRS guitars.
Tanks a lot everyone! I know the pickups are different, but I was planning on getting a D-Sonic for the bridge and maybe an Air Norton for the neck anyway.
Would these pups have any problem with the semi-hollow? (Or the Custom 24 for that matter).
TABBERS WANTED
If you are interested, and are up to it, please PM me for more info on the song.
Quote by JRib1216
Tanks a lot everyone! I know the pickups are different, but I was planning on getting a D-Sonic for the bridge and maybe an Air Norton for the neck anyway.
Would these pups have any problem with the semi-hollow? (Or the Custom 24 for that matter).

I don't think there would be any problem with those, happily the semi is very easy to get inside of....BUT let me just throw out these pups for consideration: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP223-PAF-Bridge-Humbucker-36th-Anniversary-Electric-Guitar-Pickup-105153415-i1395701.gc

paired up with: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP156-Humbucker-From-Hell-302420-i1127705.gc

thats whats getting dropped into mine when I get the cash, spice up the life of a semi
GUITARS:
PRS Semi-Hollow Custom SE

Amps:
Peavey Ranger 2x12 Twin Killer

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
Meh. Looks like an SE to me.
Well, thanks for confirming you know absolutely nothing about PRS guitars.
save up for a 513!

Personally, seeing as though I've got the same guitar, I'd vote you stick with the one you have and upgrade it. I feel like the semi-hollow would probably be just a little bit less versatile, but really, if you're a very focused player, you might be better off with it.

So... go try one?
Quote by n1ckn1ce
BTW, what year is your SE24?

I think it's a 2009..
TABBERS WANTED
There's a pretty big difference in these guitars. You're kind of changing everything. My suggestion, get one of each.

But yeah, your CU24 is a wide thin neck with 24 frets. The HB is a wide fat neck with 22 frets.

The solid body vs. semi-hollow is a big difference (both sound great, but again significantly different).

The pickups (as you've acknowledged already) are quite different. And honestly, the guitars themselves are going to have enough tonal differences that you'll want different pups for each of them (if you decide you want to go aftermarket). It's not a "one size fits all" proposition.

Heck, even the bridges could be different (you haven't mentioned if both are trem/fixed or different)...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
In flat top guitars like this, the hollow construction isn't going to have as large effect as it does with carved/archtops, which is the sort of tone most people think of when they think of hollow guitars.

Generally, assuming all other factors (pickups, controls, woods, hardware, set up, etc) are the same, a semi-hollow version of a flat top guitar is going to have a little less detail in the treble and the longer you sustain a note the more the mids will be present, as the treble and bass ill drop away a little quicker but the mids stay on. Not ideal for distorted rhythm playing, but great for any lead playing or clean rhythm.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.