Hey guys,

I have done my research and have shortlisted a few guitars but now i need some specific advice. Firstly, just wanted to let you know that I have this Ibanez grg170dx and now i wanna upgrade to a better guitar around £500-£600. I currently have Marshall MG15CD ( I know it's crap but thats the amp i currently have lol ) and a line 6 pocket pod which I mostly use now with my headphones or stereo speakers cuz it does sound much much better than the amp.

I m not looking to buy an amp right now and i wanna spend all my money firstly on a good guitar. Will the pocket pod do justice to the guitars in this price range or is it a must to buy an amp? I have also read people saying that it is better to save and spend money on a tube amp rather than buying a high wattage modelling amp.

I usually play metal, stuff like megadeth, metallica, dream theater, iron maiden etc but I dont want to limit myself just to metal cuz sometimes i enjoy playing clean, people-friendly songs (you know songs that girls would dig, coldplay, wonderwall stuff lol). From what i have read, i think passive pickups(dimarzios, duncans) would be good for me but i have also read that emgs also produce good clean sound. Now should i go for active or passive?

I went to some local guitar shops and tried out esp/ltd, ibanez, jackson and prs and I obviously preferred ibanez. I love ibanez's thin nick and it feels really comfortable and I know it's because i m used to it but the thing is now i wanna switch to some other brand and I cant decide which one would be best for me. I found prs to be thicker, indifferent between esp and jackson.

Before I list the guitars down, I cant yet decide whether I need a tremolo or not. Now the thing is that I had a spring tremolo in my grg170dx and it was so bad that i had to block the bridge by putting an extra spring. The thing is that i would prefer a floyd rose tremolo but i have read that it is very difficult to set up, maintain and get in tune. Now I have never done any set ups and i dont plan to actually so if i break string or something happens how costly is it to get it setup from a guitar shop? Would u recommend a guy like me to get a guitar with tremolo? Other than this i have read about edge-III and edge-II being crap so I have not even looked at the guitars and i cant find any edge, edge pro or lo pro edge guitars BUT i have seen these new ibanez with edge zero 2 tremolo? Now what the hell is that and is it any good? How does it compare with those crap edge-III/II?

OK NOW THE GUITARS LOL!

JACKSON DK2T
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/jackson-dk2t-dinky-trans-black/20450

JACKSON DKMG
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/jackson-dkmg-trans-black/16235 (how's the tremolo?)

JACKSON DK2M
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/jackson-dk2m-maple-neck-snow-white/16212 (again tremolo?)

ESP MH350FR and ESP MH1000FR (DIFFERENCE?)

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-mh-350fr-see-thru-red/28470
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-mh-1000fr-see-thru-black/16901

Second Hand ESP LTD H1001FR with EMGs (See Thru Black Cherry)
Good condition, re-strung with 9 plus a new set-up and clean.
Price for this item: £499.00
And how about this deal? Is it worth buying a second hand guitar?

IBANEZ RGT6EXFX
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rgt6exfx/18355

IBANEZ RG 1570
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg1570/3381 (EDGE-pRO :O)

IBANEZ RG420
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rg420fbz-nbf-natural-brown-burst-flat/45270 (EDGE ZERO-II)

I know ibanez has poor pickups as compared to the others i have listed but would it be a good idea get an ibanez and replace the stock pups?

I have also looked at some dean and bc rich guitars online? Are they any good? And yeah m not after any x,z,u,v,z shape guitars, just want the normal modern shape ones.

I think I have covered all my needs, have I? Yeah prob, anyway, would really appreciate some PRO-HELP! Cheers!
As far as I know, Schecter makes awesome guitars in that price range.
Also, look for a used LTD-EC1000 if you don't mind singlecuts. They're awesome guitars for the price if you can find a used one.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp

1570 prestige.

just thought i would give you the bug. the whitish glitter is a 3550MZ and the silver is a 2570VSL. both killer guitars. JCraft makes some great guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the replies guys but i think i had a few more questions, and can you also give me specific advice on the guitars i listed?
Line 6, making all the guitars sound the same since 1996. But still, buy a guitar first. Jackson DK2T is nice with Seymour Duncan, but Ibanez RG1570 has better craftmanship. If you look for LTD, H-351 NT.

All need some mod though. Jackson DK2 and LTD H-351 Nt would hard ware change, while the Ibanez rg1570 would need a pickup change. If you can find, buy Ibanez RG1520A, that's a limited run, has Dimarzio IBZ pickups, Edge Pro trem, and is cheaper then RG1570, while being just a lot better. But as it's limited from 2010, it's kinda hard to find.

Btw: Dean Vendetta 4F or DC6F.

Vendetta 4F: Neck-Thru body construction. Maple neck, mahogany body.Dean DMT Pickups (they are very good for stock, but later change with Dimarzio could be nice) Original Floyd Rose( not special or 1000 series, highest quality Original one.) Maple top, maple back. 700$

DC6F: Bolt-On (merely) Alder body, maple neck, ebony fingeboard. Emg 81-85 Both uses grover tuners. Original Floyd Rose as well.
Last edited by cemges at Jan 30, 2012,
Hi mate,

regarding those Jacksons, when it says "Please ring" that means GAK dont actually have them.

If your after something nice, drop me a PM and we can have a chat.

Tom

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
done mate, waiting for ur reply... it would be great if someone could answer my questions.. i think i had quite a few other questions as well...
You can ask eveyone in thread actually. Everyone would respond. Btw I've tried all the models
which are in your list.
i have asked all the questions in my first post, if you could please read the whole post and answer my questions, that would be awesome!
Ok, about the ones i didn't answer.

I personally don't love B.C Rich.
Tremolo is not needed, actually i prefer TOM bridge, for being more pratic for drop tunings and have better sustain. I also prefer 22 frets, which is enough, and I also love sound of neck pick -up.

I don't love active pickups, I need a nice clean sound. They can't give me that. I don't love their distorted sound too! Too digitalized and you can't even understand what you play with that output. Btw: Edge Zero II is better then Edege III. It is adjustable and has better tuning stability.

A good amp at house is not needed. What you have is enough to practice. You have a long way to get your own tone.

Thicker neck gives better feel I think. Some people love old V neck, they wan't to place their hands on neck to play. But for shredders, it is not an ideal option. If you mostly play on high frets, it's harder to play solos then a fender strat. But it just take a little time to get used. Then it won't be a problem. Jackson neck are known for thinner necks when compared to a PRS. I love PRS but they are not what I love.

And don't recommend bolt-on neck at all, if you have choice.

Hope I could help you.
Quote by blue90
done mate, waiting for ur reply... it would be great if someone could answer my questions.. i think i had quite a few other questions as well...

Replied.

Ring me tomorrow?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Replied.

Ring me tomorrow?

Didnt get ur message mate :/
right guys i have kind of made up my mind... just need a few clarifications

how would these three necks compare to each other, dk2t vs dk2m vs dkmg? I have heard that they are quite chunky :/, how would they compare to rg 1570's neck?

I am also confused as to why does dk2m cost the same as dk2t? The only difference i see is the maple fingerboard vs rosewood fingerboard and dk2m has a floyd rose so shouldnt it be expensive? Are there any differences in build quality or something?

Thanks again guys!
I put so much effort into this post and this is the help i get :S!

Biggest guitar forum on the internet (2.4m members) and this is the response! disappointed!
Quote by blue90
I put so much effort into this post and this is the help i get :S!

Biggest guitar forum on the internet (2.4m members) and this is the response! disappointed!

patience.

thats not what to say if you want help.

maybe people aren't sure enough for a solid answer. i had two jacksons two years ago, a DKMGT and IIRC another DK with some others numbers/letters behind it.

now i have two prestiges 2570VSL and a 3550MZ.

the jacksons are a quality build. i remember that, i remembered liking the cmpd radius fretboard. as far as that, that is all i remember.

my prestiges are godly (especially with what i paid for them). yea pickups are weaker than some, swapping is cheap and easy. everything good and solid. thinner neck as anybody can tell you, i have big hands and don't have trouble going from a wizard neck to a Gibsons 50's necks on one of my les pauls.

unfortuantely that is all i remember.

go play some.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
The dk2m's neck is far from chunky. Its quite thin by average standards. Looks like the same profile for the dk2t. I'd get the rg1570 personally, even though I hated the stock pickups.
The neck on the 1570 is prolly slightly thicker then your used to, but its still wicked thin and fast as hell. Pickup swaps can be cheap trashed^ but it sure wasn't for my last swap, bkps are bloody expensive.

I play through a pod x3 over half my time playing, you prolly wont notice a huge difference in tone, as its like 90% the unit (made up #) but its not gonna hurt anything by having a far better playing guitar.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Feb 1, 2012,
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
The dk2m's neck is far from chunky. Its quite thin by average standards. Looks like the same profile for the dk2t. I'd get the rg1570 personally, even though I hated the stock pickups.
The neck on the 1570 is prolly slightly thicker then your used to, but its still wicked thin and fast as hell. Pickup swaps can be cheap trashed^ but it sure wasn't for my last swap, bkps are bloody expensive.

I play through a pod x3 over half my time playing, you prolly wont notice a huge difference in tone, as its like 90% the unit (made up #) but its not gonna hurt anything by having a far better playing guitar.

i guess cheap is a relative term. $200 is probably going to be what i drop. cheap considering options out there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!