so i played at a school talent show recently. i didn't win first (i won third) but it was enough to get me into the city talent show.

even though i think the music was good (while there is always room for improvement) i think the "show" part of the talent show rather than the "talent" part was what held us back

i don't have time to write and rehearse another song since the state show is in 3 days but i think we might be able to choreograph something by that time.
how can we "wow" the audience more. how can we put emphasis in the "show"?

here's a link to the talent show performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca3fxsYG5bE&feature=plcp&context=C3718744UDOEgsToPDskJMiLoVNqUY_Rn8BtAbHFf8

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by aroyy at Jan 30, 2012,
malformed video id or something

im a firm believer in producing near album quality results live
I see you trying to rock out, and it's cool, but a charismatic front man usually adds something to a show that you just can't get out of 3 dudes standing onstage playing instruments.
i agree that quality of the music comes first. but when i go to a show what i really want to see is that the performers are really into the music they are playing. so i would say don't choreograph anything, just do whatever you would do if you were listening to your own song alone in your room. you guys sound great by the way.
Your show is 2 guitars and drums.

You guys do put on a good act (although your should be closer together physically), and the music is tight enough (I think, dodgy recording), but you're lacking a whole heap of bass frequencies which funnily enough, come from the bass. There doesn't appear to be much of a melody line, we're just stuck with 3 dudes wanking out on your instruments.

I'm actually surprised you got bumped up to the next level - I wouldn't personally listen to it for an extended period of time. It just sounds like one of those aimless bedroom jams that are meant to stay in the bedroom.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Get a slow lorris and teach it to shuffle hardstyle. Have it dance on stage while you play.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Quote by AlanHB
Your show is 2 guitars and drums.

You guys do put on a good act (although your should be closer together physically), and the music is tight enough (I think, dodgy recording), but you're lacking a whole heap of bass frequencies which funnily enough, come from the bass. There doesn't appear to be much of a melody line, we're just stuck with 3 dudes wanking out on your instruments.

I'm actually surprised you got bumped up to the next level - I wouldn't personally listen to it for an extended period of time. It just sounds like one of those aimless bedroom jams that are meant to stay in the bedroom.

Stage presence isn't lacking.

The music is.

The instruments aren't saying anything and competing for the same space; until you decide who is going to play what, where...yeah I echo Alan...I think you're looking at the wrong reasons you didn't win.

Id suggest that you also need to work on your melodies, riffs, and note choices. You aren't nearly as skilled or articulate as your stage demeanor would indicate, (lots of off notes and bends going flat, and plenty of instances of weak and off time phrasing)and if I watched this, I'd see it as subterfuge, as a way to hide the fact that musically you're not saying anything. I'd suggest slowing things down, with the drummer and creating space, and respect your audience more.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jan 30, 2012,